Mod Explosion At A Vape Meet

Too soon?

u3u6ahy6.jpg

Bottomline of all this comes to one simple thing:

You are not above the laws of electricity folks!
Understand it before you mess with it!

DO NOT GET INTO REBUILDABLES IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE BASIC LAWS OF ELECTRICITY.

937323dd28549fa6caa60f2178c5a867.png

if this happens in a public place or worse on a plane and someone gets injured. that will have some serious effect on vaping. i can only hope it never does.

could you imagine the publicity it would have gotten if someone got injured. there wont be any mention of marketing to kids or antifreeze any more.

could you imagine the publicity it would have gotten if someone got injured. there wont be any mention of marketing to kids or antifreeze any more.

I don't need to imagine it...

It is inevitable that this is going to make headlines SOMEWHERE and the whole scene is gonna get nuked by this.

EDIT-to-add: Don't be surprised if mech mods end up banned in public places, and if someone decides to throw the baby out with the bathwater, ALL ECIGS.
It was only a matter of time...

Could i propose an ice bucket for future vape meets/ cloud competitions? We seem to have mostly aware vapers and a bucket of ice water would be a good place to chuck a run-away battery.

Could i propose an ice bucket for future vape meets/ cloud competitions? We seem to have mostly aware vapers and a bucket of ice water would be a good place to chuck a run-away battery.

Electrical runaway + water = no.

Ooh, with that statement of 1.0Ω you have cut out a good percentage of the vapers on this forum, myself included. Or did you mean 0.1Ω?
I've just built a twisted 30g, 6 wraps 2mm ID, thought I would be at about 0.8ohms. Turned out to be 0.52 ohms. It's working like a champ on my Reo! Need to squonk more often though. Going to do a 28g twisted 5 wraps tomorrow, think 0.7 will be my happy place. This is the lowest I have been.

2014-08-18 22.48.40.jpg

Thermal runaway. The cell gets so warm, it keeps reacting. Pretty much the same a a nuclear meltdown without the radiation and a gazillion time less energy. Yes, the water will create a short but by this time it is already too late. Ice water will slow the reaction and even a plastic bucket would direct the energy up. The water would dampen a lot of the force.

Read somewhere that chucking it in saltwater stabilized it some.

Well, yeah. It really is well beyond the point though.

A battery venting or going into runaway from proper use is less likely than a meteor crashing onto your head, statistically speaking.

And while meteors cannot be avoided by behaviour or education, this sort of thing can.

I don't think that the solution is to plan for the worst, but to educate towards the best.

Otherwise we might as well start taking out meteor insurance... See what I mean?

Well, yeah. It really is well beyond the point though.

A battery venting or going into runaway from proper use is less likely than a meteor crashing onto your head, statistically speaking.

And while meteors cannot be avoided by behaviour or education, this sort of thing can.

I don't think that the solution is to plan for the worst, but to educate towards the best.

Otherwise we might as well start taking out meteor insurance... See what I mean?
Ok dude accidents happen mods get knocked, coils short and buttons get stuck. We all know things can go wrong so lets prepare. I had a scare once and I bet most guys had. Make sure you know what can go wrong and what action to take.

Just by the way these batreries get used in torches and there have been cases of them venting. Not many granted but essensially that is there proper use.

Last edited:
Ok dude accidents happen mods get knocked, coils short and buttons get stuck. We all know things can go wrong so lets prepare. I had a scare once and I bet most guys had. Make sure you know what can go wrong and what action to take.
I had this happen in my Kayfun clone. The post moved when I tightened the catch cup screw. Battery heated up immediately.

File under dumbass:

Skip to 22 minutes when it spews hot acid all over the walls.
0.04 ohms

I'm not trying to bash the cloud chasers here. Just would like to highlight some of the risks for those who might ignore all the safety warnings.

obviously the guy is consistent with his stupidity... plastic bin with paper, while a battery is "cooling down" wtf....

If you use anything in a way it is not intended to be used, you had better know what you are doing...
You don't just become a stunt driver one day and try to jump grand canyon. you start with a simple ramp.
and you certainly don't ask someone to jailbreak your ipad/iphone. either your do it yourself or go without it.

obviously the guy is consistent with his stupidity... plastic bin with paper, while a battery is "cooling down" wtf....

Well, I spose if you're gonna go for it, might as well go for gold?

Naw, scratch that... one day that guy is gonna have a battery completely blow half of his face off, and then we get to have our shit banned on his behalf.

But I don't see them banning cars because people speed, or drive drunk...

But you see... e-cigarettes are evil!

Away from your post:
For the folks who do wish to see what happened to the batteries, both vapemeet and youtube dumbass, here is a "controlled" test of a piece of crap battery. Controlled only in the sense that every measure was taken to prevent harm.

Just to give folks an idea what could be going off within a few centimeters from your face:

Bottomline: Don't use batteries other than the way they were INTENDED to be used. And ALWAYS use the safest batteries.

"obviously the guy is consistent with his stupidity... plastic bin with paper, while a battery is "cooling down" wtf...."
i was also laughing at that consistency and the calmness of what he had just done

I don't do mechanicals or any mods , but my previous device was a Coolfire 1 which takes 18350's . Im not sure if I dropped it or what happened , but 1 day i had it in my pocket and I was wearing jeans , so I couldn't feel that it had been firing because of the denim , but eventually it got to like almost red hot . Seems as tho the trigger got stuck to 'On" and the 10 second cutoff stopped working . I had to unscrew the tank and take out the battery which is now dead . Pretty scary to think what would have happened if I didn't catch it when I did .

I don't do mechanicals or any mods , but my previous device was a Coolfire 1 which takes 18350's . Im not sure if I dropped it or what happened , but 1 day i had it in my pocket and I was wearing jeans , so I couldn't feel that it had been firing because of the denim , but eventually it got to like almost red hot . Seems as tho the trigger got stuck to 'On" and the 10 second cutoff stopped working . I had to unscrew the tank and take out the battery which is now dead . Pretty scary to think what would have happened if I didn't catch it when I did .

Mod malfunctions do happen, and if your mod takes a hit/knock, best to test all it's functions safely before using it again.

Also remember guys:
Even an annoying safety feature, like click 5 times to lock/unlock, can never be underestimated.
They are there for a reason, and shouldn't be considered as a pain in the ass standing between you and your vapes.
I've read/seen a few mentions in other threads about people being annoyed by lock features to such a level that they ignore them, or wish they could disable them.
Don't do that...

Last edited:
At this rate, think we need to start carrying 1st aid kits and mini fire extinguishers :-D

cloud chasing today is like the old F1 days its no fun unless someone blows up lol only kidding!
for those of you entering cloud competitions make sure you do your calculations correct and dont try any shortcuts!

At this rate, think we need to start carrying 1st aid kits and mini fire extinguishers :-D

Lol, I suppose I should add the disclaimer that I am the type that has a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Yes there us also a first aid kit in my vehicle.
:rolleyes:

sent using Tapatalk 2

Back