Looking at upgrading and stuck between choices

JackalR

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi fellow vapers,

Been rocking an eleaf istick 20w with nautilus mini with bvc coils and love it. Though I feel I want to blow clouds hence needing to upgrade and ive narrowed it down to two combos.

Its a toss up between the Atlantic tank with the aspire cf sub ohm battery or a lemo with a vapour flask.

The only issue with the altantic is probably the small capacity.

Which of these two would be better suited for clouds. Note that the atlantis combo will be purchased new and the lemo combo 2nd hand.

Ive never built my own coils before but definitely want to get into it

Any advice

Which ever mod you can afford providing it can fire down to 0.5ohms or less. The cloupor 30w mini and IPV mini 30w are good options as well as the iStick 30w, you could also get the Aspire CF Mod or even the SMOK Xpro M50. The Subtank mini is 22mm diameter which is the same as the Atlantis.

Giant flavoured clouds FTW!!!

Will only purchase everything early Feb but will let you guys know how it goes. The shopping list so far:

1 X SMPL mod clone
1 X Dark Horse rda clone
Kanthal 26g wire
1 X sony VTC4 2100mah flat top 30a (I may get a 2nd so there's no down time)
I2 intellicharger
And data so I can YouTube how to do everything

Missing anything lemme know

Will only purchase everything early Feb but will let you guys know how it goes. The shopping list so far:

1 X SMPL mod clone
1 X Dark Horse rda clone
Kanthal 26g wire
I2 intellicharger

You would need some wicking material, rayon works great for me, or you can use organic cotton.

Yeah gonna get cotton from dischem. Didnt add to the list as I dont need to order that

If you are ever in the Pretoria region, I can give you some rayon cellucotton, I have had better success with it. I know there are some that don't like it but I love it.

1 X SMPL mod clone
1 X Dark Horse rda clone
Kanthal 26g wire
I2 intellicharger

Ohm tester should be on your list.

istick 30w would go well with the subtank mini

1 X SMPL mod clone
1 X Dark Horse rda clone
Kanthal 26g wire
I2 intellicharger

Second battery is absolutely essential IMO - and depending on what resistance you build/how much you vape you may even need a 3rd to keep things going :D

You will also need a coil jig (of any kind) or just some drill bits 1.5mm to 3.0mm (depending on the type of coils you intend on building).

And as mentioned by @Dubz, you absolutely need to get an Ohm meter for safety reasons :)

Thanks have a multimeter that I can use for resistance. Perhaps I need to head back to school to revise electricity. I found a post regarding tips and tricks for building coils so will study those vids extensively. The other thing that im clueless on is determining what resistance range would be correct for that setup

Thanks have a multimeter that I can use for resistance. Perhaps I need to head back to school to revise electricity. I found a post regarding tips and tricks for building coils so will study those vids extensively. The other thing that im clueless on is determining what resistance range would be correct for that setup

While a multimeter would work perfect for testing resistance it might fail at detecting shorts which could be caused due to a problem in the 510 connection. So it will still be much safer to get an ohm reader with a 510 connection to ensure there are no shorts and you don't run into problems with batteries going boom :eek:

As to the type of coils to build...go have a look at this ohm's law calculator. Input voltage (of your battery, based on current charge level) and lock it (using the button at the top). Now adjust the wattage and note how the resistance lowers the higher you go...this will help you decide what resistance to use for your desired wattage. It will also show you the amps required so you can keep it within a safe range for your battery.

Then you will need to experiment with different power levels to find a vape that works for you. It seems that at 0.2 to 0.5 Ohm is where the clouds live (don't go too low too quickly though) ;)

for a start id say start around 1 or 1.2 ohms and gradually go lower .

im happy between .7 and .9 ohms with decent clouds.

i would also suggest getting a ceramic tweezer so that you can hold your coil while you pulse it to get rid of hot legs etc .

Multimeter isn't as accurate as a proper ohm meter. less decimal places on most multimeters.

Good luck @JackalR on th SMPL and Dark Horse combo. I imagine that is going to blow some serious clouds when you get the setup right.

Just hope you have another "workhorse" going for your normal daily vaping.

Thanks for all the great advice and tips. Daily workhorse is a istick20w with nam for mindless vaping

Hi peeps, the order has been placed

Getting the following

Smpl clone
Dark horse rda clone
Kanthal 28g
Atomizer resistence meter by infinite
Cotton
Cotton from dischem
Sony VTC4 2100mah
I2 intellicharger

What id like to know is does anyone have links for videos on how to build coils for the dark horse. Ive seen 1 or 2 but they dont really go into depth regarding the building. The only videos ive seen are more reviews of the device itself

Any help appreciated

@JackalR unfortunately there are just so many devices out there that finding tutorials for a standard coil on each one can be a bit tricky. What I would advise is to look at a few tutorials for building a standard micro coil and then just watch any tutorials on how to place the coils in the Dark Horse.

Coil building is pretty standard no matter the device you use, the only device specific part is in how those coils are positioned. Also, maybe check out this thread for some ideas/instructions on other RDAs :D

Failing that, just look for Dark Horse users on here (Vape Mail/What's In Your Hand are good threads to see who's rocking what) and send them a PM and I'm sure they can help you out with any specific issues :)

Back