Meet Hon Lik!

Hon Lik. Not Honk Li....lol

Also, he didn't invent vaping. He just improved on a technology that was invented in 1927 by Joseph Robinson.

"The first who came up with the idea of an e-cigarette is Joseph Robinson in 1927. However, it was in 1963 when Herbert Gilbert and his “smokeless non-tobacco cigarette” made vaping popular. The Chinese firm Hon Lik made the first modern e-cig in the mid-2000s."

https://vapingdaily.com/what-is-vaping/vaping-history/

I think the first time I vaped was actually one of his device. It was back in 2005, I remember because I was in 1st-year college, my friend had ordered that ciga-like from a teleshopping ad. It dint have coils but had a refillable cartridge, the liquid came with the kit.
Then in 2015 I decided I need to quit smoking and I was searcing for this same device when I came across mainstream vaping products and my journey into vaping began.

joseph-robinson-vaping-device.jpg

I think the first time I vaped was actually one of his device. It was back in 2005, I remember because I was in 1st-year college, my friend had ordered that ciga-like from a teleshopping ad. It dint have coils but had a refillable cartridge, the liquid came with the kit.
Then in 2015 I decided I need to quit smoking and I was searcing for this same device when I came across mainstream vaping products and my journey into vaping began.
why the disagree @Gringo ??

Hon Lik. Not Honk Li....lol

Also, he didn't invent vaping. He just improved on a technology that was invented in 1927 by Joseph Robinson.

"The first who came up with the idea of an e-cigarette is Joseph Robinson in 1927. However, it was in 1963 when Herbert Gilbert and his “smokeless non-tobacco cigarette” made vaping popular. The Chinese firm Hon Lik made the first modern e-cig in the mid-2000s."

https://vapingdaily.com/what-is-vaping/vaping-history/
It say's Herbert Gilbert made vaping popular but then contradicts this later on the page:

"However, it’s another name we relate to vaping. It was Herbert A. Gilbert who in 1963, historical data says, came with the idea of vaping. And in 1965 he patented this invention.
Could it have changed history and saved lives? Well, we can’t tell because, unfortunately, nobody knew of his “smokeless non-tobacco cigarette” back then"

I have read a few articles like this and they all give different facts and even names when it comes to the origins!

It say's Herbert Gilbert made vaping popular but then contradicts this later on the page:

"However, it’s another name we relate to vaping. It was Herbert A. Gilbert who in 1963, historical data says, came with the idea of vaping. And in 1965 he patented this invention.
Could it have changed history and saved lives? Well, we can’t tell because, unfortunately, nobody knew of his “smokeless non-tobacco cigarette” back then"

I have read a few articles like this and they all give different facts and even names when it comes to the origins!
I believe like most technological advances it was made over a few decades and in progressive steps and not overnight. Neither the technology was there nor the market was ready to accept vape devices in 30s and smoking had a certain social aura as well... This actually applies to most of the inventions we attribute to one particular person whereas when you dig a little deeper you find out that many people were actually working on the same idea at the same time whether separately or jointly but History always keeps the name of the one who made more noise or found a commercial application to the invention.

Back