Lockdown diaries - COVID-19 matters!

What are you going to be doing during the lockdown?

• At home. I’m non essential

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Working. The virus doesn’t scare me

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • On standby

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Working from home. Too essential to take any risk!

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To maximise your chances with the walk-in approach, it’s better to go 1 hour before closure… if they have clients who didn’t show up for their appointments, they’ll be more than happy to give you the injection to minimise the number of wasted doses.

Thanks I may try that too. Just amazing how many people I keep hearing are getting walk-ins not before closing time but in the middle of the day. Disocvery is also useless, not sure why they wanted me to sign up with their system, literally no follow ups, no help when phoning them telling them I haven't got an appointment yet, why the hell did they ask me where I would like to go when I first signed up with them, I tell them im now registered, but can't help me with an appointment. The whole process is so janky.

Thanks I may try that too. Just amazing how many people I keep hearing are getting walk-ins not before closing time but in the middle of the day. Disocvery is also useless, not sure why they wanted me to sign up with their system, literally no follow ups, no help when phoning them telling them I haven't got an appointment yet, why the hell did they ask me where I would like to go when I first signed up with them, I tell them im now registered, but can't help me with an appointment. The whole process is so janky.
That’s what happens when you try to run too many systems in parallel with obvious poor coordination and no communication. In my opinion the private sector should stay out of this one as they have literally no control (not that the government has either). We all depend on a chaotic supply system for the vaccines.

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/south-africa-life-expectancy-drops-due-to-covid-19-2021-7

• Almost 700,000 South Africans have died over the past year, according to Stats SA’s 2021 mid-year population estimates which were published on Monday.
  • This is similar to the deaths recorded at the height of the country’s HIV pandemic in 2006.
  • The Covid-19 pandemic had dropped South Africa’s life expectancy by 3.5 years, with males declining to below 60-years-old at rates last recorded in 2014.
5a6944de7cd54227aa9e500060b0a732.jpg da7d3b2b4f344a43aba8759b2cec2635.jpg

Sad day..this was an entertainment icon.
4a20df903d155db2936201d12b06761c.jpg
58ca83fc514b2370d86da789dcfe88cf.jpg

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

Sad day..this was an entertainment icon.
4a20df903d155db2936201d12b06761c.jpg
58ca83fc514b2370d86da789dcfe88cf.jpg

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

This is so sad. The memories I have from there. Rammstein was mindblowing. Then saw Live twice there. In fact my first live concert was Live back in 2000 I think. And REM. The sound was just awesome in the middle.

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/lots-of-questions-from-parents-heres

Lots of questions from parents: Here’s some insight

“How is Delta affecting kids?”

Delta is 200% more transmissible, so more kids will get it (just like more unvaccinated adults will get it). Delta also has a 1000% higher viral load, which means kids will test positive more quickly following exposure. This also means people are shedding a ton more virus, so if your kid comes in contact with a positive COVID19 case, the probability of getting infected increases. If your kid becomes positive, they have more opportunity to infect others too.

The primary mode of transmission is still direct contact and inhaled particles. Higher transmissibility does not mean Delta is transferred in more aerosol form than before.

We do not know if Delta is more severe for kids (or adults) than previous variants. A higher viral load does not necessarily mean increased severity. A recent Lancet study found the hospitalization rate of adults was 85% higher than other variants, but other studies show severity is no different. The consensus among scientists: Jury is still out.

“How many pediatric cases are there and is the rate increasing?”

Last week, 23,551 pediatric COVID-19 cases were reported and kids represented 15.9% of all cases in the United States. This percentage will continue to increase as more and more adolescents and adults get vaccinated.

In 23 states, 2.3% of COVID19 hospitalizations are children (children hospitalized / everyone hospitalized) and the hospitalization rate among kids (hospitalized / infected) remains to be 0.9%.

In the past 14 days, there’s been a 94.6% increase in pediatric cases. Raw pediatric cases (first graph) continues to follow national trends, which means they do not seem disproportionally impacted by Delta compared to adults. But, both pediatric and adult cases continue to rise, which is concerning in and of itself.

