Mixing for MTL

Friep

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
I mixed something just before I left on holiday a mint imperial kind of vibe will post the recipe when I get home and tweak the percentages a bit.

My question is the juice tastes awesome in my rda's big and small with big builds and diret lung hits mixed 70/30. On my goblin mini v3 with a 0.7 ohms coil and airflow turned down and mtl the flavour is lacking not getting the mint that strong or any of the flavours that well I know I should have gone with a 50/50 mix for mtl.
What other suggestions do you have for mixing for mtl? Higher % of flavour or would the 50/50 mix make that big of a difference?

I mixed the juice for my sister inlaw to help convert her to vaping but I failed on a few fronts with the creation of the juice.
Juice basically uses tfa peppermint 2 black ice and cap super sweat turned out great for me but nocked over the bottle when I mixed it so I am unsure of the % nic and flavour now I need to recreate it at home for myself again.

I asked the same question the other day. I moved over to mtl. I got the siren 2. I use it on a real tight draw, at 15watts. I upped my nic from 3mg to 16mg, mix 50 50, and i up the % of flavour by 30%. Most people say u dont need to up the % but to me, the taste is very muted if i dont up the %.
I went through 30ml a day, to about 3- 5ml a day

I asked the same question the other day. I moved over to mtl. I got the siren 2. I use it on a real tight draw, at 15watts. I upped my nic from 3mg to 16mg, mix 50 50, and i up the % of flavour by 30%. Most people say u dont need to up the % but to me, the taste is very muted if i dont up the %.
I went through 30ml a day, to about 3- 5ml a day

Thanks for the feedback will give it a test when I am home. This confirms a bit of my feeling that I need to increase the% especially because the siren is a proper mtl tank.

Then something else that bothers me is the throat hit on mtl setups my father-in-law needs the throat hit for him I mix 9 to 13mg but my sister-in-law does not like this and she prefers 3mg so my dilemma is my father-in-law gets the nic he needs my sister-in-law doesn't. Currently I am considering nic salts for her and my self to combat the harshness of higher nic vapes.

Great thread @Friep , this is something I am also interested in and will be following
And thanks @bjorncoetsee for your comments

I am not a DIYer (got a few juices from my first mix steeping in the cupboard) but here are my observations from my setups over the years with commercial juices.

I do both MTL and restricted lung hit. I hardly do big air big lung hits but do them occasionally.
There is no question that as I go with more power and more air (ie in the direction away from MTL) then its better to have more VG and less nic.

For me, i have found the following as my current sweet spot for MTL.
RM2 tobacco strong MTL - 50/50 and 18mg. Some juices can be 12mg but any lower than that and its not enough throat hit. I find 70VG juices also dont work as nicely for me for the throat hit I want.

On the Siren V2 i had a 9mg version of Joose-e-liqz 70VG which I "nicced" up a bit with PG nic to about 12mg. So i estimate the final blend was about 60VG. It was definitely better, throat hit wise. But still not like a 50/50 18mg juice on the RM2.

Last edited:
@Friep @Silver don't know if this might help check that help teaching thread I put some info there on there. would all up the nic friep

@Friep @Silver @bjorncoetsee I don't have much experience yet buy have found that sometimes adding a drop or 2 of purified water works slightly better at times.its not always the case though.and sometimes the flavour changes along with the hit the longer it sits in the tank as if the heat of the coil alters the juice flavour.
recently I get more of a hit when I take long slow puffs

@Friep @Silver @bjorncoetsee I don't have much experience yet buy have found that sometimes adding a drop or 2 of purified water works slightly better at times.its not always the case though.and sometimes the flavour changes along with the hit the longer it sits in the tank as if the heat of the coil alters the juice flavour.
recently I get more of a hit when I take long slow puffs
Are you using distilled water? Know you can use that as a thinning solution. Just watch out for leaking on some of the newer rtas with thinner juice.

basically if it de-ionised or purified its all good.distilled would probably be better as there's no charge in the particles

basically if it de-ionised or purified its all good.distilled would probably be better as there's no charge in the particles
What worries me a bit about purified water is that it might contain trace elements and nutrients and I am unsure about other chemicals that might have been uaed in the purification process. I have a bottle of distilled water in my mixing cabinet but haven't used it yet gave my old twisp to my sister-in-law but she gave up on it and wouldn't buy coils for it lol the distilled water was for making mixes for the twisp device.

Then something else that bothers me is the throat hit on mtl setups my father-in-law needs the throat hit for him I mix 9 to 13mg but my sister-in-law does not like this and she prefers 3mg so my dilemma is my father-in-law gets the nic he needs my sister-in-law doesn't. Currently I am considering nic salts for her and my self to combat the harshness of higher nic vapes.

@Friep Get your father-in-law a Gusto Mini, it works with nicotine salts pods and the throat hit is amazing!!!

