Ohm Differences In Coils?

This is rather confusing to me too, why can't the MVP buck the voltage down? Its a VV device no?

Maybe I can take a stap at it.

A thing to note, the minimum voltage that the MVP will fire is 3.3V (I stand under correction but IIRC then this is the case with both the MVP and SVD).

If using a 1.2ohm coil at 8 Watts the voltage required will be 3.1V which is too low for the MVP to fire. In order to be at 3.3V the wattage would need to be at 9watts. Thus the lowest you can dial it down is 9watts with a 1.2ohm coil.

Hope that helps

In the specs of the MVP it should state what is maximum output current in Amps? once we've got that then we can calculate if 1.2 or 1.5 is best. (2 things fixed (current and power [W]) and easy calculation according to Ohms law).

I think 1.2 Ohms should do it:

If V3.3 then @ 1.2 Ω = 2.75A = 9.075W
If 3.3V then @ 1.5 Ω = 2.2A = 7.26W

Both resistances within 11W (but don't know if the MVP limits the current to ? Amps)

Yes I think @phanatik does not want to lose the lower wattage options and he is correct Innokin pens it at 3 amps.

If the MVP limits current to maximum 3A then

@ 1.2 Ω → V=3.6V and power = 10.8W
@ 1.5 Ω → V=4.5V and power = 13.5W which can't be obtained due to the 11W limitation

i'm hoping to get a bit power power for the thicker VG juices and the more complex flavours that I want to explore, but be able to dial it down for a mindless vape reminiscent of an infant sucking on their thumb when gaming away... apologies if the analogy was a bit too much for this forum, but I did not say suckling on a mother's teat, as was used on another thread :D

I don't know the MVP, but what is the lowest voltage you can dial it down to, then we can calculate minimum obtainable power with different coil resistance values?

Ok so ± minimum power (W) obtainable with various coils at lowest voltage being 3.3V:

1.2Ω = 9W
1.5Ω = 7W
1.8Ω = 6W
2.0Ω = 5W

Ok so ± minimum power (W) obtainable with various coils at lowest voltage being 3.3V:

1.2Ω = 9W
1.5Ω = 7W
1.8Ω = 6W
2.0Ω = 5W

Ah, came to the same anwer, and in line with what @BhavZ said above.
So, if I am correct, the 1.8 ohms coil will allow you to use the full power range down to 6W. With the 1.2 ohms coil, you cannot go lower than 9W.
Thus to answer @phanatik's original question, seems to me his habits would prefer a 1.5 ohm coil.

Having a variable wattage device can be a bit confusing. In a nutshell it can only adjust the wattage within its rated Voltage/Amperage AND wattage range.

I'll illustrate with the Innokin VTR which is rated 6V and 5A but only 15W.

At maximum power setting 15 watts with a 1.2Ohm coil the voltage will adjust to 4.2V which is 3.5A, within spec.
The lowest power it can reach is 7.5watts with a 1.2Ohm since the lowest voltage it can reach is 3V which equates to 2.5A.

An easy way to calculate what your device can do is to look at Ohms law calculator and edit ohm value and click on 'Lock resistance' . Play with the voltage and amperage within the specification of your device and see what wattage you will achieve.

Yes, what you guys said. The MVP can't go lower than 3.3volts, so it limits your lower setting with a 1.2ohm coil

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

If I am not mistaken all electronic mods are set to a lowest of 3.3v and maximum of 5v for non stacked mods

Sent from deep within a vape cloud

Ok, on the assumption of lowest voltage also of 3V, then on the Sigelei 20W you can go down to 7.5W, which seems quite reasonable?

If I am not mistaken all electronic mods are set to a lowest of 3.3v and maximum of 5v for non stacked mods
Sent from deep within a vape cloud

Don't think so .. 3V- 6V on a VTR, done some experiments at the lower voltages and it definitely puts out at 3.1V if dialed to 3.1V. Of course this a 'modulated', I think is the word, voltage which some mod's electonics do better than others...

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
So @soonkia, quiz time: What can a 20W Sigelei do with a 1.2 Ohm coil .. :p
Same lower limitation as the MVP. The sx350 chip is the first chip I know of that can take the voltage lower.

But, the upper limit kicks the MVP on its ass.

Oh, no, wait, I can't take it above 12watts. The protank can't handle it - I still don't like the taste of burnt rubber.

It's like driving a Ferrari in peak hour traffic.

And it's another two weeks before I get my Russian... Then it's me, the Sigelei and the Russian at 20watts...yeah baby

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Back