Flavour and throat hit seeker
Staff member
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
Hi all

I've been testing the iStick against my trusty MVP2 for powering my humble yet precious Evod1

I can confidently say I prefer the MVP2. The vape itself is better. I find the draw slightly tighter and the flavour is better. Am using my VM Strawberry with Menthol concentrate mix. And I get slightly more icy coldness on the MVP and a slightly richer flavour. There is also something slightly more pleasing about the way the MVP2 delivers its power. The iStick feels like its "pulsating" a bit more than the MVP.

The iStick gives me a bit more air. I think it's the hole in the pin of its ego adapter and the airway slots on the iStick device.

Not talking about the other issues like comfort in the hand, battery life and durability, in which case the MVP2 wins hands down. I'm talking just about the vape itself.

If I cover one of the airholes on the Evod while vaping on the iStick it is a bit better.

This is all mouth to lung of course. And at about 7.5 Watts on the MVP2 and about 6.5 to 7 Watts on the iStick.

MVP2 for the win!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419497545.755862.jpg

Last edited:
Having said the above, I do fully appreciate the higher power capability the iStick has
But in this post I am just looking at it for the Evod 1 - which doesnt need more than about 8 or 9 Watts

This is a very interesting comparison, very nice :clap:

I would be curious to know if it is the same for the Aspire Nautilus too.

I've only used a mPT3 clearo on the iStick and it was fine, but I did not compare it to anything else - except the Spinner II/EMOW battery, but they are a bit weak for the comparison to be of any value.

It seems your trusty MPV+Evod1 setup still has some life left in it even now.

This is a very interesting comparison, very nice :clap:

I would be curious to know if it is the same for the Aspire Nautilus too.

I've only used a mPT3 clearo on the iStick and it was fine, but I did not compare it to anything else - except the Spinner II/EMOW battery, but they are a bit weak for the comparison to be of any value.

It seems your trusty MPV+Evod1 setup still has some life left in it even now.

Thanks @free3dom. Am loving my Evod1/MVP2 combo. Makes for a nice change and for mindless lower power vaping inbetween big toots from the squonk army. Credit for that term goes to @Oupa

As for the nautilus mini, it needs about 12 watts for my preference, so the MVP2 is not well suited. I use it on the SVD mainly. Not sure why but i havent really done proper side by side testing with the nautilus mini on the SVD vs iStick. I need to spend more time with the Nautilus mini on the iStick.

Thanks @free3dom. Am loving my Evod1/MVP2 combo. Makes for a nice change and for mindless lower power vaping inbetween big toots from the squonk army. Credit for that term goes to @Oupa

As for the nautilus mini, it needs about 12 watts for my preference, so the MVP2 is not well suited. I use it on the SVD mainly. Not sure why but i havent really done proper side by side testing with the nautilus mini on the SVD vs iStick. I need to spend more time with the Nautilus mini on the iStick.

While the mAN iStick/SVD comparison would be great, I think you have more than enough other (more interesting) device testing to do...for now :D

Luckily, testing out and experimenting with vape devices (VDs :eek:) is really fun, so even if you don't find a winner it (usually) doesn't feel like a waste of time ;-)

I still need to find a perfect device+atty combo. I really like my Lemo on the iStick, but I wouldn't call it a perfect setup. Luckily there is a stream of new devices (in both those categories) for 2015 so finding my perfect setup will be one of the first new year's resolutions I will do my very best to keep ;)

With regards to the MVP 2 and the Istick. I have tried both my Nautilus and kangerteck mini 3 on both. The Kangertech works much better with the MVP and the Nautilus feels like it was made for the Istick.

