Noob Question: VandyVape Phobia

NOOB

Dedicated Vaper
LV

Awards
Morning all. I recently purchased a VandyVape Pulse 80W regulated Mod with the VandyVape Phobia RDA/RSA. Being somewhat of a noob when it comes to vaping, the friendly gentleman in the shop installed a build and wicked the RDA/RSA for me. This is a 0.15ohm, dual coil build and I have been running it at 50W from the moment I got it. I experienced *AMAZING* flavour with absolute zero throat hit from this set up from the start, however, I recently had to re-wick, which is where everything went down hill. I now get this throat hit when exhaling which I do not like at all. I really enjoy flavour more than throat hits. I have subsequently tried to re-wick a couple of times using different techniques and different cotton thickness, repositioning coils etc. but have not managed to replicate the flavour I got on the initial build. I am still running at 0.15ohm and 50W, using exactly the same juice I had previously, so this is not throat hit due increased nicotine or watts. I am convinced it is due to the wicking, but have no idea how else to wick (I even tried the scottish roll, but this did not fix the issue either).

I have contacted the gentleman at the shop where I bought the device, and he is willing to show me what he did, however, the shop is situated in one of the bigger metro's and I live in a small town about 2 hour's drive away. Ideally I would like to resolve this without the expense of another 2 hour trip.

I am at my whit's end and desperately need some advice.

Thanks in advance...

Are you sure that when you said you burnt the gunk off your coils, you didn't maybe fry your coils and need to make new coils?

Hi @franshorn I have been playing around with the wicking a lot. Definitely seems as though it performs better on a tight wick. I have one or two more ideas that I want to try out as it's not 100% just yet, but WAY better than it was when I originally posted this.

@Gimli not to my knowledge no. I am still rocking the same coils I had in when the issue started, but like I said above, with a tighter wick it seems to be behaving a lot better.

Will post some pics and explain what I did when I've tried out the other ideas.

Thanks guys. ;-)

Alright friends, as promised....

I cut roughly 20mm strips of cotton.

I then roll these strips between my fingers until they form rolls of cotton (see pic 2 and 3). These rolls are fairly loose.

I then roll one end tightly and insert into the coil (3mm ID). They go through tight, but not to the extent where one would need to hold the coil in place.

I snip the tails in line with the o-ring on the outside of the RDA and fluff them up. I do not thin the tails out at all. I just fluff them up. Then just tuck and wet the cotton with your favorite juice.

No gurgelling, no spit back, no dry hits and flavour for days. I also get about 10 to 12 hits off a single squonk, so that's a bonus.

Conventional wisdom (and most of the advice available on the interwebs) suggests that one should not wick as tightly as I do, but ever since adopting this wicking method I have absolutely no issues with this RDA.

I hope this helps. Have a great day all!
290280dbbf948b0d16ab1dced694ed41.jpg
85daa1a8bc9ec574a74c8c664d2fc412.jpg
e3677602d03b2d7d99529451f9099040.jpg
cfcd569d6d6a78254e8ed203ed38ba85.jpg
d38d2393f46a4b13f5c276acb5a96988.jpg
57d88974ac7b5640d3b9876a2659dc3d.jpg
880501b21627eb965e5e8ce7b814ee03.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Oh, P.S. Dont drop your acrylic drip tips whilst working on your RDA's or RTA's. Apparently they can break.

Suppose I'll have to place an order for a new one. Vape Mail baby, whooohooo!
cf296b58942503b45f7b067d9aca2dad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back