Level 6 Water Restrictions - Cape Town

@Raindance a tip is to use your already recycled washing machine water to fill your pool slowly.also get some surgical alcohol for those bites.it works like a charm
@Hooked it takes the itch away and counters the venom the mosquito leaves behind

Good tip @Resistance - thanks! I guess by "surgical alcohol" you mean rubbing alcohol, the same that we use to clean our mods? If so, pharmacy AND their suppliers are out of stock due to the Day Zero panic buying. I've got one bottle left though and since I don't think smearing toothpaste on my mods, I'll keep it for cleaning them.

@Hooked I still make it 300 bigger than the tank to compensate for whoever worked there before me.the last person always get blamed.and I got you a link

http://www.rainharvest.co.za/2012/10/how-to-prepare-a-base-for-a-water-tank-on-the-ground/

@Resistance Thanks a lot for the link! You'll be shocked to hear that when I bought the house, the tank wasn't even on a base. It was flat on the ground. I had it raised simply because I couldn't get a container under its tap.

I saw on FB this morning that there are fire warnings out for CT, because it's so dry and, they say, extremely hot conditions are expected this week. I don't know about that - I'm sitting here with a light jacket! Grey sea, grey skies ... holding thumbs for rain and Id on't care what colour it is!

Hope there won't be fires here. Yzer, fynbos and wind go hand-in-hand and we have no fire station. They'd have to dispatch from Malmesbury, I guess, or Tableview, either of which would take about 45 mins. to get here. And the house next door has a thatch roof.
Charming - and you can take that whichever way you want ;).

I bought two small (1.5kg) fire extinguishers last year - one for the garage and one for the kitchen in case of a gas fire. Most peeps have gas hobs here, although my oven is electrical. Love cooking on gas - it's so quick and it's an easily regulated "mod"!!!

I saw on FB this morning that there are fire warnings out for CT, because it's so dry and, they say, extremely hot conditions are expected this week. I don't know about that - I'm sitting here with a light jacket! Grey sea, grey skies ... holding thumbs for rain and Id on't care what colour it is!

Hope there won't be fires here. Yzer, fynbos and wind go hand-in-hand and we have no fire station. They'd have to dispatch from Malmesbury, I guess, or Tableview, either of which would take about 45 mins. to get here. And the house next door has a thatch roof.
Charming - and you can take that whichever way you want ;).

I bought two small (1.5kg) fire extinguishers last year - one for the garage and one for the kitchen in case of a gas fire. Most peeps have gas hobs here, although my oven is electrical. Love cooking on gas - it's so quick and it's an easily regulated "mod"!!!
So we know if your neighbours house burns down who to investigate first :D

Calling all Forumites in CT.
Here's the opportunity for which you've been waiting your entire life. Now, your dream can come true:

http://www.capetownetc.com/water-cr...recruits-volunteers-to-manage-water-stations/

The City of Cape Town is trying to avoid mayhem when the taps run dry by recruiting volunteers. They have asked neighbourhood watch groups, to manage and assist at the 200 water collection points.

Volunteer duties will include dispensing water at the collection points, managing of queues, sanitising water dispensing pipes and assisting officials with the smooth running of logistical arrangements on site.

Mayco member JP Smith said at a meeting on Saturday, ”This will be a mammoth undertaking and we’ll need as many hands as possible to ensure that it’s done in a manner that’s well coordinated, with everybody knowing what’s expected of them.”

Smith also added community organisations will be assisting with education and awareness drives and will also be tasked with identifying vulnerable communities and providing assistance.

Anthony Rees, Chairperson of Gardens Neighbourhood watch, who was at the meeting said about 600 people attended.

He added, “It was stated that law enforcement will accompany electronic water meter installers to homes where owners refuse to have them installed. It was also said they are going to get really tough on people obstructing them. They are installing +- 2000 units a week.”

And "mayhem" there will be! No ways would I volunteer for such a thing!!

Calling all Forumites in CT.
Here's the opportunity for which you've been waiting your entire life. Now, your dream can come true:

http://www.capetownetc.com/water-cr...recruits-volunteers-to-manage-water-stations/

The City of Cape Town is trying to avoid mayhem when the taps run dry by recruiting volunteers. They have asked neighbourhood watch groups, to manage and assist at the 200 water collection points.

