Making a tip

hands

Some profound text goes here
LV

Awards
I have been asked to show how I make tips and decided to show how I go about making a Sterling Silver lined drip tip.

First up is the Silver needs to be melted
IMG_2381.JPG

And made into a ingot/bar
IMG_2375.JPG

Then it goes trough the roll press to thin it down
IMG_2378.JPG

While going trough the rolling mill the metal hardens and needs to softened up again by heating it up
IMG_2380.JPG

Once I have the size i am looking for I coil it up on my mandrel in order to make rings
IMG_2383.JPG

The coil is then cut to give me the rings
IMG_2382.JPG

The rings are then soldered
IMG_2384.JPG

I will upload more when i do the next step:)

Now to make the brown and white lines. From left to right, cut, glued, drilled, cut and sanded.
IMG_2387.JPG

The black blank is turned round
IMG_2388.JPG

Drilled and cut into slices
IMG_2390.JPG

Now we have all the parts
IMG_2396.JPG

The stainless gets a 6mm hole
IMG_2391.JPG

and turned down to 8.5mm
IMG_2394.JPG

turned down the front end and cut the o-ring slots
IMG_2395.JPG

as you can see here I use a cut off piece as a spacer underneath the silver ring to stop it from making contact with the stainless and help keep the tip cool.
IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

I decided to only use 3 of the brown&white strips in this one just to mix it up a bit.
IMG_2400.JPG

turned it down to the size i wanted
IMG_2401.JPG

now for some wet sanding
IMG_2402.JPG

and there we are a nice tip to go with my OL16 that @kimbo was kind enough to donate
IMG_2405.JPG

Oh my gosh @hands
So much work goes into one tip
Thanks for sharing this
I will look at my tips differently now

You are amazing!

Awesome @hands , approximately how long does it take to make one tip?

I now "know" how to make a tip.

I will now put that knowledge to use and make the decision that tip manufacturing should be left to the pro's like @hands

Thanks for the insight into the process

Absolutely top notch! Thanks for sharing @hands .

I own five (I think) of your tips now, and even though I'm stingy and have a minor heart attack when I click "Buy", I know I won't be disappointed with the product. Looking at the time and effort that goes into each of your creations, I will actually feel a lot more comfortable clicking that button!

Thank you for your amazing prodcuts!!!

I have been looking at these tips for a while and been considering getting one. Now that I see the amount of craftsmanship that goes into one I will definitely be adding one to my basket next time.

Amazing work @hands

All I can say is WOW!

As a "hobbyist" I looked at the photos and I can understand and see the care and attention to detail that goes into each tip. You cant put a monetary price on that.

Truly amazing. Good job and keep it up. Once my budget allows I will definitely get one, or two or one for each atty I own at the time.

True craftsmanship!

Truly beautiful, how do these stand up to being dropped? I have dropped more drip tips than Charlie Sheen has dropped trousers, would cry if it broke.

Truly beautiful, how do these stand up to being dropped? I have dropped more drip tips than Charlie Sheen has dropped trousers, would cry if it broke.
They are not indestructible. Dropping your dual battery metal mod tip first on a tiled floor will break the tip and the tile:-@. I have dropped many tips and have not manage to break one yet.

Got new resin that came in without a brand name and without instructions. I emailed the supplier on Friday and they have not replied and i could not wait and did my best guesstimating and made a batch. will see if it hardens.
IMG_2408.JPG

Black and pearly purple, pearly purple and gold, Black and gold.
IMG_2409.JPG

Got new resin that came in without a brand name and without instructions. I emailed the supplier on Friday and they have not replied and i could not wait and did my best guesstimating and made a batch. will see if it hardens.
View attachment 74416

Black and pearly purple, pearly purple and gold, Black and gold.
View attachment 74417
oooooh, custom colour mixes :inlove:

To any one out there if this batch is a success i am booking a tip from the bottom box first. Dibs on it.

Back