Merlin Mini RTA By Augvape Review

Traded my OBS for this one and must say best trade I've done (not a dual coil fan it seems ....)

Flavour is on par with the SM for me , and without the spit-back on refills and the draw on the openest setting is very smooth.

Great little tank this ...... it's a keeper I think.

Traded my OBS for this one and must say best trade I've done (not a dual coil fan it seems ....)

Flavour is on par with the SM for me , and without the spit-back on refills and the draw on the openest setting is very smooth.

Great little tank this ...... it's a keeper I think.
OBS engine?

I love the merlin for the same reason as you. I noticed on the SM25 I get a slight spit back after refill but I would like that was user error on my part. The Merlin is a breeze to coil and wick and flavor is great.

Received 3 Merlin Mini's about 2 weeks ago, and have been vaping them since. Got a Black, a SS and the Limited Edition Gold.

Quality of build and finish is quite surprising considering their low price point. They are very easy to build and wick, do not leak and flavor is great with the right build for the joose in them. I actually like them more than my Serpent Mini 25's. About the only con I'd give them is the joose capacity for a 24mm RTA is far too small.

Even so for my uses for them they get a spyups.jpg.

mermini8s.jpg

Last edited:
Received 3 Merlin Mini's about 2 weeks ago, and have been vaping them since. Got a Black, SS and the Gold Edition

Quality of build and finish is quite surprising considering their low price point. They are very easy to build and wick, do not leak and flavor is great with the right build for the joose in them. I actually like them more than my Serpent Mini 25's. About the only con I'd give them is the joose capacity for a 24mm RTA is far too small.

Even so for my uses for them they get a View attachment 82482.

View attachment 82483
Glad you love them. Mine has been performing great. I agree with you on the capacity. The 2ml capacity is way too less but the top filling is easy. I usually just keep a unicorn bottle with me and fill up on the go.

By the way, What build do you have in yours?

What coils are you guys using for your Merlin Minis?
And what airflow restricter?
Are you using it for MTL or restricted lung hit?

I am going to be starting with mine soon. Got it a while back from Vape Cartel but haven't had a chance to get it going.

I am going to be starting with mine soon. Got it a while back from Vape Cartel but haven't had a chance to get it going.
For MTL I would suggest using 28g. I had a MTL 26g build and it wasn't 'Great'. With 28g you would get much better luck. 26g produced too much heat so you always get Vapor coming out of the airflow after taking a drag.

Glad you love them. Mine has been performing great. I agree with you on the capacity. The 2ml capacity is way too less but the top filling is easy. I usually just keep a unicorn bottle with me and fill up on the go.

By the way, What build do you have in yours?

I always build for the specific joose in the atty that will run it Daniel. So they all have different builds in them. I know all my DIY's so well that I got the first builds spot on in them. I'm running all of them single coil... have a 24N80 4mm build in one, and different value 26/32 Clapton 3mm builds in the other two.

I always build for the specific joose in the atty that will run it Daniel. So they all have different builds in them. I know all my DIY's so well that I got the first builds spot on in them. I'm running all of them single coil... have a 24N80 4mm build in one, and different value 26/32 Clapton 3mm builds in the other two.
I'm using mine without the airflow insert. I have a staggered fused clapton in mine and it's performing great. I use it at 40-45w and the flavor on it is great. Next up I'm gonna try some 28g aliens in them.

As you know I am a dedicated DLH vaper... so like most of my gear I run all of these wide open with no restriction pin installed. Keep in mind that even wide open you can still stop down the AFC ring to as tight as you want all the way to closed.

My builds are listed above.

Thanks @daniel craig and @Spydro

Have you guys found any ideal coil position and what different coil positions do to the vape?
I assume height of the coil is the major variable here?

I'm using mine without the airflow insert. I have a staggered fused clapton in mine and it's performing great. I use it at 40-45w and the flavor on it is great. Next up I'm gonna try some 28g aliens in them.

I run everything wide open for my DLH's. Next I'll try some ceramic RxW builds that will yield even better flavor than any cotton build can.

Thanks @daniel craig and @Spydro

Have you guys found any ideal coil position and what different coil positions do to the vape?
I assume height of the coil is the major variable here?

Haven't had mine long enough to do much playing with them yet. But coil position is definitely a variable that effects the fluid dynamics. But in these chimney RTA's with the air coming from right below the coil it's not going to have as much effect as on a wide open side AFC atty where the air taken in has to dodge the clutter of the build deck (posts, etc.) causing turbulence that can interrupt the fluid dynamics.

Haven't had mine long enough to do much playing with them yet. But coil position is definitely a variable that effects the fluid dynamics. But in these chimney RTA's with the air coming from right below the coil it's not going to have as much effect as on a wide open side AFC atty where the air taken in has to dodge the clutter of the build deck (posts, etc.) causing turbulence that can interrupt the fluid dynamics.

Thanks @Spydro
Good point!

I suppose height is the major variable here. So if its low down, then the airflow is a bit more "stifled". Versus higher up - and it being able to flow more around the coil. But then I suppose higher up can give more throat hit because its closer to your mouth? Not sure if my thinking is right.

Thanks @Spydro
Good point!

I suppose height is the major variable here. So if its low down, then the airflow is a bit more "stifled". Versus higher up - and it being able to flow more around the coil. But then I suppose higher up can give more throat hit because its closer to your mouth? Not sure if my thinking is right.

I would think the solution for your own personal best vape with your own pull style would be simple to find. Do a build in a specific location, then move it up and/or down to see how that changes the vape with your style. It can all be done good enough with the same build installed, just move the coil.

