MVP vs iStick (on Evod1)

I saw that and I'll keep a watchful eye...it's just the wrong timing - with so much new stuff incoming in the next few weeks I'm already tapped out for the near future :)

If that one is still around in a month or so (probably not) then I'll be all over it ;)

Luckily, there are quite a few of them in use, and as the newer stuff pops up some will upgrade and get rid of more MVPs :D

@free3dom - there are several reasons why I think the MVP is brilliant.

Dare I say, it's like the Reo of electronic mods.

Durability
This thing is built like a tank. I have dropped mine several times from standing height onto a hard tiled floor. Not one problem. I love the hard press of the fire button. (2 pounds of pressure according to PBusardo). It's not fiddly.

Design
While it may look like a brick - it fits my hand perfectly. The fire button magically sits under the side of my thumb when holding it. And it's the perfect size for a hand hold device. I really think the iStick is way too small to be comfortable.

Performance
As I have noted a few times, the MVP fires things differently to other electronic mods I have. It just feels better when its firing. As I recently discovered, thanks to @Arctus, it puts out a flat DC type signal. It's not a PWM device. Maybe this is why I like it. But it fires so nicely.

Battery life
Amazing, amazing, amazing. When used on a Clearo at around 7-8 Watts, the battery lasts for a long time. I get about 5 tanks of a 1.5ml Evod1. So that spans a few days. The MVP is quite a beast in that regard. And it doesnt get weaker as the battery drains. When the light goes Orange near to the end, it still fires with the same power. I get about 800 to 1,000 puffs. The puff counter acts like a battery meter ;-) I only reset it when I recharge it.

The major limitation of the MVP2 is its 11 Watt power limit. I would say that its probably going to be far better to get the 20 Watt upgraded version. I just hope the electronics have not been changed and the feel of the power is the same. If so, then that will be a winner device for most of the good Clearos and tanks - in my view. For example, my Nautilus Mini likes about 12 to 14 Watts - so its a bit too much for the MVP. Otherwise I would use it for all these sorts of applications.

This is a real "hall of fame" product. Not one problem since I got mine about 9 months ago - in daily use - and still going strong.

EDIT - I forgot one last point - I recommend the black. In my view it looks and feels better than the silver.

@Silver it is a true classic it seems. As such I'm reluctant to go with the upgraded one (in case they changed it too much) and will probably just pick up a 11W used one just to have it - I still have a few old Kanger clearo's around which will work pretty well on the old one.

I missed the window where this device was new and exciting, but viewing it as a dependable classic makes it something very worthwile to acquire and keep - even if it is rarely used.

I'm very reluctant to sell my old gear for nostalgic purposes - even though it's only been a few months of vaping I already look at them as special little things that got me where I am and even if I never use them, I'd like to still have them 10 years down the line :D

My point of view on the 11w cap and this is wear my OCD comes in. If you stick a larger tank like a rebuildable on the MVP it just looks wrong like its got an STD or something, the smaller tanks looks much better on it. and to be honest here neither the Nautilus or the kanger can really go past 11w and be chain vapable. I personally have the kanger protank 3 on top of the MVP and it vapes best at 7 - 9 watt. so for what I use it for... it is actually a little over powered but that's just me.

My point of view on the 11w cap and this is wear my OCD comes in. If you stick a larger tank like a rebuildable on the MVP it just looks wrong like its got an STD or something, the smaller tanks looks much better on it. and to be honest here neither the Nautilus or the kanger can really go past 11w and be chain vapable. I personally have the kanger protank 3 on top of the MVP and it vapes best at 7 - 9 watt. so for what I use it for... it is actually a little over powered but that's just me.

Haha, you think it's overpowered now...have a looky here ;)

yip was looking at that now... kinda made my point seem, well dumb :rofl:

I have mine on the Istick and at 15watt i tend to notice allot of dry hits when you chain vape her. But then again maybe I am just doing it wrong :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have mine on the Istick and at 15watt i tend to notice allot of dry hits when you chain vape her. But then again maybe I am just doing it wrong :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Haha, well 15W on the iStick is around 16-18W on "normal" devices :eek: So probably not ideal for chain vaping ;)

I also have both the MVP 2 and the iStick but tend to stick to much lower power ranges. On the MVP I set it to 8W, as the Nautilus mini produces more than enough vapor and flavour at this power. When I swap it over to the iStick, I set it down to 5.5W, which is roughly the same vape for me.
I normally do mouth-to-lung, but in traffic I tend to lung hit using longer draws on the Nauti mini. Sometimes I 'carve' it - Grimmgreen's terminology for inhaling partially by bypassing the atty - but I mostly inhale directly through the atty despite the mini's restricted airflow.
On the Evod I & II this would be virtually impossible without drilling it out, but the airflow allowed via the base of the coils would still seriously restrict you.