Bottom Line: We’re still learning a lot about Delta and driving the ship as it’s built. There are a lot of unknowns, as we can only get evidence-based, data driven answers so fast. Please be patient with the process. Rigorous science is worth it in the end, I promise. In the meantime, stick to what we know…masks work and a layered protection level works even better for our kids and our communities. Remain vigilant.

kid activities.jpeg

@Silver

Last edited:
https://www.capetownmagazine.com/co...51o1Tc28ZKI2A4e1Jbv9f8oviWs8TT6NvYGEbKgUeCyUc

COVID RATES SHOWS DECREASE, SAYS WINDE
Covid-19 case numbers in the Western Cape are still increasing, but at a slower rate than the previous week, says Western Cape Premier Alan Winde. This week we recorded a 13,5% increase in infection rates than the earlier weeks’ 29% increase. We aren’t out of the woods yet, but we are prepared for the third-wave peak, Western Cape Premier, Alan Winde said on 15 July.

VISIT A DRIVE-THROUGH VACCINATION SITE
By early August you can register at Cape Town’s first mass drive-through and walk-through vaccination site at Athlone Stadium. The City of Cape Town aims for the walk-through service to be operational by early August and the drive-through section to open two weeks later.

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/lots-of-questions-from-parents-heres

Lots of questions from parents: Here’s some insight

“How is Delta affecting kids?”

Delta is 200% more transmissible, so more kids will get it (just like more unvaccinated adults will get it). Delta also has a 1000% higher viral load, which means kids will test positive more quickly following exposure. This also means people are shedding a ton more virus, so if your kid comes in contact with a positive COVID19 case, the probability of getting infected increases. If your kid becomes positive, they have more opportunity to infect others too.

The primary mode of transmission is still direct contact and inhaled particles. Higher transmissibility does not mean Delta is transferred in more aerosol form than before.

We do not know if Delta is more severe for kids (or adults) than previous variants. A higher viral load does not necessarily mean increased severity. A recent Lancet study found the hospitalization rate of adults was 85% higher than other variants, but other studies show severity is no different. The consensus among scientists: Jury is still out.

“How many pediatric cases are there and is the rate increasing?”

Last week, 23,551 pediatric COVID-19 cases were reported and kids represented 15.9% of all cases in the United States. This percentage will continue to increase as more and more adolescents and adults get vaccinated.

In 23 states, 2.3% of COVID19 hospitalizations are children (children hospitalized / everyone hospitalized) and the hospitalization rate among kids (hospitalized / infected) remains to be 0.9%.

In the past 14 days, there’s been a 94.6% increase in pediatric cases. Raw pediatric cases (first graph) continues to follow national trends, which means they do not seem disproportionally impacted by Delta compared to adults. But, both pediatric and adult cases continue to rise, which is concerning in and of itself.

Bottom Line: We’re still learning a lot about Delta and driving the ship as it’s built. There are a lot of unknowns, as we can only get evidence-based, data driven answers so fast. Please be patient with the process. Rigorous science is worth it in the end, I promise. In the meantime, stick to what we know…masks work and a layered protection level works even better for our kids and our communities. Remain vigilant.

View attachment 235187

@Silver

thanks very much @Adephi
This is helpful
Alarming how Delta is affecting the kids

seems the vaccine is the main way to get ones life back to semi normal

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...-as-people-taking-ivermectin-continue-to-die/

https://dremtaban.com/ivermectin/

'They think they are safe': Doc issues chilling warning as people taking ivermectin continue to die

A leading pulmonologist has issued a stark warning that all the patients now admitted to his clinic thought ivermectin would protect them from contracting Covid-19.

In a chilling Facebook post, Dr Emmanuel Taban, a pulmonologist at Mediclinic Midstream in Midrand, wrote that two out of every three patients now being admitted to the hospital were taking ivermectin which, he added, offered “no benefit at all”.

While 80% of the patients admitted to the clinic during the first wave were black, of the 102 patients now admitted, 92 are white as a third wave of infections continues to roil across SA.

“Most of these patients have been taking ivermectin which was prescribed by doctors and as a result they feel protected,” he said.

He warned that people using the drug — which is an anti-parasitic medication meant for animals — believed they were safe from contracting Covid-19 which in turn led to unsafe behaviour such as not wearing masks or sanitising their hands.

Some 90% of the patients using the drug, had presented with liver damage, he added.

“I have lost five patients to liver failure from ivermectin and all patients now admitted here have all been on [the drug],” he said.

Taban was critical of doctors who continued to give ivermectin to their patients.

“Clearly this drug does not work and is not intended for use by humans. I strongly encourage you to stop prescribing it and advise against [its] use.”

A debate over whether ivermectin works continues to rage, with some healthcare professionals calling for its use while others say there is no evidence that it works to prevent or cure Covid-19.

