Limited Lux mod - Saved from drowning.

Raindance

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
My daughter handed me her mod, with the words it's acting funny. Kept giving a "no atomizer" message despite ruling out various atomizers as the offending party.

Closer inspection revealed juice peeking through the usb aperture as well as within the 510 connector. It was rather evident what happened here and the prognosis was not favorable. At six months of age, this mod was to young to die without me trying some CPR.

WARNING: What follows may be unsuitable for sensitive readers. (On a serious note, I do not recommend anyone else tries this and if they do, they do so at their own risk.)

After removing the batteries the nickel portion of the mod was submerged in Mentholated Spirits and agitated every two to three minutes. This lasted about ten minutes until i was rather sure all juice had been dissolved and washed away.

Concerned that the evaporation time of the spirits would be significantly prolonged if the unit remains sealed, I proceeded to disassemble it. Dried the most of the spirits with TP and let it dry for an hour or so. Assembled it and tested. Success! Was working perfectly again. For a while...
DSC_0613.JPG
Next feedback I got was that the mod was now completely dead and unresponsive to all forms of stimuli.

Opened her up again and the strong smell of spirits confirmed my suspicion that the short drying period was way to optimistic. Let her dry for another six or so hours, part of that time with board lying on the windowsill in indirect sunlight, and we are back in business.
DSC_0617.JPG DSC_0621.JPG
Moral of the story:
1. Do not just fill and charge your mod without regularly removing the atty and batteries and giving it a good wipe down while checking for possible leaks and other damage. At least once a day would be a good practice.
2. I'm done with bottom airflow atomizers! There are many mods out there where the 510 connector is not (properly) sealed to the mod casing and a single juice dump can be catastrophic. In this case it is suspected that prolonged exposure to condensation buildup around the atty base was the culprit.
3. If you are the "sponsor" of friends or family that rely on you for the technical aspects of vaping, routinely do these checks for them. Encourage them to do the same.
4. Don't take risks like the one I took here without accepting that it could have totally killed the mod. Could even have caused bodily harm were I not aware of the risks and taken precautions to avert them. This mod will remain in my possession for another 48 hours to ensure all is safe and dry before being returned.
5. Do not be too much in a hurry to do the job right the first time round. Rather take a nap and continue later.
DSC_0618.JPG

Hope sharing this experience can save others some time, money and effort.

Regards

Attachments

• DSC_0616.JPG
    DSC_0616.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 22
Wow, congrats on the CPR exercise @Raindance - I enjoyed that!
Glad you got it sorted.

I don't see myself doing that sort of operation to a mod - but good advice there on removing batts and tank and cleaning it out regularly. I am guilty of not doing that often, if at all.

About that mentholated spirits.... :rolleyes:

I'm done with bottom airflow atomizers! There are many mods out there where the 510 connector is not (properly) sealed to the mod casing and a single juice dump can be catastrophic.

Shout-out to the Eleaf 60W TC mod. I have two of them and they are regularly exposed to juice flooding through over-dripping on my Hadaly with its very shallow juice well, and then also leaking from the Virus which tried both bottom and side airflow with only limited success at stopping bottom airflow leaking. My Pico also suffers the odd leak and I once drenched it by taking the whole nozzle off my dripping bottle, not just the cap. None of the mods has missed a beat. Is this something that Eleaf got right or have I just been lucky?

Shout-out to the Eleaf 60W TC mod. I have two of them and they are regularly exposed to juice flooding through over-dripping on my Hadaly with its very shallow juice well, and then also leaking from the Virus which tried both bottom and side airflow with only limited success at stopping bottom airflow leaking. My Pico also suffers the odd leak and I once drenched it by taking the whole nozzle off my dripping bottle, not just the cap. None of the mods has missed a beat. Is this something that Eleaf got right or have I just been lucky?
Possibly a bit of both. Having opened up this Lux mod, I am rather shaken by how little the board os protected from leaks from above. Add that to not regularly wiping down and under the atty and disaster is imminent. The only time the atty ever gets removed is when i do a recoil every 2 to 3 weeks or so. She does her own rewicking so I get little time with her mod. What worries me now is that she also uses my double cab on a daily basis... Scary thoughts.

I only remove and wipe down when there is juice pooling at the base of the atty and flowing down the sides. Usually the 510 is completely filled with juice. :eek: Yet it doesn't seem to affect the electronics at all.

Back