The MVP is quiet due to the almost direct DC output, but sometimes you can hear a slight buzz from the BVC coil on the iStick due to the Pulse Width modulation. I also assume the coil burns much hotter via the iStick due to the rapid switching on & off of the signal at almost max volage of 5.5v, and does not rapidly cool down during the 0v drop of the PWM duty cycle, so retains & build up more heat during longer lung hits.
I'll sometimes get a slight burnt taste from some of the juices even at 6 - 7W on the iStick & mAN, so I honestly dunno how some of you can run this combo at higher wattages. Likely high PG juices, or just short mouth-to-lung hits ?

One thing I can say about the MVP is that even with much higher powered mods in my arsenal, none of them really match the MVP's battery life when used at my preferred 'low' power setting. It will likely remain one of the devices in my daily rotation until the day it dies & I cannot resurrect it again. It handles life's little knocks and my (sometimes) clumsy abuse without missing a beat.

Despite the variety of tanks I have now and the other snazzy tanks coming out, I think the EVOD filled with Melinda's Frostbite or Vape King's Menthol will also remain in my daily rotation every day. That usually stays on a Twisp battery or my Magneto in 18350 mode as it provides a seriously strong menthol hit - I'd hate to try it at high power as I might just lose my spleen during a menthol-induced coughing fit.

IMO both the MVP and the EVOD are highly underrated and needlessly scoffed at these days. In my books they still kick the ass of many of the 'high-tech' devices released recently which still disappoints in terms of reliability and what they 'say' they can do vs. what they actually deliver.

Just my 2c..

MVP2 and Evod1 - a reliable simple winning combo for mouth to lung hassle free vaping ;-)
With 18mg of course and a menthol/minty juice to give a bit more kick

Sorry @Raslin , missed your post
@BumbleBee is right

Its the Evod1 which is a single coil device and Yes, i use the 1.8 ohm stock Kanger coils
Getting a bit worried actually, these are looking a bit scarce these days. Lol

Sorry @Raslin , missed your post
@BumbleBee is right

Its the Evod1 which is a single coil device and Yes, i use the 1.8 ohm stock Kanger coils
Getting a bit worried actually, these are looking a bit scarce these days. Lol
Looks like you might have to spend a bit of time rebuilding the used ones, you've been saving them, right?

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I can see that only one vendor stocking these, so guess @BumbleBee is correct, save the coil and start rebuilding.

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I can see that only one vendor stocking these, so guess @BumbleBee is correct, save the coil and start rebuilding.

Thanks @Raslin - which vendor may that be? Will help me

Incidentally. @BumbleBee , i am indeed saving all my old coils, they go into a used coil "compartment". Lol
I used to rebuild these coils quite a lot in the days of my mPT2. But after moving to the rebuildables and then recommissioning the Evod I didnt feel like it, so used the stock coils again. Looks like I may need to rebuild these again sometime. Will be fun.

Thanks @Raslin - which vendor may that be? Will help me

Incidentally. @BumbleBee , i am indeed saving all my old coils, they go into a used coil "compartment". Lol
I used to rebuild these coils quite a lot in the days of my mPT2. But after moving to the rebuildables and then recommissioning the Evod I didnt feel like it, so used the stock coils again. Looks like I may need to rebuild these again sometime. Will be fun.

I haven't seen them locally either in a while...might be a good time to get a fasttech order going ;)

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...cement-coil-heads-for-evod-clearomizer-5-pack

It is even cheaper if you buy 5+ packs :D

Forgot to add, while I can rebuild these coils, it removes the simplicity of using it
You have to tweak it and prod it to make sure no leaks. Etc etc
I just like replacing the coil and i am good to go
I dont vape it that much. Early mornings and evenings before bed and maybe occasionally while focusing hard on work on the computer. So 1 coil lasts a long time.

@Silver, I see vapeking has them in stock. I agree that using the stock coil is the ultimate in convenience. So lets hope they keep stocks up.

Back