Man how awesome it would be if we could get our hands on some ReadyxWick ceramic wicking locally.

@Spydro the merlin mini is a great tank. Run mine in TC without any restrictor and for me, i find the flavor to be better than the SM25

Man how awesome it would be if we could get our hands on some ReadyxWick ceramic wicking locally.

@Spydro the merlin mini is a great tank. Run mine in TC without any restrictor and for me, i find the flavor to be better than the SM25

Unfortunately RxW is a product that only Americans can get legally. I don't necessarily agree with the reasons why, but it is what it is due to the politics here, and the product is high on our customs radar.

The Merlin Mini's produce better flavor than the SM's for me as well, but the SM's are not too far behind. I can live with the smaller joose capacity of the MM's, but some folks probably would not. AugVape sort of missed the capacity boat, and that will cost them some lost sales.

Unfortunately RxW is a product that only Americans can get legally. I don't necessarily agree with the reasons why, but it is what it is due to the politics here, and the product is high on our customs radar.

The Merlin Mini's produce better flavor than the SM's for me as well, but the SM's are not too far behind. I can live with the smaller joose capacity of the MM's, but some folks probably would not. AugVape sort of missed the capacity boat, and that will cost them some lost sales.
$750 000 fine if you take it out of the US

Not going to happen, it has military applications and is therefore subject to their embargo laws.

As of 2014, there are several United States embargoes and sanctions in force by the United States against several countries and activities, the most notable of which are against countries the federal government of the United States considers State Sponsors of Terrorism.

Some sanctions imposed by the United States government are:

• No arms-related exports[1]
  • Controls over dual-use exports
  • Restrictions on economic assistance
  • Financial restrictions

In 2006 Boeing was fined for $15 million for unlicensed foreign sales involving a gyroscopic microchip or gyrochip with military applications.[10]

Not going to happen, it has military applications and is therefore subject to their embargo laws.

In 2006 Boeing was fined for $15 million for unlicensed foreign sales involving a gyroscopic microchip or gyrochip with military applications.[10]
If you go to US on holiday you can't carry RxW in hand luggage?

Need to get some via the black market

That $750k fine for carrying out of the US makes me reconsider.

If it was actually readily available via a black market, far more folks in SA would already be using it instead of just the chosen few. :nod:

Finally got round to trying out the Merlin Mini tonight.

My first 'mission' for this tank is to see how it compares to my 'mighty' Lemo1 for my 'Strawberry Ice' blend.

I was attracted to this tank for it's ability to do single coils and mouth to lung , which I will try later.

But first up it's restricted lung so I used the larger of the two airflow restrictors.

First impression after the first few vapes is that it's good. Easy to coil and wick. Good flavour. A bit wetter than the Lemo1. Not as sharp and defined. A bit more rounded - but still good.

Decided to do the same coil as I have in the Lemo1. 28g Kanthal , 8 wraps , 2mm ID - 1.26 ohms. I did straighten it after the photo ;-)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1485720283.739159.jpg

Using Rayon wick as well

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1485720390.863581.jpg

And have it on the Minikin 1.5. Great pairing. Nice and compact.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1485720429.266674.jpg

The airflow is slightly too restricted. I should have probably tried first without any airflow restrictor installed. Strangely when I open the airflow slot to wide open the airflow is slightly more restricted than when it's a third open. Weird. Maybe it's the way the air is flowing.

Anyhow it's still early days and the coil and wick need to settle. Will see how it goes but am enjoying it. Will probably have to remove the airflow restrictor but I suppose I will have to make another coil. Pity.

I am slip streaming slightly with my lips.

I do like the comfort and feel of the drip tip.

I also like the top filling. Easier than the Lemo1 which has to be removed to access the fill port screw. But then again the Lemo1 takes more juice so filling at these power levels is not a frequent occurrence ;-)

As I alluded to above @Silver, running the MM with no MTL pin in it allows you to custom restrict the vape with the AFC ring from wide open air to closed. I'd bet by removing the pin and using the ring you'll get the restriction you want.

Finally got round to trying out the Merlin Mini tonight.

My first 'mission' for this tank is to see how it compares to my 'mighty' Lemo1 for my 'Strawberry Ice' blend.

I was attracted to this tank for it's ability to do single coils and mouth to lung , which I will try later.

But first up it's restricted lung so I used the larger of the two airflow restrictors.

First impression after the first few vapes is that it's good. Easy to coil and wick. Good flavour. A bit wetter than the Lemo1. Not as sharp and defined. A bit more rounded - but still good.

Decided to do the same coil as I have in the Lemo1. 28g Kanthal , 8 wraps , 2mm ID - 1.26 ohms. I did straighten it after the photo ;-)

View attachment 83317

Using Rayon wick as well

View attachment 83318

And have it on the Minikin 1.5. Great pairing. Nice and compact.

View attachment 83319

The airflow is slightly too restricted. I should have probably tried first without any airflow restrictor installed. Strangely when I open the airflow slot to wide open the airflow is slightly more restricted than when it's a third open. Weird. Maybe it's the way the air is flowing.

Anyhow it's still early days and the coil and wick need to settle. Will see how it goes but am enjoying it. Will probably have to remove the airflow restrictor but I suppose I will have to make another coil. Pity.

I am slip streaming slightly with my lips.

I do like the comfort and feel of the drip tip.

I also like the top filling. Easier than the Lemo1 which has to be removed to access the fill port screw. But then again the Lemo1 takes more juice so filling at these power levels is not a frequent occurrence ;-)
And how are you finding the re-filling? This is a beautiful little tank, but the fact that it empties out so fast was just too much for me!

Back