While the mAN iStick/SVD comparison would be great, I think you have more than enough other (more interesting) device testing to do...for now :D

Luckily, testing out and experimenting with vape devices (VDs :eek:) is really fun, so even if you don't find a winner it (usually) doesn't feel like a waste of time ;-)

I still need to find a perfect device+atty combo. I really like my Lemo on the iStick, but I wouldn't call it a perfect setup. Luckily there is a stream of new devices (in both those categories) for 2015 so finding my perfect setup will be one of the first new year's resolutions I will do my very best to keep ;)

I hear you @free3dom
Nothing is ever a waste. All in the name of Science ;-)
We need to collaborate on finding a great regulated mod for the Lemo and the like. 00
I wish I could have the MVP2 with 30 or 40 watts. Then i think i would be quite happy!

I hear you @free3dom
Nothing is ever a waste. All in the name of Science ;-)
We need to collaborate on finding a great regulated mod for the Lemo and the like. 00
I wish I could have the MVP2 with 30 or 40 watts. Then i think i would be quite happy!

With all these new devices coming in (thanks to our awesome vendors), I think we will get some great info in the next month or so on what the pros/cons are and where they fit in :nerd:

Personally I'm going to go with the Cloupor Mini at first, but am definitely looking at getting the Smok M50 Mini as well later on. I will be conducting thorough tests using the Lemo (In the name of Science, of course) ;)

Also, so many of the fine members on here have Lemos and I'm pretty sure that we will get a good indication of it's performance on all the new devices before long :D

It's a good time to be looking at regulated mods :rock:

I hear you and agree with you
I just want one with magnets
If its got changeable batteries, then i think it should have magnets to allow for easy and quick changes.

@Silver. I feel the same however the IVP doesn't have magnets so I have just turned to charging with USB now. the Efest batteries seems happy with it, so will keep on going that way and post my findings.

I hear you and agree with you
I just want one with magnets
If its got changeable batteries, then i think it should have magnets to allow for easy and quick changes.

Absolutely, this is exactly my reasoning for going with the Cloupor Mini - replacable battery with a nice magnetic door :rock:

Hi all

I've been testing the iStick against my trusty MVP2 for powering my humble yet precious Evod1

I can confidently say I prefer the MVP2. The vape itself is better. I find the draw slightly tighter and the flavour is better. Am using my VM Strawberry with Menthol concentrate mix. And I get slightly more icy coldness on the MVP and a slightly richer flavour. There is also something slightly more pleasing about the way the MVP2 delivers its power. The iStick feels like its "pulsating" a bit more than the MVP.

The iStick gives me a bit more air. I think it's the hole in the pin of its ego adapter and the airway slots on the iStick device.

Not talking about the other issues like comfort in the hand, battery life and durability, in which case the MVP2 wins hands down. I'm talking just about the vape itself.

If I cover one of the airhole on the Evod while vaping on the iStick it is a bit better.

This is all mouth to lung of course. And at about 7.5 Watts on the MVP2 and about 6.5 to 7 Watts on the iStick.

MVP2 for the win!

View attachment 18239

My experience has been similar, both myself and @KimH have both iStick's and Mvp 2's and we both prefer the Mvp 2 over the iStick.
I have used an Evod 1, Aerotank Mini, Aerotank Mega, Gladius and a Nauti Mini, to name a few across both, and the MVP 2 is still my preferred power source between these two, I also actually prefer the CLK VV over the iStick.

The iStick, for me produces a warmer vape at lower wattage, (I dont like a warm vape), which seems to effect the smaller skirted clearo's more than the others with only the 510 thread and "side airholes".
8 Watts on a 1.8ohm coil, in the mini Aerotank on the MVP 2 is cooler and a more pleasant than 4.5 watts on the iStick, I have tested this across 2 different iSticks and 3 different Mvp's.

The iStick does definitely allow more air, (the 4 slots on the top of the iStick adapter barrel are deeper than the Mvp's), in spite of this the vape is still hotter at a lower wattage on the iStick.
To me this indicates that either the wattage settings on the iStick are waaay out, or, and I suspect this more, with the PWM on the iStick that, in order to obtain an average wattage, it is pulsing way higher initially, (possibly burning the juice slightly), before dropping down in between cycles, and due to the way I vape, I accentuate/aggravate it.

