Let's Discuss One-Shots

Slick

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
I suspect @Oupa would be shooting himself in the foot if he released this as a one-shot!
This is an ongoing discussion for quite a while now,there are some people that will never DIY and only buy commercial juice,while others will ONLY DIY and never buy commercial juice,so by @Oupa releasing XXX as a 1shot he will cater for both parties,which will result in him making much more money and all of us being very happy

This is an ongoing discussion for quite a while now,there are some people that will never DIY and only buy commercial juice,while others will ONLY DIY and never buy commercial juice,so by @Oupa releasing XXX as a 1shot he will cater for both parties,which will result in him making much more money and all of us being very happy

Yip. No commercial juice maker will get me to buy more than one bottle of their juice a year. That's how little I buy.

One Shots would get me buying from them regularly.

My friend however, could not be bothered mixing. He wants his stuff now and made, without caring of cost.

Not to stir up anything,but I think with the juice market being flooded now compare to a few years ago,juice makers will be forced to introduce 1shots if they want to remain in business,and thats why some have started already

So maybe this warrants a thread for itself!

What is everyone's take on one-shots?

I'm personally all for them, the cheaper I can get tasty juices the better! However I'm terrible at DIY so one-shots solve that problem. I get a commercial juice at a fraction of the cost... Win!

Personally I was under the impression that the one-shots we're seeing released are either specifically created for this particular market, or maybe an older juice that is needing a "bump" in the market, and I saw it as one market. However some of the guys have made me re-look at it. Saying that by creating a one-shot, a juice maker is actually opening up the doors into the DIY market, and not just offering everyone a cheaper route to their delicious goods, and thereby the juice-maker is extending their reach.

I've kept it in the general forum so vendors making these cannot reply, so please don't encourage them to do so. But if any of them want to weigh in let me know and I'll move it.

@rogue zombie and @Slick ... I've moved some of your posts here that aren't directly related to the Red Pill thread, hope you don't mind?
Thanks @Stosta ,just an example,NCV never got any business from me,but since he started Selfmade 1shot of Burst I immediately purchased it because for R110 I could make 150mls of juice,if more juice makers started selling 1shots I would buy even more,so win win!

One shots for the win.
With so many one shots becoming more and more available ive sold all my diy concentrates and moved to one shots only now.
Great juices, hasstle free (as aposed to diy) and more afordable.

One thing i am hoping for is that b&m vape stores start stocking 1 shots as i hate paying R80 shipping for a R110 product.

One-shots are becoming a viable way forward for DIY. There are too many flavour brands now. Vape Train arriving with a whole bunch of top-rated new flavours, while I'm still only just getting started with HS, Flv, PUR and others, just makes First Rule even more problematic. The days are over when you could gather enough flavours to realistically make, say, 60% of new recipes. I go onto the ATF new recipes section now and virtually every recipe I just hit the Back button immediately. It's not that I'm missing one flavour and could maybe sub. It's that I'm missing four of the five flavours in the recipe. And I have well over 300 flavours now.

So do I splash out on another 800 flavours and watch as they slowly degrade without any chance of me using them up in time? Or do I stick with restocking the best flavours I have, and use one-shots to supplement the recipes I can make? The latter makes a lot more sense to me.

With nobody really knowing yet what the government plans to do about regulating vape goods, this could be a move in the right direction where things will work almost like in the UK. According to @Timwis you get your juice and nic separate and just mix the required nic. Oneshots just take it a bit further with the pg and vg as well.

I truly believe there will ALWAYS be a commercial juice market. Most of my vaping mates, as I've said, no matter the arguments I give them, will not make juice. They either busy, not into vaping as a hobby or the type of person that just doesn't enjoying cooking for example.

I will always have local One Shots, now, in my kit - because:
A. The pricing I've seen on the local stuff makes sense.
B. I've to a large extent preferred some of local commercial juice makers, than most international ones.

Another point I have to raise. With the current set ups, I know students automatically turn to DIY because of the cost factor. Where are students supposed to find R1K plus for their month supply of juice. I know a few students that make the most basic of DIY stuff, purely because of financial reasons.

BUT please for the love of things good... don't go and sell these mixed as your own juices now. Please don't anyone look for a quick buck, because it will all come tumbling down. That would be unethic, wanker'ish and serves nobody in the future.

If someone tries your juice (1shot), point them to where they can buy it and how to easily make it. You will not make millions making juice unless you go massive. And you will never go massive selling others stuff.

The simple truth of the matter for me as that I will more easily and more regularly part with my hard earned money when I feel there is more value in it for me ... and that is definitely the case with one-shots.
The majority of my budget goes towards DIY supplies. I still buy commercial juice but they get a very small share of that budget. Give me the one-shots I want to vape and the budget will certainly shift a bit towards that market.

I truly believe there will ALWAYS be a commercial juice market. Most of my vaping mates, as I've said, no matter the arguments I give them, will not make juice. They either busy, not into vaping as a hobby or the type of person that just doesn't enjoying cooking for example.
I completely agree with this. I have a friend that does have all the gear for DIY but still orders ready made juice from a juice maker that also sells one-shots of the same juice that he orders.

