Mod Explosion At A Vape Meet

RATZ

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Wasn't sure where to stick this so I'll file it under general.

Copy pasted directly From the Vape community on G+ :-

Michael Vapors originally shared to Wick Wire & Power (Discussion):

SAFETY FIRST!
Looks like some fool modified his Mutant clone and it got locked ON.

http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_...e_blast_cloud_comp_participant_pipebombs_mod/

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-vaping-discussion/594756-explosion-vape-blast-4.html

I'm not posting this to put negativity towards vaping. I'm posting this towards safety awareness. Today at [HASHTAG]#vapeblast[/HASHTAG] someone had a battery malfunction and endangered a crowd of people. I was in the second round of the cloud comp, and after walking off the stage I had walked over to talk to my stores owner.
Before seeing him I heard a loud hiss, and I turned and saw someone frantically holding their mod as smoke came out. I turned my back and then heard the loudest sound I've heard. I was about five feet away and I literally felt a shockwave to my body. It caused a massive ruckus and turned into a photo frenzy. It also cancelled the cloud contest and caused many attendees to leave the event.
From what I gathered, the person had a modified switch on a mutant clone. The mod does not have a locking switch so keep that in mind. The explosions created three holes in the ceiling and made a large dent in the concrete floor.

BUILD SAFE AND LOCK YOUR MODS, IF ITS RECESSED, KEEP IN MY WHATS IN YOUR POCKETS. IF YOUR BATTERY VENTS, DONT THROW IT INTO A CROWD OF PEOPLE.

Last edited:
Heavy days... You get stupid, and then you get stupid. Seriously

Yeah.

From what I have read so far, the device fired in his pocket and he couldn't kill it so he panicked, threw it on the floor and ran. Apparently P Basardo was there and took a ton of pics so we can expect a long rant within the next few days. ;)

File under dumbass:

Skip to 22 minutes when it spews hot acid all over the walls.
0.04 ohms

I'm not trying to bash the cloud chasers here. Just would like to highlight some of the risks for those who might ignore all the safety warnings.

File under dumbass:

Skip to 22 minutes when it spews hot acid all over the walls.
0.04 ohms

I'm not trying to bash the cloud chasers here. Just would like to highlight some of the risks for those who might ignore all the safety warnings.

Definitely from the shallow end of the gene pool.

e41eb32c-aba0-4f5a-8ddc-159cdcd9aadaCapture.JPG

Lol, just had to post this comment from Vaping_Arsehole on the reddit thread, lol:

Uhg. Pretty soon neckbeards will be showing up to these events with battery packs on their back looking like a Ghostbuster.

wow glad no one was injured. as for the guy in the video, he should stick to the family business of sewage siphoning. he should worry less about the walls and more about himself.

Stupid people should not breed!

Watched the video on battery explosion posted above. Just for clarity, did that happen because his resistance was too low or was it the voltage that was cranked up with it as a combination?

Stupid people should not breed!

Watched the video on battery explosion posted above. Just for clarity, did that happen because his resistance was too low or was it the voltage that was cranked up with it as a combination?

It's a mechanical mod, so you can't regulate voltage. the problem is wattage. 1 watt = 1 joule /sec . assuming freshly charged battery is 4.2 volts:-
Selection_013.png

This silly ....... won't be alive for too long. if you sit through the video he kills a few batteries before the last one which suffers from what is known as a catastrophic failure. The first clue is that the mod is so hot he can't hold it with his bare hands..

On a positive note; this does speak well of battery safety if they can handle failing in this way. Maybe we should encourage him to do some 'real world testing' :devil:

Last edited:
It's a mechanical mod, so the only way to regulate the voltage is by the resistance of the coil. the problem is wattage. 1 watt = 1 joule /sec . assuming freshly charged battery is 4.2 volts:-
View attachment 10033

This silly ....... won't be alive for too long. if you sit through the video he kills a few batteries before the last one which suffers from what is known as a catastrophic failure. The first clue is that the mod is so hot he can't hold it with his bare hands..

On a positive note; this does speak well of battery safety if they can handle failing in this way. Maybe we should encourage him to do some 'real world testing' :devil:

What dumba$$ keeps vaping when he has to use a towel to be able to keep using his mod from overheating? He had plenty of warning and yet he just kept on going, what a douche

So please do your homework. I do not own a mech yet, but plan to just because some are damn sexy. I do however have a good understanding of electronics and know very well that 1.0Ω is not a lot of resistance. below this you are basically creating a short and should carry a burn kit.

There are a lot of good minds on this forum with plenty of experience and local knowledge between them. Ask questions, read, go to vape meets, Pm them.

So please do your homework. I do not own a mech yet, but plan to just because some are damn sexy. I do however have a good understanding of electronics and know very well that 1.0Ω is not a lot of resistance. below this you are basically creating a short and should carry a burn kit.

There are a lot of good minds on this forum with plenty of experience and local knowledge between them. Ask questions, read, go to vape meets, Pm them.
Ooh, with that statement of 1.0Ω you have cut out a good percentage of the vapers on this forum, myself included. Or did you mean 0.1Ω?

Ooh, with that statement of 1.0Ω you have cut out a good percentage of the vapers on this forum, myself included. Or did you mean 0.1Ω?
0.1 is a bit hairy. I've been to scared to drop under 0.2 still hovering at the low 0.3's. I wacked a 0.8 in the atomic to normalize myself again.

But yeah 1ohm is only 17w it starts getting interesting at 0.6.

.4 duals on the Atomic is my fav

Nope.
Will find the time to do a proper explanation.

Briefly:
V = I x R (Voltage = Current multiplied by Resistance)
1 = 1 x 1Ω

in this example:

4 = ? x 0.04Ω
ohms law : current equal voltage divided by resistance

? = 4 / 0.04Ω
== 100
??
aaah, I figged up my first statement ...calculated amperage.

so he was putting 100amps through those batteries.
dumbass...

Watts calculation:
The the power P in watts (W) is equal to the voltage V in volts (V) times the current I in amps (A):

watts = 4volts x 100 amps
400 watts o_O

Scary stuff!!

Thanks for sharing bud.

Lol that kid was so chilled about the whole thing. My guess is he was a bit slow (hence the being cool with vaping on a device where he has to hold a towel around it) :eek:

One can never be too careful! Batteries are no joke. It seems like some lose sight of that when they're just trying to blow fat clouds.

Stay safe peeps!

Nope.
Will find the time to do a proper explanation.

Briefly:
V = I x R (Voltage = Current multiplied by Resistance)
1 = 1 x 1Ω

in this example:

4 = ? x 0.04Ω
ohms law : current equal voltage divided by resistance

? = 4 / 0.04Ω
== 100
??
aaah, I figged up my first statement ...calculated amperage.

so he was putting 100amps through those batteries.
dumbass...

Watts calculation:
The the power P in watts (W) is equal to the voltage V in volts (V) times the current I in amps (A):

watts = 4volts x 100 amps
400 watts o_O

Ok, do not understand this explanation as it relates to your statement in question, but not looking forward to your "proper explanation" as it would entail me carrying around a burn kit:).

Go regulated! Let the board inside your mod protect you!

I'll try find a way to explain watts mechanically. Preferably in a way that involves stuff exploding.

Scary stuff!!

Thanks for sharing bud.

Lol that kid was so chilled about the whole thing. My guess is he was a bit slow (hence the being cool with vaping on a device where he has to hold a towel around it) :eek:

One can never be too careful! Batteries are no joke. It seems like some lose sight of that when they're just trying to blow fat clouds.

Stay safe peeps!

Indeed, or using the bolt cutters to cut the wire :confused:

Back