In January, the SA Health Products Regulatory Authority (Sahpra) issued a directive that there was not enough data available on the drug for it to be used in managing Covid-19 infections.

“In terms of safety and efficacy there is no evidence that supports the use of ivermectin we do not have any clinical trial evidence to justify its use,” the authority said.

While Sahpra implemented a “compassionate use” programme which allowed doctors to request permission to prescribe the drug to individual patients under the terms of the Medicines and Related Substances Act, it remained steadfast in its position that there was no evidence that ivermectin prevented Covid-19 or healed infected patients.

Meanwhile, a major study investigating the drug’s efficacy in treating Covid-19 was withdrawn last week after a medical student in UK discovered serious flaws in the paper.

The study, led by Dr Ahmed Elgazzar from Benha University in Egypt and which was published on the Research Square website in November, claimed to be a randomised control trial, The Guardian reported. Its findings claimed that patients treated early with ivermectin “reported substantial recovery” and that mortality from Covid-19 in groups of patients receiving ivermectin dropped by 90%.

The study was withdrawn, however, after a British masters student discovered that the study’s introduction appeared to have been plagiarised from websites and press releases about the drug and Covid-19, The Guardian reported.

There were also issues with the raw data which contradicted the study protocol in a few instances.

Taban urged South Africans not to be misled by social media regarding cures for Covid-19.

“My heart breaks at the suffering of these people because they are being misled by social media,” said the Sudanese-born doctor who is famous for trekking from war-torn Sudan to Johannesburg and putting himself through medical school.

“There is no prophylactic medication available for Covid-19 except vaccination.”

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...-as-people-taking-ivermectin-continue-to-die/

https://dremtaban.com/ivermectin/

'They think they are safe': Doc issues chilling warning as people taking ivermectin continue to die

A leading pulmonologist has issued a stark warning that all the patients now admitted to his clinic thought ivermectin would protect them from contracting Covid-19.

In a chilling Facebook post, Dr Emmanuel Taban, a pulmonologist at Mediclinic Midstream in Midrand, wrote that two out of every three patients now being admitted to the hospital were taking ivermectin which, he added, offered “no benefit at all”.

While 80% of the patients admitted to the clinic during the first wave were black, of the 102 patients now admitted, 92 are white as a third wave of infections continues to roil across SA.

“Most of these patients have been taking ivermectin which was prescribed by doctors and as a result they feel protected,” he said.

He warned that people using the drug — which is an anti-parasitic medication meant for animals — believed they were safe from contracting Covid-19 which in turn led to unsafe behaviour such as not wearing masks or sanitising their hands.

Some 90% of the patients using the drug, had presented with liver damage, he added.

“I have lost five patients to liver failure from ivermectin and all patients now admitted here have all been on [the drug],” he said.

Taban was critical of doctors who continued to give ivermectin to their patients.

“Clearly this drug does not work and is not intended for use by humans. I strongly encourage you to stop prescribing it and advise against [its] use.”

A debate over whether ivermectin works continues to rage, with some healthcare professionals calling for its use while others say there is no evidence that it works to prevent or cure Covid-19.

In January, the SA Health Products Regulatory Authority (Sahpra) issued a directive that there was not enough data available on the drug for it to be used in managing Covid-19 infections.

“In terms of safety and efficacy there is no evidence that supports the use of ivermectin we do not have any clinical trial evidence to justify its use,” the authority said.

While Sahpra implemented a “compassionate use” programme which allowed doctors to request permission to prescribe the drug to individual patients under the terms of the Medicines and Related Substances Act, it remained steadfast in its position that there was no evidence that ivermectin prevented Covid-19 or healed infected patients.

Meanwhile, a major study investigating the drug’s efficacy in treating Covid-19 was withdrawn last week after a medical student in UK discovered serious flaws in the paper.

The study, led by Dr Ahmed Elgazzar from Benha University in Egypt and which was published on the Research Square website in November, claimed to be a randomised control trial, The Guardian reported. Its findings claimed that patients treated early with ivermectin “reported substantial recovery” and that mortality from Covid-19 in groups of patients receiving ivermectin dropped by 90%.

The study was withdrawn, however, after a British masters student discovered that the study’s introduction appeared to have been plagiarised from websites and press releases about the drug and Covid-19, The Guardian reported.

There were also issues with the raw data which contradicted the study protocol in a few instances.

Taban urged South Africans not to be misled by social media regarding cures for Covid-19.