With my work hours being basically from 6 - 6 I've had to come to terms with the fact that my diy time (and coil building/rewicking) is going to take a decent hit... couple of one shot mixes every few weeks will definitely be more convenient and easier

Sure you lose the whole advantage of infinite flavour possibilities and the one shot variety is still very limited at this point in time but hey can't win them all :D

That being said,I know vendors cannot reply here but if you reading this I suggest you get on the bandwagon of 1shots before its too late (drop mic)

Sure you lose the whole advantage of infinite flavour possibilities and the one shot variety is still very limited at this point in time but hey can't win them all

On the contrary, I think it can open a whole new wormhole with possibilities. You can still mix at any concentration you prefer. And if you feel a mix need something extra you can go ahead and add whatever you want. It can be treated just like another concentrate.

All valid points gents!

But here's my side of it. I love Red Pill (as it so happens where this all came from). I would actually pay double for it, because every other juice, no matter how good it is, isn't my vape (think of it like stinkies, you could smoke a million but wouldn't feel satisfied unless you had one of your own brand). Now I don't want a discussion around Red Pill, it could be any name really... But if the juice maker brought it out in a one shot version, don't you think he would lose a lot on people like me that have to have their juice? Or do the benefits of opening up to the DIY community make up for this loss?

All valid points gents!

But here's my side of it. I love Red Pill (as it so happens where this all came from). I would actually pay double for it, because every other juice, no matter how good it is, isn't my vape (think of it like stinkies, you could smoke a million but wouldn't feel satisfied unless you had one of your own brand). Now I don't want a discussion around Red Pill, it could be any name really... But if the juice maker brought it out in a one shot version, don't you think he would lose a lot on people like me that have to have their juice? Or do the benefits of opening up to the DIY community make up for this loss?
Only 1 way to find out,hehe! Diy community is the biggest department in vaping compare to all the other departments,1000's of people buying 1shots from you sounds like a good deal

@Stosta, I think there are pros and cons for each. I don't buy commercial juice at all. So what makes more sense for the manufacturer: selling both of us a one-shot for R100 or selling you a juice for R200 and selling me nothing? That is a line that each manufacturer will draw for themselves. Do you want fewer customers paying more, or more customers paying less?

The interesting thing for me is that Wayne does well from his one-shots despite the recipe being freely available. I don't need a one-shot of Obsidian, I can buy the ingredients and mix it myself. But do I want to buy FW Pie Crust when it's not used in any recipes other than Obsidian? Not really. So I prefer to buy Wayne's one-shot.

A bottle of Obsidian one-shot might last me six months. And when it's done, it's done - I don't have drips and drabs left over in four or five bottles. A bottle of FW Pie Crust, making Obsidian with the same regularity as the one-shot, might last me three years. It'll probably go off after two years, maybe even less. And even if I buy all the flavours for Obsidian, they get used up at different rates. So I might be sitting with 9ml of the smallest % flavour in Obsidian but only 1ml of the largest percentage flavour. So I have stock levels all over the place.

On the other hand, the one-shot takes away my ability to subtract. If I mix the recipe, I can leave out the sweetener. In the one-shot, I can't. In the recipe, I can change the balance between the different notes. In the one-shot, they are welded together. So it's a very fine balancing act and everybody will have their own preferences.

Could the juice maker not still make the ready to buy version for people not wanting the bother of mixing a one shot, thereby keeping both sides of the market.

Could the juice maker not still make the ready to buy version for people not wanting the bother of mixing a one shot, thereby keeping both sides of the market.

They will, I think the fear is that if the one-shot becomes available, sales of commercial will dry up. I don't ever see that happening. There are too many people who don't want to mix at all. They want their juice ready in a bottle and are willing to pay extra for it. It's like coils, there is no way that everybody will make their own coils. So stock coils will always be available for those who don't want to faff about with resistances and pulsing and fiddling with installation and wicking. A lot of people want fuss-free vaping.

@Stosta Yes, but you would still buy the 1shot... And so would I, and "then this DIY dude I tell about it might buy. And the folks that don't DIY would still buy. And my friend who only buys commercial, but hasn't tried it, would try my 1shot and go buy the commercial.

In my head it makes total business sense.

The way some commercial guys are going about it makes the most sense to me.

DiYers don't follow the "in thing flavours" as much. So when your particular commercial juice slows down, sell it as a 1shot.

All valid points gents!

This is gonna sound funny, but I've never once bought XXX and consider it the best mentholated juice on the market. I was lucky to get some from @KZOR. You may ask (I'm asking myself as well) why I've never bought it when its so damn good!? I guess the reason is that buying a 30ml wont be enough. It'll last 3 days probably and I wont be happy If I dont get my XXX fix. To me, Uncle Rob is a good example of why it is so good. Hence why I've clone it or at least try to get close to it. I.M.O It does not come close to the OG but at least I can get a similar taste.

I can imagine the convo with my actual friend, who almost only vapes Paulies:

ME: "Hey man you can buy Coffee Cake in 1shot..."

HIM: "Really. Cool. Then what?"

ME: "You buy Nic, PG, VG and mix it."

HIM: "Oh... nah."

:D

Last edited:
Back