More News

very nice to see
quite amazing one sees this post just after the previous one of the baby snatcher at Spar
SA is a crazy place. Nice and bad at the same time !

this is very scary
thanks for sharing.
I think babies need to be clipped onto the trolley with a chain of sorts and a band around their waist
cant believe the gall of that staff member that picked up the baby
Apparently one can get a "leash" for a toddler, so I guess one could tie the "leash" to the trolley.

''
In 2021, the Gautrain Management Agency (GMA) paid the Bombela Concession Company a patronage guarantee of R2.014 billion through funding from the Gauteng provincial government.
In 2020, the patronage guarantee paid to Bombela was R1.9 billion. Since 2013, Gauteng taxpayers have funded the shortfall of riders on the Gautrain by around R13 billion.
“Any expansion of Gautrain perpetuates a system which caters for a minority of citizens, all the while costing Gauteng taxpayers billions of rands,” it said.''

The Department of Trade, Industry and Competition (DTIC) gazetted a draft proposal to crack down on illegal dealings relating to scrap metal trade in South Africa for public comment, and the African National Congress (ANC) is in full support.

The Department of Trade, Industry and Competition (DTIC) gazetted a draft proposal to crack down on illegal dealings relating to scrap metal trade in South Africa for public comment, and the African National Congress (ANC) is in full support.
This is insane. I work for one of the biggest scrap metal companies in KZN and this export ban is causing unbelievable headaches and job losses in the industry.

We have been calling for much stricter policing on the industry for years and also for a ban of cash for scrap which would alleviate a lot of the problems.
We have implemented very, very strict buying policies for copper and aluminium cable in particular (even though we have always been strict and fussy over who we buy from).

The problem in this industry isn't the larger yards, the problem is the smaller yards that are given a second hand goods act license and then not policed and monitored. We used to be inspected twice a month minimum. We haven't been inspected in 2 years!!

I have seen police find Transnet rail INSIDE a container at a scrap yard ready for export and all they did was take the rail out the container and leave it on the side of the yard. No arrests, no fines. Nothing.

A total ban of scrap metal export is NOT the answer, proper policing and stricter controls IS the answer!

''Namibia and Botswana recently halted imports of certain produce from South Africa, including tomatoes, carrots, beetroot, potatoes, cabbage, lettuce, garlic, onions, ginger, turmeric, chilli peppers, butternut, water melons, sweet peppers, green mealies, and fresh herbs
The two countries imposed the bans to protect their local agricultural sectors and to boost their horticultural competitiveness. ''

Dialdirect highlighted the most common hijacking trends in the country:

• The blockage method – pouncing on victims when deliveries are made, keeping security gates open and forcing those inside the property to comply with their demands. This tactic is also used on narrow roads, where there’s little or no space for the victim to escape.
  • The imposter method – on the road, at homes and at businesses – posing as officials to get people to pull over or grant access to their properties.
  • The Good Samaritan method – convincing targets that something is wrong with their vehicles or taking a vehicle’s number plate or another accessory when the vehicle is stationary, and then driving next to and showing it to their targets – as if they picked it up and simply want to return it – to get them to pull over.
  • The test drive method – posing as a potential buyer who wants to test drive the vehicle but with no intention of returning it.
  • The bumper bashing method – bumping into their victim’s vehicle, making them think that it’s an accident.
  • The breakdown method – acting as if their vehicle has broken down, getting victims to pull over to help or to slow down to drive around them.
  • Driveway hijackings – boxing in victims when entering or exiting their properties.
  • The follow-me-home method – identifying a high-value target in a public space and then following them to a more opportune pouncing spot.
  • The slow-moving traffic method – staking out a spot where traffic is moving slowly or following a target at a distance, later moving closer and striking at a traffic light.

I found this part particularly interesting:
The ultra-marathon attracted many interesting characters. Bill Payn, a Springbok rugby player and well-loved Durban teacher, was persuaded to participate in the 1922 marathon and made the decision the night before.

He ran the race in rugby boots, stopped for a chicken curry in Hillcrest, drank beer in a Drummond hotel, accepted peach schnapps en route and enjoyed tea and cake with his family in Pietermaritzburg before finishing in 8th position. Payn played a club rugby match the next day.

With just two days remaining in the cycle that will determine September’s prices, the latest unaudited data from the Central Energy Fund is giving us a clearer picture of what to expect when prices change on Wednesday, September 7.

Give or take a few cents, the price of 95 Unleaded petrol is likely to come down by around R2.27 per litre, while the cheaper 93 Unleaded is looking set for a decrease of around R2.11. This would bring the price of 95 ULP down to R22.50 at the coast and R23.15 inland, where 93 ULP would theoretically retail at R22.88.

For no reason other than to insert myself into the story, I performed for HM during the Golden Jubilee in 2002 at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo; she was a tiny figure way up in the VIP box, but still...

During one of our later trips, we became quite friendly with the Irish Guards. Their Pipe Major went on to become Sovereign's Piper and served as a member of the Royal Household for 5 years. He is pretty devastated on a personal level.

Back