Newbie wanting to mix

Recipes only provide a guide. More experienced mixers will often know, just by looking at a recipe, whether it suits their palate or not. I know many mixers who only take the recipe as a template and then tweak it. For example, Jenn Jarvis is a super-taster so her recipes are exceptionally lightly flavoured. Many mixers automatically double her percentages to get a juice that is closer to their palate. Things like sweetener are also palate-specific. Wayne likes a lot of sweetener, I don't. So I'll usually reduce the amount of sweetener in his recipes.

If you want to add more, I would mix up the recipe as is first. If the flavour balance is wrong, adjust to taste. But at least try the original first. What you also need to remember is that many concentrates have off-notes or attributes which only become apparent at a particular percentage. The recipe creator may have pushed the flavour as far as possible already. If you up the percentage without knowing the flavour, you could make it perfumey/bitter/cloying/floral/chalky. Increasing the percentage doesn't just increase the flavour strength. It can change the flavour and how it interacts with other flavours dramatically.

You can test the juice straight after mixing to see how it is. But then I'd give it a proper steep. You can also taste at various points during the steep. So if it calls for a two-week steep, you can taste it fresh, after 3 days, after one week, after ten days, and then again at two weeks. This will give you a good idea how it changes as it steeps.

Upping all the flavours by 1% might actually result in you getting less flavour from the juice. A large number of flavours mute other flavours. If a recipe calls for 0.25% Ethyl Maltol and you increase to 1.25%, you will wonder where all your flavour suddenly went. Rather look at it as a ratio thing. Increasing Strawberry Ripe from 6% to 7% is a lot different from increasing Flv Rich Cinnamon from 0.1% to 1.1%. One is increasing the flavour ratio by about 16%, the other by about 1000%. So rather increase proportionally, like increasing each flavour by 10% or 20% of what it was. So increase a flavour from 5% to 6%, but only increase a 1% flavour to 1.2%. That way, you're increasing the flavour components proportionately.

@RichJB thank you so much, you have explained this clearly and answered all my questions. It is much appreciated.

I will dive into this and see what happens. Will keep you updated though I will only start next week when I'm on leave :D

haCid

Good afternoon everyone,
Started vaping about a month ago.
Just want to say, after reading this thread, the community on here is awesome!

Would just like to ask a question or 2, I want to try my hand at self mixing, I would like advise on the following if possible;

I quit smoking after 14 years and took up vaping same day (bout a month ago), I have a problem where I do not taste everything as clearly as with menthol / cool flavors, especially the Opus Sonic one.

When you are mixing your juice, I would like to follow the recipe spot on, but, when will it be OK if I would like to add say another 1% of strawberry or vanilla?
- Does this only happen after the steep time passed?
- Not sure when to test, do you only test the juice after the steep time?
- Can I up all the flavors by say 1% for more taste? Or will this just turn out bad?

Bit of a newby here still :p

Hope someone can help on this :)

haCid
Basically I would say do not change anything on the recipe for now. Adding 1% of strawberry or 1% of vanilla can result in the recipe changing a great deal.

But do not let this get you down. As your experience with flavour concentrates grow and your taste buds and gear improve with time you will start to taste better and you will have a better understanding of the flavours and know wich ones you can increase etc. For instanse in a recipe like strawberry fog:
10% tfa strawberry ripe
5% tfa cheesecake Graham crust
2% tfa vanilla custard
3% tfa Bavarian cream
Now I feel that I can't taste the vanilla custard and bump it up by 1% and unfortunately now I can only taste vanilla custard.

On a second note what makes diy fun is that you can make changes and add that extra 1% if you want but I would make a small 10ml batch to test this first.

Testing takes place from the beginning after a mix I test a little bit in a rda and then putt it away for a steep and then test it periodically ever second day or every day and once I find the place where it tastes awesome I note it and know for the next mix 3days will do.

Hope you get into this rabbit hole of a mixing your own juice its really alot of fun and not all mixes will turn out vapeable but when they do they are amazing and its hand crafted.

Want to say a big thank you to everyone's help and suggestions and making this a bit easier,
made my first batch of Grape & Dragonfruit and a batch of Strawberry Cheesecake.
Busy steeping them now.