Volunteer duties will include dispensing water at the collection points, managing of queues, sanitising water dispensing pipes and assisting officials with the smooth running of logistical arrangements on site.

Mayco member JP Smith said at a meeting on Saturday, ”This will be a mammoth undertaking and we’ll need as many hands as possible to ensure that it’s done in a manner that’s well coordinated, with everybody knowing what’s expected of them.”

Smith also added community organisations will be assisting with education and awareness drives and will also be tasked with identifying vulnerable communities and providing assistance.

Anthony Rees, Chairperson of Gardens Neighbourhood watch, who was at the meeting said about 600 people attended.

He added, “It was stated that law enforcement will accompany electronic water meter installers to homes where owners refuse to have them installed. It was also said they are going to get really tough on people obstructing them. They are installing +- 2000 units a week.”

And "mayhem" there will be! No ways would I volunteer for such a thing!!
I said it before and will say it again.they waisting money on these metres but to them it seems they doing good.they need to take the money and come up with more dams.purifying plants like desalinisation and education for the people that's ignorant to saving not just water but all other recourses

Sent from my VF-696 using Tapatalk

I said it before and will say it again.they waisting money on these metres but to them it seems they doing good.they need to take the money and come up with more dams.purifying plants like desalinisation and education for the people that's ignorant to saving not just water but all other recourses

My builder is currently invovled in a dispute with the municipality. They sent him an account of R2,000 for water, for one month. He claims that it's impossible for him to have used that much water. There are only 2 adults and one child in the house; no pool; a waterwise garden. He also recycles his washing machine and shower water into the toilet. He asked the Inspector to come to his house to look at the water metre and they found that the digits on the reading were out of alignment, thus giving a false reading. So ... one must stand up for oneself!

My builder is currently invovled in a dispute with the municipality. They sent him an account of R2,000 for water, for one month. He claims that it's impossible for him to have used that much water. There are only 2 adults and one child in the house; no pool; a waterwise garden. He also recycles his washing machine and shower water into the toilet. He asked the Inspector to come to his house to look at the water metre and they found that the digits on the reading were out of alignment, thus giving a false reading. So ... one must stand up for oneself!
One of my clients had this new regulatory water mains fitted before they bought their house.Then they had a leak but obviously didn't know.Their bill amounted to R45 000 and they are still fiting the municipality because nobody set the limit on the meter and the municipality don't want to take the blame

Had a bit of a cloudburst here just now. Never seen hail like this in Cape Town.
Garden in flooded and all my tanks are overflowing.
IMG_0679.JPG IMG_0680.JPG
IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0686.JPG
Seems there is more underway.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 7
As much as I'm happy to see this I hope the weather doesn't do a 180 and flooding ensues.
This was a bit of a storm. The type of thing we see on "Storm Chasers". Just hoping we do not start getting tornadoes, we had one a few years back. The clouds were churning in circles earlier on.

Glad for the water though.

Regards

This was a bit of a storm. The type of thing we see on "Storm Chasers". Just hoping we do not start getting tornadoes, we had one a few years back. The clouds were churning in circles earlier on.

Glad for the water though.

Regards
That's ludicrous, where do you stay?
In Newlands we had short showers for a little less than an hour today. It was an insanely hot day this side.

I see you stay brackenfell side. So weird that you got hail while I'm here less than 50k's from you and sweating like crazy

That's ludicrous, where do you stay?
In Newlands we had short showers for a little less than an hour today. It was an insanely hot day this side.
Was depressingly hot earlier and still is inside the house. Brackenfell is usually a couple of degrees hotter than the lower regions of Goodwood and Bellville.

I love a good thunderstorm. That is what I love about Gauteng. Just rather crappy flying through this stuff.

Regards

It was dripping in Durbanville too.like a Jo'burg quick mini thunderstorm and a Durban tropical heat

It was dripping in Durbanville too.like a Jo'burg quick mini thunderstorm and a Durban tropical heat

The funniest thing about all this is it was so hot my apprentice was working topless.the. it started raining.he put his top on and went inside

Back