Lockdown diaries - COVID-19 matters!

What are you going to be doing during the lockdown?

• At home. I’m non essential

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Working. The virus doesn’t scare me

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • On standby

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Working from home. Too essential to take any risk!

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Day 42, 5am
I’m taking my car for service today. Was spending most of my days this week visiting private facilities and old age homes to raise awareness, assess readiness and give some practical advice to curb the epidemic. I was pleased at times, but also shocked in other instances by the lack of good will of some institutions to cooperate. Money is at stake I guess. I remember now why I never really enjoyed the private sector... a private hospital is asking their employees to buy their own PPE. They were also the most arrogant and defensive when questioned about their procedures. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them forced to close “shop” in the near future. Stay safe fellow vapers...

Over 30,000 now died in the UK second to only the US but when considering populations it's grim. Still between 600 and 800 dying a day and the rumours are lockdown will start being eased from Monday. We were too late going into lockdown and looks like we will be easing lockdown far too early. Double whammy that can only lead to disaster!

DAY 41 - 05:58
Good morning Vapers , seems like I lost a day somewhere , @Grand Guru is at 42 already , well who can blame me ? Bed late , up early , nothing new . What fazes me the most is the total disregard from people for the rules , saw again groups forming on corners , mother and ducklings going to the corner shop , one in the tummy ,one on the tit and two in tow , maybe the baby sitter weren't paid , who knows ? Let's see what the day delivers...

Newly discovered Comet Swan is currently gliding across South African skies…
Local astronomer, Heine Wieben Rasmussen, has captured a series of spectacular images of Comet Swan from the remote mountains of the Cederberg in South Africa, where he owns Bliss & Stars, a mindfulness and astronomy retreat, with his wife Daria.
Rasmussen said the reason he was able to obtain the photographs was the darkness of the sky: “I am very fortunate to live in the Cederberg in a dark sky area, where there is very little light pollution. Increasing urbanisation has kept skies in the towns and cities artificially light, so few people have experienced the magic of the Milky Way crossing a star-studded sky.”
This is the supplied image ...[www.all4women.co.za]
SWAN-comet-credit-Heine-Rasmussen-C-2020-F8-750x458.jpeg

Twinkle, twinkle little star ....

Last edited:
Caxton recently announced it was withdrawing from magazine publishing and associated businesses in South Africa.

This decision, Caxton said, was needed because of the steady decline in advertising spend in the magazine media sector.

There has also been a continued decline in circulation revenues, which has reduced the viability of the magazine business in recent years.

Caxton is consulting with its employees and is looking to engage with other parties and publishers who would be interested in taking over any of its titles.

Caxton Magazines publishes 12 prominent magazines – Bona, Country Life, Essentials, Food & Home, Garden & Home, People, Rooi Rose, Vrouekeur, Woman & Home, and Your Family.

This news follows an announcement by Associated Media Publishing (AMP) that it shut its doors on 1 May.

AMP published Cosmopolitan, House & Leisure, Good Housekeeping, and Women on Wheels.

AMP CEO Julia Raphaely said they made every effort to continue operating, but the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic killed the company.

The major factors which negatively impacted the company were:

• The closure of printing and distribution channels.
  • The global halt in advertising spend.
  • The inability to host events in the foreseeable future.
Raphaely said these challenges made it impossible to continue trading, even after investing large amounts of personal money into the business.

Hou vas jou matras !
MY BROADBAND:
South Africans can expect to be hit hard by load-shedding before the end of June 2020, according to energy expert Ted Blom.

Blom told MyBroadband that as demand increases due to heavy industry, such as mining and smelting coming back online, Eskom could face problems from as soon as next week.

By the end of June, increased demand due to the winter season paired with a lack of new maintenance and problems associated with reactivating disabled power units will result in heavy load-shedding, Blom said.

“The moment that the full demand comes onto the system, you will see fireworks second to none,” Blom said. “I’m expecting transformers to blow up and boilers to malfunction.”

“I would not be surprised if we see the worst load-shedding we have ever seen by the end of June.”
AND Eskom's side of the story ...

CAPE TOWN - Eskom CEO André de Ruyter on Wednesday said the chances of load shedding during winter had been significantly reduced.

De Ruyter told Parliament much would depend on whether the lockdown was lifted gradually or with a “big bang” approach.

But he said short-term maintenance and the procurement of additional capacity meant the 31 days of load shedding Eskom expected for the next quarter was now reduced to three.

De Ruyter was briefing Parliament’s public enterprises committees during a virtual meeting on Wednesday night.

The lockdown has seen a dramatic drop in demand for electricity. De Ruyter said that meant the power utility would lose about R2.5 billion in cash generated for April, with the full financial impact of lockdown yet to be assessed.

Excitement mounts! After having a parcel sit at DHL in Durbs with what feels like forever it's being delivered!

upload_2020-5-7_10-26-32.png

I have just been declared essential item!
Don't worry, the fun will find you too!

CRY MY BELOVED COUNTRY...
SAB may be forced to destroy 400 million bottles of beer.
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/sab-says-beer-may-be-destroyed-2020-5

''If SAB has to destroy the 132 million litres of beer, the company would be forced to operate at about 50% capacity for four months. No bottling or distribution could take place, given that the beer is discarded. “This would mean the loss of about 2,000 jobs – half of SAB’s frontline workforce.”

It would also mean an immediate loss to the government in excise tax of around R500 million.

''Daar is nie pille vir stupidgeit nie'' my late Dad

EWN

CAPE TOWN - Its emerged desperation over cigarettes led to a riot at the St Albans Maximum Security Prison in the Eastern Cape this week.

The Department of Correctional Services said a fight broke out in the facility when a group of inmates demanded cigarettes and wanted to have their cases heard immediately.

Yje

These cartoons never depict the guy who works, but can't afford Corona virus
It's like can I have Corona please, sure it's 5000. But I don't have 5000 now.. it's OK come back later.

Last edited:
If i wasn't essential before go f**k yourself now!!!:monoloco:
I might be back on your side of the fence next week
. 1st lockdown ,not lockdown. Then smoking and vape gear, then only CBD.
Then I'm essential ,let's hope it stays that way.:couch:

Why are the only targeting Muizenberg - yesterday and now this ?

@ARYANTO Maybe illegal activities aren't happening on other beaches? Apparently a protest had been arranged on our beach but the cops got wind of it (we have a few snitches in town, who have snitched to the cops already about people selling cigarettes) and they told the organiser that if she doesn't call it off she will be arrested.

Back