“My heart breaks at the suffering of these people because they are being misled by social media,” said the Sudanese-born doctor who is famous for trekking from war-torn Sudan to Johannesburg and putting himself through medical school.

“There is no prophylactic medication available for Covid-19 except vaccination.”

There is NOTHING that can prevent one from getting COVID. The problem, as I've said before, is that some people think that they can prevent it and so probably didn't take the usual precautions. Which is worse? This kind of thinking, or a refusal to be vaccinated?

And here's some more dangerous BS.

It can beat SARS-CoV-2 with pink face masks, this Johannesburg company says
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/c...re-of-covid-19-protection-copper-fresh-2021-7
20 July 2021

"A Johannesburg-based company called Copper Fresh says it has come up with an innovative solution to curb the spread of the SARS-Cov-2 virus by encouraging people to wear pink face masks.

Founded by a trio of entrepreneurs - David Ash, Dean Lazarus, and Roy Miller – the company says it is making one of Africa’s first masks capable of self-sanitising and killing the SARS-Cov-2 virus just a few minutes after it touches your mask.

“We’ve got the world’s best mask, but nobody knows about it,” said Lazarus.

“One of the problems with masks is that it doesn’t prevent you from touching your face often. This means every time you touch your face you are spreading new virus onto your mask and contaminating it,” said Miller.

“[Our] mask kills viruses and bacteria. Whereas your traditional blue mask doesn’t. So, if you take your mask off and then put it back on again you are still carrying the virus with you.”

The secret behind the masks is the same reason they sport a pink tie-dye look: copper.

Copper has been proven to be an effective killer of diseases like MRSA, E. coli, Influenza A, as well as the norovirus. The University of Cambridge found copper, and alloys that contain 58% copper, to be effective in killing microbes in hospital ward furnishings and equipment.

It has also been proven to be effective against SARS-Cov-2.

How does copper kill viruses?
When bacteria and viruses meet copper, the metal attracts electrons from the microbes, producing unstable molecules, which then kill the pathogen – an effect so strong it behaves like an exploding grenade.

Source Washington Post

“We saw the pandemic was going to be longer than a 3-week story. We also saw there was a global shortage of N95 masks. Then we saw a sudden flood of KN95 masks, which aren't as good as the N95 and has a short lifespan which would mean billions of masks going to landfill,” said Ash.

“What we realised was in the medical field there is little to no new technology. The stuff we are using today, is the same stuff we have been using for the past 90 years. Nothing has changed. We started making phone calls to people that are looking at coming up with tomorrow’s technology, making it today. Most of our phone calls were late into the night talking to mask making factories and experts. One thing kept popping up…copper," said Ash.

They found what they were looking for in Israel. There, a company called MedCu Technologies was making fabric infused with copper oxide for paramedics to dress wounds at accident scenes.

"It gives us great pleasure and pride to take part in protecting the South African people, especially given the vaccination challenge, with the world's first and only active mask with impregnated copper-oxide fabric" said Dr Gadi Borkow, MedCu CTO.

The fabric is made by impregnating cloth with copper oxide, a process which blows copper oxide into the fabric at a microscopic level on a conveyor belt system. Fabric is then shipped to Johannesburg, where Copper Fresh makes the masks.

"We put an N95 filter between two sheets of the copper material. So, you’ve effectively got three layers of protection. At current production rate we can make between 40,000 and 50,000 units per day," said Miller.
Copper Fresh says the masks are capable of self-sanitising, which means you can re-wear them dozens of times rather than having to wash, or worse, throw them away, after a single use.

Depending on production demand, Copper Fresh wants to sell the masks for R25 per unit.

“You can reuse our mask as long as the integrity of the mask is there. You can use it over and over again. Which when you put it alongside an N95 or a three ply – the price itself ends up being a lot cheaper,” said Lazarus.

"As compared to some three-ply masks that you need to throw away everyday or hour a so. On average we are getting a month and a half to two months on our masks it works out to be less than a rand per mask per usage.”

Having just gained South African Health Products Regulatory Authority (Sahpra) approval for manufacture, the company expects to ramp up production within the next few months.

*The MedCu fabric is TUV,CE and FDA approved."

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/c...re-of-covid-19-protection-copper-fresh-2021-7
20 July 2021

"A Johannesburg-based company called Copper Fresh says it has come up with an innovative solution to curb the spread of the SARS-Cov-2 virus by encouraging people to wear pink face masks.