The way I vape is, I Iung hit everything, and take longish drags, (average length of drag: 6 - 7 seconds), all my adjustable clearo's are permanently set with the air wide open and the Evod's/ non adjustable airholes are drilled out. The only dripper I have found thus far, that I don't leave the airholes wide open on, is the Freakshow.

Why do I vape this way, I don't know, its just the way I've always done it, I actually have to concentrate to do mouth to lung. After 22 years of smoking, I found out that I had been doing it wrong, I used to lung hit cigarettes.:confused: Which explained why everyone who's cigarette I ever took a drag of, moaned afterwards that I "pulled it hot" :D

Anyway, back on point, I suspect that the amount and duration of air I draw over a coil, cools the coil, possibly changing it's resistance, and as a result the wattage changes to compensate, although why that would effect PWM and not Linear modulation as badly I don't know, so I may be way off base with this one.

One final example, @KimH and I were testing/tasting new juices this morning, she was using her iStick and Nauti Mini and it was just audibly "rattlesnaking", (it wasn't loud, but you could hear it above the crackling of the juice when taking a drag), we swapped the Nauti over to the Mvp 2 and it was a much better vape.

So for me the iStick will be my last PWM device, even if the form factor is as great as the iStick's is.

Great info @Arctus. I never did this experiment and find it very interesting. To me the iStick works really well, but then I use it exclusively with RTAs. And I actually prefer the iStick to the Vamo for them - I vary between mouth-to-lung and lung hits (as the fit strikes me).

I do think this is very important info to know because I've been recommeding the iStick for starting vapers. This makes me thing it might not be the ideal first device when paired with a clearomizer :eek:

No complaints so far, but it seems I need to discover a better noob device - maybe one of the new mini regulated devices will fit the bill :nerd::nod:

Interesting @Arctus, thanks for sharing your views and findings

Look, let me say that the iStick is a really good device and it works very well. The vape on it is still good. Not as if it has a terrible vape. Just a very subtle thing i am noticing versus the MVP2.

When you say PWM, sorry for my ignorance, but arent most regulated devices PWM? Is the MVP2 also PWM? Maybe its just a different type of PWM?

As for the iStick, PBusardo described at great length in one of his videos that the iStick works on average voltage and powerr settings, not RMS, as do most other regulated devices. There is about a 20% difference between the two settings depending on the resistance. So the IStick on say 7 watts is roughly equivalent to the MVP on about 8.5 Watts.

That doesnt bother me since one sets it to taste while you vaping, but it does make direct comparisons more difficult

Strange that you also prefer the MVP with its tighter airflow, given your preference for lung hitting. I actually think those that prefer a looser draw will actually prefer the iStick

It's all very interesting and its great we have a platform to discuss it like this

Last edited:
Interesting @Arctus, thanks for sharing your views and findings

Look, let me say that the iStick is a really good device and it works very well. The vape on it is still good. Not as if it has a terrible vape. Just a very subtle thing i am noticing versus the MVP2.

When you say PWM, sorry for my ignorance, but arent most regulated devices PWM? Is the MVP2 also PWM? Maybe its just a different type of PWM?

As for the iStick, PBusardo described at great length in one of his videos that the iStick works on average voltage and powerr settings, not RMS, as do most other regulated devices. There is about a 20% difference between the two settings depending on the resistance. So the IStick on say 7 watts is roughly equivalent to the MVP on about 8.5 Watts.

That doesnt bother me since one sets it to taste while you vaping, but it does make direct comparisons more difficult

Strange that you also prefer the MVP with its tighter airflow, given your preference for lung hitting. I actually think those that prefer a looser draw will actually prefer the iStick

It's all very interesting and its great we have a platform to discuss it like this

We've been using a lot of acronyms here, so I thought maybe for other readers it would be good to just clarify what they are (without having to Google it ;)):

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation
RMS = Root Mean Square
AVG = Average

These are all related to the way power is delivered (i.e. the Wattage of a device). There is a nice discussion on the topic over on ECF (which explains it far better than I can):

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/apv-discussion/370371-pwm-rms-avg-etc.html

Carry on :D

@free3dom The iStick is a great starter device, I would continue recommending this device as a starter. Many people will not even notice what I have mentioned. The size, shape and button placement alone of the iStick make it preferable for most people.
My experiences apply to me and my preferences, others may have different preferences.

