Lockdown diaries - COVID-19 matters!

What are you going to be doing during the lockdown?

• At home. I’m non essential

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Working. The virus doesn’t scare me

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • On standby

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Working from home. Too essential to take any risk!

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A long December and there's rwason to
...Rumours about hard lockdown -level 5 ...

I highly doubt we will be going to a higher level lockdown. They might call in the military to help enforce the current restrictions and assist with the hospitals.

Moving to a higher level will contradict everything they said about hard lockdowns in the last couple of months.

But as we learned last year, anything can happen at a moments notice.

Government shoots down ‘level 5 lockdown’ rumours
https://businesstech.co.za/news/trending/458788/government-shoots-down-level-5-lockdown-rumours/
4 Jan. 2021

"Government officials have indicated that South Africa is unlikely to introduce stricter lockdown restrictions this week. [my highlights]

The clarity comes after messages spread on popular social media platforms WhatsApp and Facebook, which stated that that the National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC) was meeting on Monday, and was looking to introduce a seven-day level 5 lockdown to help the country cope with the second coronavirus wave...

However, government spokesperson Phumla Williams said that the messages circulating on social media about a return to a harder lockdown for South Africa were untrue.

She further confirmed that there is no planned NCCC meeting this week. [my highlights]

Williams told News24 that there would be no adjustment made to the lockdown on Monday as the correct processes had not been followed.

She added that unless there was a dramatic change in South Africa’s Covid-19 situation, the president was unlikely to address the nation on further lockdown measures at all this week..." [my highlights]

Last edited:
Doctor appeals to public to support exhausted healthcare workers
https://www.capetownetc.com/news/co...ublic-to-support-exhausted-healthcare-workers
3 Jan. 2021

"During the COVID-19 pandemic, many hospitals are at full capacity and healthcare workers are stretched thin. Hospital staff are often burnt out from working several hours beyond their allocated time due to the pressure on facilities. Besides physical exhaustion, they can also suffer from mental and emotional exhaustion.

Now, Dr Amelia Brink, a paediatrician at Mediclinic Vergelegen has decided to spearhead an appeal to the public to assist medical workers in any way possible that will make their burdens a little lighter.

“We are reaching out for help. The hospital I work at is at tipping point. The crisis is taking its toll. I cannot go into too much detail, but the staff are not coping anymore,” Brink said.

Mediclinic Vergelegen and Busamed Paardevlei, both located near Somerset West need volunteers for the following:

– A group of up to five people to commit to one healthcare worker for a month or two. They will support this worker in whatever way they need help, including meals or basic groceries.

The group of volunteers is also asked to help with family meals (so that those who provide for families don’t have to cook at home). Such a meal package may include something extra like a personal note, card, prayer, encouraging religious verse, snacks or small gifts to brighten their days at work.

– Counsellors who will be willing to come into tearooms (PPE will be supplied) and do counselling with staff over lunchtime.

– Volunteers for porters, answering phones, and doing other admin work that will lighten their loads.

Anyone interested may contact Brink at 072 226 9689."

Western Cape police hand out nearly 3000 fines during first weekend of 2021
https://www.capetownetc.com/news/we...early-3000-fines-during-first-weekend-of-2021
4 Jan. 2021

"... A total of 2915 fines were issued for the contravention of the Disaster Management Act regulations,” said South African Police Service spokesperson, Brigadier Novela Potelwa in a statement.

Most of the fines were handed to individuals who flouted the curfew and were caught outside their residence between the hours of 9pm and 6am.

A total of 11 000 litres of alcohol was seized during police operations over the weekend. A reported 29 illegal shebeens were shutdown and 32 people were arrested for the sale, dispensing and distribution of alcohol.

“Police officials were also deployed on beaches along the Garden Route, Overberg, West Coast and Cape Town to ensure adherence to level 3 restrictions. While most beaches were deserted, there were a few transgressors who were dealt with,” said Potelwa.

During compliance inspections, 15 people were removed from three beaches – Pringle Bay, Onrus and Castle Beach – in the Overberg on Friday, January 1. The transgressors were issued fines to the value of R15 000..." [my highlights]

R15,000 fine for being on the beach! Oh. My. Vape. Yet I still see a few people strolling on the beach here.

R15,000 fine for being on the beach! Oh. My. Vape. Yet I still see a few people strolling on the beach here.

My fb newsfeed is full of families taking photos on the beach. Not sure how they are enforcing these rules.

We have gone into full National Lockdown until mid February at the earliest so in reality that will mean Easter!

I'm still so excited that we're managing to be shit once again and have almost no plan to bring in vaccines in line with what other countries are doing, and all private care buying has been blocked.

We have gone into full National Lockdown until mid February at the earliest so in reality that will mean Easter!

I was reading that things are going rough there. We should start seeing a surge here in the next 2 weeks. Today I had to go to the gp and you can see its not business as usual. They are running like crazy just to get to everybody.

At least you can have some wine. I'm down to 2 beers and and quarter bottle of gin. And it doesn't look like they will open the bottle stores soon.

I was reading that things are going rough there. We should start seeing a surge here in the next 2 weeks. Today I had to go to the gp and you can see its not business as usual. They are running like crazy just to get to everybody.

At least you can have some wine. I'm down to 2 beers and and quarter bottle of gin. And it doesn't look like they will open the bottle stores soon.
Looking at positive cases and daily deaths now and taking into account the benefit of the lockdown will not even take effect for a couple of weeks at least then add to that the new variant spreads much easier it's going to be twice as bad as the first wave, this lockdown came at least a month too late!!! But yes at least i can drink myself to death as an alternative lol! :borra2::beer-toast1::drink::drink9::godsdrink0nw:

My fb newsfeed is full of families taking photos on the beach. Not sure how they are enforcing these rules.

I've been told that you can't be fined just for being on the beach - only if you refuse to leave when instructed to do so. I don't know how true that is and I'm sure not going to find out!

Our Spar

Spar Rules.png

I went there yesterday and they have a system for counting how many people are in the shop, which they didn't have during the first lockdown. At the entrance you are given a yellow "peg". When you leave, you return it to someone at the exit.

Back