Founded by a trio of entrepreneurs - David Ash, Dean Lazarus, and Roy Miller – the company says it is making one of Africa’s first masks capable of self-sanitising and killing the SARS-Cov-2 virus just a few minutes after it touches your mask.

“One of the problems with masks is that it doesn’t prevent you from touching your face often. This means every time you touch your face you are spreading new virus onto your mask and contaminating it,” said Miller.

“[Our] mask kills viruses and bacteria. Whereas your traditional blue mask doesn’t. So, if you take your mask off and then put it back on again you are still carrying the virus with you.”

The secret behind the masks is the same reason they sport a pink tie-dye look: copper.

Copper has been proven to be an effective killer of diseases like MRSA, E. coli, Influenza A, as well as the norovirus. The University of Cambridge found copper, and alloys that contain 58% copper, to be effective in killing microbes in hospital ward furnishings and equipment.

When bacteria and viruses meet copper, the metal attracts electrons from the microbes, producing unstable molecules, which then kill the pathogen – an effect so strong it behaves like an exploding grenade.

Source Washington Post

“We saw the pandemic was going to be longer than a 3-week story. We also saw there was a global shortage of N95 masks. Then we saw a sudden flood of KN95 masks, which aren't as good as the N95 and has a short lifespan which would mean billions of masks going to landfill,” said Ash.

“What we realised was in the medical field there is little to no new technology. The stuff we are using today, is the same stuff we have been using for the past 90 years. Nothing has changed. We started making phone calls to people that are looking at coming up with tomorrow’s technology, making it today. Most of our phone calls were late into the night talking to mask making factories and experts. One thing kept popping up…copper," said Ash.

They found what they were looking for in Israel. There, a company called MedCu Technologies was making fabric infused with copper oxide for paramedics to dress wounds at accident scenes.

"It gives us great pleasure and pride to take part in protecting the South African people, especially given the vaccination challenge, with the world's first and only active mask with impregnated copper-oxide fabric" said Dr Gadi Borkow, MedCu CTO.

The fabric is made by impregnating cloth with copper oxide, a process which blows copper oxide into the fabric at a microscopic level on a conveyor belt system. Fabric is then shipped to Johannesburg, where Copper Fresh makes the masks.

"We put an N95 filter between two sheets of the copper material. So, you’ve effectively got three layers of protection. At current production rate we can make between 40,000 and 50,000 units per day," said Miller.
Copper Fresh says the masks are capable of self-sanitising, which means you can re-wear them dozens of times rather than having to wash, or worse, throw them away, after a single use.

Depending on production demand, Copper Fresh wants to sell the masks for R25 per unit.

“You can reuse our mask as long as the integrity of the mask is there. You can use it over and over again. Which when you put it alongside an N95 or a three ply – the price itself ends up being a lot cheaper,” said Lazarus.

"As compared to some three-ply masks that you need to throw away everyday or hour a so. On average we are getting a month and a half to two months on our masks it works out to be less than a rand per mask per usage.”

Having just gained South African Health Products Regulatory Authority (Sahpra) approval for manufacture, the company expects to ramp up production within the next few months.

My best mask is a cammo pattern so the virus can't find me.

So far, so good.

20 July 2021

Source Washington Post

Suppose It's better than these strange face shields that makes poeple look wierd. It is 3 ply and all that. Just not sure how healthy it is if you breath in copper fibre.

They don't mention if it's washable. If it's not, how many times can you really wear it? I'm sure we all tried one mask for more than a few days by now. Unless you think your morning breath smells like potpourri, It's nasty.

This is so sad. The memories I have from there. Rammstein was mindblowing. Then saw Live twice there. In fact my first live concert was Live back in 2000 I think. And REM. The sound was just awesome in the middle.
I left the Rammstein concert shirtless… some girl wanted my Cuervo shirt and simply tore it off me.

Suppose It's better than these strange face shields that makes poeple look wierd. It is 3 ply and all that. Just not sure how healthy it is if you breath in copper fibre.

They don't mention if it's washable. If it's not, how many times can you really wear it? I'm sure we all tried one mask for more than a few days by now. Unless you think your morning breath smells like potpourri, It's nasty.

Never mind that they have no real seal to talk of, so once again it would only really work at keeping germs in not out, and well normal masks would do the same if people wore the damn things.

Had that happen to me too. The shirt ended up as prosecution exhibit one, fortunately I had a really good layer.

Regards

Great gig, awful acoustics though. There would have been giant screens if only bloody U2 weren’t playing elsewhere the same night…

Back