It may also come down to the simple fact that I have had the Mvp longer than the iStick, thus I am more "attuned" to it and it's ways, had I had the iStick first, I may feel very differently.
I suspect with the many new mini devices coming out that there may be a better candidate on the way, but with the changing speed of the vaping device world, there will always be a better device just over the horizon, and something now is better than waiting for the next big thing and smoking cigarettes while you wait.

@Silver I agree the iStick is a great little device for what it is, and no-one should view them differently because of my preferences that are specific to me.
The Mvp is not a PWM device, see busardo's video on it, power signal is at about 12:48
I suspect the iStick's I have tested have a larger margin of error than the one pbusardo tested, but unfortunately I dont have this type of testing equipment, so I could never prove it either way.

My fault, I should have been more clear in my original post, the post slots on the standard Mvp are shallower than the slots on the iStick adaptor, mine are filed deeper. I doubt any manufacturer will ever produce any device that is just perfect for me, so I tend to tweak things a little. :D

As a matter of interest, I have also used the bottom pin of an aerotank coil in an evod coil, (the air hole in the pin of the aerotank coil is larger than the standard evod coil, but it fits in the evod coil as a replacement)
Although this allows much better airflow, it reduces taste a lot, (for me), so I stick to the standard evod coil pin.
The aerotank is a dual coil and the evod single, so full on aerotank airflow for the evod is too much.

In standard form, the iStick does have a much better airflow for skirted, (ego cone threaded) tanks, however for 510 threaded "side air entry" tanks like the Nautilus or the Aerotank mega, the post of the power supplying device will have no effect, no matter it's shape or size.

And finally, there is nothing wrong with the iStick, the iStick + Nauti Mini is a brilliant starter combo for any newbie.
I was a die hard aerotank fan, disappointed with the hype around the original Nautilus, (it was over hyped rubbish, in my opinion) and I thought the mini would be the same. But once I tested the mini with the new BVC coil, I grudgingly had to admit that it produced better flavour than my aerotank's :eek:

The best devices are ,the ones that work for you, use other peoples opinions as starting points and work from there, until you find the device that works best for you. It's a journey, enjoy it.

@Arctus I totally agree that most new vapers would simply love the setup - it's a grand one to start on compared to what some of us did :D

I think I was just surprised to find that it has such a pronounced difference to RMS devices, and I fully intend to do some of my own testing when I get the Cloupor Mini in a few weeks (pretty sure it will be RMS).

Right at this particular second I would still recommend the iStick for beginners instead of eGo batteries as it does give quite a bit more room for growth. However, I believe there is a better one just on the horizon, as always :D

These are the kinds of threads that keep us from getting too comfortable with what "is", and allows us to see what can be - great job @Silver :clap:

@free3dom The iStick is a great starter device, I would continue recommending this device as a starter. Many people will not even notice what I have mentioned. The size, shape and button placement alone of the iStick make it preferable for most people.
My experiences apply to me and my preferences, others may have different preferences.

It may also come down to the simple fact that I have had the Mvp longer than the iStick, thus I am more "attuned" to it and it's ways, had I had the iStick first, I may feel very differently.
I suspect with the many new mini devices coming out that there may be a better candidate on the way, but with the changing speed of the vaping device world, there will always be a better device just over the horizon, and something now is better than waiting for the next big thing and smoking cigarettes while you wait.

@Silver I agree the iStick is a great little device for what it is, and no-one should view them differently because of my preferences that are specific to me.
The Mvp is not a PWM device, see busardo's video on it, power signal is at about 12:48
I suspect the iStick's I have tested have a larger margin of error than the one pbusardo tested, but unfortunately I dont have this type of testing equipment, so I could never prove it either way.