Will update on the taste after a few days as the Grape & Dragonfruit still tastes a bit dull (recipe asked for 2 days steeping).

Kind regards
haCid

Sorry to hijack this thread, just a quick question to the pros, I made a few mixes yesterday and they tasted wonderful! Followed recipes given on this forum, I then warmbathed the juices shook them up and left for steeping, when sampling them today the juices seem to have lost some substance, flavours are there but much weaker than yesterday, is this normal?

Sorry to hijack this thread, just a quick question to the pros, I made a few mixes yesterday and they tasted wonderful! Followed recipes given on this forum, I then warmbathed the juices shook them up and left for steeping, when sampling them today the juices seem to have lost some substance, flavours are there but much weaker than yesterday, is this normal?

I don't consider myself a pro lol but this is normal. What recipes did you make? Some mixes I have found change for the better after 24h others not so much but pick up at the three day mark again.

I don't consider myself a pro lol but this is normal. What recipes did you make? Some mixes I have found change for the better after 24h others not so much but pick up at the three day mark again.
I made simple cookie, loaded cranapple clone which was spot on day 1, shyndos d cream... all amazing on day one and now just so bland

I made simple cookie, loaded cranapple clone which was spot on day 1, shyndos d cream... all amazing on day one and now just so bland
Could be your taste buds - I get those off days from time to time. Everything tastes either to sweet or muted.

Simple sugar cookie I know needs some time to develop those custard and cookie notes. Shyndos d cream I made a variation last night of that will give it a go tonight. But it will benifit from a 2 week steep for that vbic to develop. The cranapple should be good still.

Agree with the taste bud thing as well. And something else some clean wicks might help as well.
Some other things to consider did you breathe the mixes? Don't this can lead to some flavour los in some mixes.
The hot bath if the bath is too hot it might result in some nic degradation.

THanks for the responses, off to the shops to get some lemons, maybe it is vapers tongue, didn’t bring any shelf juice with me today, will taste some at home and if they are bland then Defs maybe the buds

Awesome thread, quick question is there a guide that explains the different effects a given product provides, for instance, I want to create a Cherry Cola mix, so to me there are 3 parts to this: Cherry, Cola and something to simulate the carbonated sensation [fizz]. Yes a Google search brings up Koolada as an example for the fizz. But a search-able index of flavors vs effects would be great.

PS. the 3 part Cherry Cola is just an example it could be that simple or it could be complicated I know :)

Koolada doesn't provide fizz, only cooling. Nothing really provides fizz as effervescence is the interaction between liquid and gas bubbles and, well, there ain't any liquid in vapour. Gaseous bubbles leave a certain taste on your tongue - the taste of the gas used to make the drink fizzy. Cola concentrates attempt to emulate that taste and get close to it. But effervescence is primarily a tactile sensation and secondarily a taste. Vaping provides only the taste so it's a case of "close but no FA Cuban Supreme".

Well you see, my Google-Fu let me down, if i had decided to create that concoction I would have ended up with a Cherry Cola Menthol / Minty flavor? Bleh...

Not even menthol/mint, Koolada is ostensibly flavourless. Although some report a cardboard taste from it. So maybe a cherry cola in a soggy box.

Koolada doesn't provide fizz, only cooling. Nothing really provides fizz as effervescence is the interaction between liquid and gas bubbles and, well, there ain't any liquid in vapour. Gaseous bubbles leave a certain taste on your tongue - the taste of the gas used to make the drink fizzy. Cola concentrates attempt to emulate that taste and get close to it. But effervescence is primarily a tactile sensation and secondarily a taste. Vaping provides only the taste so it's a case of "close but no FA Cuban Supreme".

@RichJB - I recently tasted a commercial lemonade, and I could have sworn that I tasted a hint of ginger which added a "fizz". Maybe i was imagining it.

Sent by iDad's iPhone

Various flavours are reputed to add fizz, Dazcole said he thinks FA Oba Oba in his Timebomb recipe added an effect "like marshmallow but with some sparkle or fizz". I am skeptical, though. As Wayne says, "You have to use your imagination a lot in vaping." :D

Back