@Friep go with what you have and what you comfortable with.if you have distilled water then don't add more then a drop per 5ml....anyway that's my ratio

What worries me a bit about purified water is that it might contain trace elements and nutrients and I am unsure about other chemicals that might have been uaed in the purification process. I have a bottle of distilled water in my mixing cabinet but haven't used it yet gave my old twisp to my sister-in-law but she gave up on it and wouldn't buy coils for it lol the distilled water was for making mixes for the twisp device.

@Friep Why would you add distilled water to a mix specifically for a Twisp device? Are the Twisp liquids very thin? Reason why I'm asking is that I have a Twisp Mini Vega that's started bubbling and gurgling like a newborn babe. I wonder if it's because I'm using other e-liquids in it (not Twisp).

@Friep Why would you add distilled water to a mix specifically for a Twisp device? Are the Twisp liquids very thin? Reason why I'm asking is that I have a Twisp Mini Vega that's started bubbling and gurgling like a newborn babe. I wonder if it's because I'm using other e-liquids in it (not Twisp).

Hi @Hooked

The "earlier generation" Twisp gear such as the Clearo1 and even the Clearo2 generally worked better on thinner liquid. They had very small coils and they struggled with thicker juice.

I stand to be corrected but I think your Mini Vega should be more capable on thicker liquids.

Does it still gurgle and bubble when you put in a new coil? Maybe there is a seal missing?

Hi @Hooked

The "earlier generation" Twisp gear such as the Clearo1 and even the Clearo2 generally worked better on thinner liquid. They had very small coils and they struggled with thicker juice.

I stand to be corrected but I think your Mini Vega should be more capable on thicker liquids.

Does it still gurgle and bubble when you put in a new coil? Maybe there is a seal missing?

@Silver Yes it's still gurgling and bubbling. I've tried different e-liquids with it and I've replaced the coil. It was fine for the first month or so that I had the devcie and, as you said, I was using normal 70/30 liquids. I just haven't had a chance to get out of Yzerfontein to go to Mr Tobacco for help. This is one of the disadvantages of living here!!

MTL devices are known to not give as good a flavour as sub ohm RTA's, RDA's and RDTA's. A lot of this boils down the the surface area on the sub ohm coils compared to the higher resistance MTL coils. The enhanced flavour of sub ohming is what is making it now so popular but the unfortunate side effect of that is that you'll go through a lot more juice.
The old twisps used to run on a 50/50 ratio if I remember correctly. I don't know if they have changed that, but it was very watery to allow for maximum and easy juice intake onto the cotton.
If you're mixing DIT for a MTL tank I would say go with a 60VG, 40PG mix to allow your coils to soak up juice easier, maybe 50/50 if you like a little throat hit.... the more PG the greater the throat hit, but the better the flavour as PG holds flavour better than VG. Also maybe up your % concentrates by 1 or 2% atleast.
Some thing to be careful to consider is that your tank may be more liable to leak with a more PG based juice.

65pg/25vg.nautilus style tank.minimal flavour mix.nic suspended in pg.2drops of water in a 20ml bottle.works great for MTL but make you feel like a raisin on DTL.if over vaped.
mod settings 2.4ohm at 9-15watts and 11w being my sweetspot.up to 40w works but not on long puffs.
must say I need to get me a flavour pack now.
@Silver @Friep @Hooked @DamienK @bjorncoetsee.
@Hooked your Vega has spitting and gurgling issues even the ones on display at kiosks does that.I suggest what @Silver said...the seals and also check that the coils cotton wick fills the spaces between the coil and the coils casing especially the holes that allows juice to pass through

pity I can't upload pics and files through my phone I did something else on the base of one of my tanks.I put in a seal that seals the bottom of my coils to the base of my coil seat.that way any coil will seal even without a seal on it.its a McGyver moove

@Hooked your Vega has spitting and gurgling issues even the ones on display at kiosks does that.I suggest what @Silver said...the seals and also check that the coils cotton wick fills the spaces between the coil and the coils casing especially the holes that allows juice to pass through

@Resistance thanks for advice - I'll have a look. But mine DIDN'T have any problems for the first month that I used it. In fact, I loved it so much I wanted to buy a second one. I'm glad now that I didn't!

@Hooked the newe twisp devices should work fine with juice from different vendors. Gurgling normally suggests flooding I am unsure of the mecanics on the vega tank if you fill it from the top make sure the airflow is closed don't know if you have tried this? Might also be an issue with the o-rings(seals) if they have a small tear or don't seal properly the chamber might fill with some excess juice that might cause the gurgling.
Do you prime your coils before vaping or inserting them? (Adding a few drops of liquid to the cotton and some down the tube). Have you tried removing the coil and drying the base where the coil fits into the tank?

If all of this fails I would rather take them back might also be a bad batch of coils.

Thanks for all the advice. Will do a mix soon and try the 60/40 and see what happens and up the % a bit.
I have been doing MTL for more than 4 years now and DIY for almost 2 years. From the start of the latter I have mixed at 60VG/40PG. I have never had to up the percentages on flavours, rather the other way around on the odd occasion. The devices I use are squonkers (mech and regulated), BBs and the odd tank - like the Skyline and the Siren 2.

Back