My fault, I should have been more clear in my original post, the post slots on the standard Mvp are shallower than the slots on the iStick adaptor, mine are filed deeper. I doubt any manufacturer will ever produce any device that is just perfect for me, so I tend to tweak things a little. :D

As a matter of interest, I have also used the bottom pin of an aerotank coil in an evod coil, (the air hole in the pin of the aerotank coil is larger than the standard evod coil, but it fits in the evod coil as a replacement)
Although this allows much better airflow, it reduces taste a lot, (for me), so I stick to the standard evod coil pin.
The aerotank is a dual coil and the evod single, so full on aerotank airflow for the evod is too much.

In standard form, the iStick does have a much better airflow for skirted, (ego cone threaded) tanks, however for 510 threaded "side air entry" tanks like the Nautilus or the Aerotank mega, the post of the power supplying device will have no effect, no matter it's shape or size.

And finally, there is nothing wrong with the iStick, the iStick + Nauti Mini is a brilliant starter combo for any newbie.
I was a die hard aerotank fan, disappointed with the hype around the original Nautilus, (it was over hyped rubbish, in my opinion) and I thought the mini would be the same. But once I tested the mini with the new BVC coil, I grudgingly had to admit that it produced better flavour than my aerotank's :eek:

The best devices are ,the ones that work for you, use other peoples opinions as starting points and work from there, until you find the device that works best for you. It's a journey, enjoy it.

Wow - many thanks for this @Arctus
I am totally amazed that the MVP does not use Pulse Width Modulation - I can't believe I missed that - thanks for showing Busardo's video. His scope clearly shows a straight line - much like a DC signal.

Maybe that's why it feels different to the iStick for me.

What I also learnt from the video is that the MVP2 is well suited to the 2 ohm coils. So my EVOD stock 1.8 ohm coils are probably perfect - they measure around 2 ohms anyway.

What really is amazing though is that Busardo ends up giving it a thumbs down - yet I think it is an amazing device.
This shows just how subjective this all is and how our preferences can be so different.
Also shows that one can do all the reading and research - but the proof is in the pudding - when you've tried it yourself!

I was rather shocked at the thumbs down myself. but then again I watched his review of the IVP v2 and the one he had was shocking to say the least. Lucky for me, I haven't seen any of the defects he pointed out.

I sometimes wonder if these guys are given trial or demo units to review.

@Silver have a look at the MVP 20w if like the size of the MVP 2.

Many thanks @yuganp

I like this upgraded version to 20Watts - gives a bit more versatility. Would then be nice to be able to power the Nautilus Mini at say 12 or 13 Watts.

The MVP is such a winner though - am glad they changed nothing else.
- amazing battery life
- rugged as can be
- and I actually like the fire button position and the firm press (2 pounds of pressure according to Busardo)

Coming from a noob vaper that never owned an MVP I must say that I absolutely love the iStick. Form factor, power and battery are all perfect for me. I have migrated from an evod and vision spinner2 and am very happy with the quality of vapour produced by the iStick. I have been using it with the evod2 and mpt3 tanks thus far.

Coming from a noob vaper that never owned an MVP I must say that I absolutely love the iStick. Form factor, power and battery are all perfect for me. I have migrated from an evod and vision spinner2 and am very happy with the quality of vapour produced by the iStick. I have been using it with the evod2 and mpt3 tanks thus far.

I never had one either. I suspect the MVP is one of those devices that doesn't look as good on paper (compared to newer devices) but really shines in active use. Have only really heard great things about it. It almost makes me sad that I never got one - might have to pick one up if I see it in a classified, just to have it :D

Well the stars are in your favour @free3dom. One just popped up in the Classifieds.

It's in your destiny

I saw that and I'll keep a watchful eye...it's just the wrong timing - with so much new stuff incoming in the next few weeks I'm already tapped out for the near future :)

If that one is still around in a month or so (probably not) then I'll be all over it ;)

Luckily, there are quite a few of them in use, and as the newer stuff pops up some will upgrade and get rid of more MVPs :D

Back