Lockdown diaries - COVID-19 matters!

What are you going to be doing during the lockdown?

• At home. I’m non essential

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Working. The virus doesn’t scare me

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • On standby

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Working from home. Too essential to take any risk!

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
South African debt will rise by R37.8 billion if wage deal proceeds
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/gove...e-by-r37-8-billion-if-wage-deal-proceeds.html

Mogajane stressed that while the government is unable to afford raising public servants’ pay, employees aren’t facing pay cuts as some in the private sector have.

“The Covid-19 pandemic has come at a great cost to employment in the private sector, with numerous remaining employees receiving no increments or even experiencing pay cuts to preserve employment,” he said. “The applicants’ members’ jobs are in contrast not threatened. Nor are their salaries reduced.”

We need another "reaction button" ... Whilst I like your post, I dislike what the government are up to :mad:

Municipalities ripping electricity users off: report
The comparison, published in the City Press, shows that a business buying electricity from the City of Johannesburg will end up paying R1.71 per kilowatt hour (kWh), while buying power from neighbouring Ekurhuleni would be far cheaper at R1.43 per kWh.

However, if a business were to buy from Eskom directly, they would only pay R1.16 per kWh.

The cheapest municipality was Nelson Mandela Bay at R1.03 per kWh. City of Cape Town charges R1.39 per kWh (or R1.17 with the investment incentive) and Durban charges R1.26 per kWh.
https://businesstech.co.za/news/tre...icity-users-off-report/?utm_source=newsletter

Well it’s official, thanks to this COVID and lockdown story I’m been forced to move to Bali. Could be worse I guess, could be Nigeria.

With our numbers on a positive basis (for now). How is everyone going along? Everybody back at work yet? Still working from home? Still employed? What has changed in your life since the start of the Lockdown? Just a check in to see how our fellow Forumites are doing.

With our numbers on a positive basis (for now). How is everyone going along? Everybody back at work yet? Still working from home? Still employed? What has changed in your life since the start of the Lockdown? Just a check in to see how our fellow Forumites are doing.

You should start a new thread for this

The most expensive transport of scrap metal in the history of humankind [Eskom misery]
''Apparently, each of the six steam generator forgings required the hiring of a Russian Antonov freighter aircraft (six flights in total) to fly the forgings from France to China. However, according to an impeccable source, after taking a closer look at the forgings, Areva’s Chinese partner decided to scrap them and start again from scratch.''

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/ener...story-of-humankind.html?utm_source=newsletter
For interest's sake - this is an ANTONOV

Last edited:
6zC3tZ6.jpeg

Well it’s official, thanks to this COVID and lockdown story I’m been forced to move to Bali. Could be worse I guess, could be Nigeria.

Good luck on your travels sir.

Hopefully the vape scene there is more tolerated and less illegal now

Ps are we gonna be shipping you stuff from SA or are you gonna be piloting yourself to collect SA VapeMail (this would be insanely epic :D)

My life is more or less the same as it was before lockdown, during lockdown and now. The only difference is that since even before the first lockdown I've stayed clear of malls.

Had an interesting experience in store last week, complained about a guy not wearing his mask and eating (like it's a god damn restaurant), employee says they asked him to put his mask on, he refused, I told her that they needed to eject the guy as the store faces a fine. Guy approaches me and starts berating me for believing the government that lies to me, that he doesn't care about the virus, explain to him that the face mask is to protect everyone else from the diseased RNA floating out of his mouth, continues on his babble about the government lying, tells me to get a bigger mask, I explain to him that being a clever asshole isn't going to get him far, I leave and have filed a complaint against the store and him, as I did with dischem (who actually used CCTV to investigate my claim and they in turn filed a complaint against the customer).

So not much has changed, realised that as in the past the wrong people have died, people feed in to stupidity when scared, like honestly every other day I get told about how the government is feeding us mind altering drugs (which technically they are if you know about the teflon poisoning of pretty much most of the world) but now the government is making up the virus, it's honestly more believable that some asshole accidentally released this thing but people get told that it's fake. This idea that a mask is some how stealing your humanity, people are honestly so weird, literally no one gave a shit about your face pre-SARS-2, there are almost 8 billion people, you literally mean nothing to anyone but your friends and family. Reading up about the brain damage SARS-COV-2 seems to inflict, I do believe more people have been exposed than we know.

I'm more misanthropic, I fear that we'll probably wipe ourselves out with our incessant greed and self importance before we transverse the stars, but I've also learnt to enjoy life a lot more, I worry less about growing old, I treat myself a bit more, and savor more moments that would otherwise maybe seem to be arbitrary. I've shaved off 10 beats from my resting heart rate and get 8 hrs of sleep every night.

With mounting evidence that we will need several boosters a year and something like 70% of the population taking the vaccine, I also worry if our own stupidity will allow this thing to continue to dominate our lives, and I wonder what we'll do once the nightmare flu recombination goes pandemic, something way more lethal, something that cuts off the production lines and the food stores.

On a brighter note, I've learnt a lot more skills such as sewing, and poured more in to developing my existing skills.

I've got the Formula

Just a reminder of the old Lockdown days

View attachment 209833
There's a blast from the past ... If my memory serves me correctly, Baumann used to make 'em back in ye day. Baumann became Bakers, who were taken over by National Brands, who moved the Durban factory to Pinetown in the early 90's, and as part of their purchase / cost cutting exercise, gave us the "Chernobyl Animals" that we have today ... blobs that vaguely resemble animals, providing you have a good imagination :rofl:

What to expect from Wednesday’s major strike action in South Africa
https://businesstech.co.za/news/bus...dnesdays-major-strike-action-in-south-africa/

The Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) will embark on mass strike action on Wednesday (7 October) as part of an ongoing dispute with the government.
However, unlike more traditional strikes seen in the country, Cosatu has asked its members to stay at home in support of the action due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

There isn’t really a place for this, but this thread is as good as any in this awful year.

Eddie Van Halen died today. And that’s another piece of my youth gone.

upload_2020-10-6_22-38-54.jpeg

Back