Ohm Differences In Coils?

phanatik

Danman100
LV

Awards
Hi All,

I am looking to get myself some mPT3's and coils to go with it.
I see that there are 1.5ohm and 2.0ohm coils available?

What's the difference between the two?
I know it probably has something to do with the voltage and wattage on your battery but can someone but it in noob terms for me?

lower ohm coils generally give more flavor and vapor production, in my opinion

From my research, lower coils are supposedly warmer at the same wattage.

However lower coils are easier to get more watts out of. To get 10W out of a 1ohm coil you need just 3.16v, to get it out of a 2ohm coil you need 4.47V

Was wondering the same thing. The protank mini i ordered has 1.5 ohm, but the replacement coils are 2 ohm.

From my research, lower coils are supposedly warmer at the same wattage.

However lower coils are easier to get more watts out of. To get 10W out of a 1ohm coil you need just 3.16v, to get it out of a 2ohm coil you need 4.47V
As @Mike says. I prefer 1.5 ohm coils.

ok so i f i understand correctly @Mike @Matthee @Riaz :
I have a MVP. When I use the Wattage setting it will automatically regulate the voltage according to the coil I use whereas if I set the voltage manually I might either under or overpower it.

So 1,5ohm should be better in the MVP when using variable wattage as it will then use a lower voltage and therefore prolong my battery life?

ok so i f i understand correctly @Mike @Matthee @Riaz :
I have a MVP. When I use the Wattage setting it will automatically regulate the voltage according to the coil I use whereas if I set the voltage manually I might either under or overpower it.

So 1,5ohm should be better in the MVP when using variable wattage as it will then use a lower voltage and therefore prolong my battery life?
That sounds spot on to me.

Sadly the battery life thing is a much of a muchness. Power is power, no matter at what volts or ohms or whatever.

If you look at the mPT3, the lowest reasonable voltage is around 3.3v, which is the lower limit of the MVP, you can crank it all the way up to 4.5v. However if you had a 2.5ohm coil for example, you'd need to go all the way up to 4.2v to get the same wattage you'd get from the 1.5ohm coil at 3.3v. To match 4.5v on the 1.5ohm coil, you'd need 5.8v.

It's more of a thing of range of wattage.. If you'd want to really crank it up, a lower ohm coil is better :)

Sadly the battery life thing is a much of a muchness. Power is power, no matter at what volts or ohms or whatever.

If you look at the mPT3, the lowest reasonable voltage is around 3.3v, which is the lower limit of the MVP, you can crank it all the way up to 4.5v. However if you had a 2.5ohm coil for example, you'd need to go all the way up to 4.2v to get the same wattage you'd get from the 1.5ohm coil at 3.3v. To match 4.5v on the 1.5ohm coil, you'd need 5.8v.

It's more of a thing of range of wattage.. If you'd want to really crank it up, a lower ohm coil is better :)
Agree, the 1.5 ohms gives you more choice in the power range. Another thing I have been wondering about - I assume the coils have be more or less the same size, which means they will probably use thicker (less resistance) wire for the 1.5 ohm coils than the 2.0 ohms coils. That could mean longer lasting coils because of the thicker wire?

Brilliant point Matthee. I wonder what the case is!?!

Here's a quick table from Excel

MKW7dNA.gif

Most interesting discussion

I have always wondered what the difference is using different coil resistances at the same power

But there is also the surface area issue to factor in. The higher resistance coil may have more wraps and more vaporising potential at the same heat. But it may also take a bit longer to warm up

ok forumites!
@Matthee @Mike @Riaz

Just to be 100% Clear... the new Kanger Upgraded Dual Bottom Coils are @1.2ohm...
So they should be fine on the MVP, but would it be too much power?
I average between 8.0W and 9.5W on a sub-par tank/coil (iclear 30 with a 2.1ohm coil - standard with the MVP), sometimes 10W.

Would I spoil my ability to dial it down if i need to if the ohms are too low?

hi @phanatik

the mvp is an electronic mod, so you adjust the power to what you want

you wont spoil anything, dont worry

ok forumites!
@Matthee @Mike @Riaz

Just to be 100% Clear... the new Kanger Upgraded Dual Bottom Coils are @1.2ohm...
So they should be fine on the MVP, but would it be too much power?
I average between 8.0W and 9.5W on a sub-par tank/coil (iclear 30 with a 2.1ohm coil - standard with the MVP), sometimes 10W.

Would I spoil my ability to dial it down if i need to if the ohms are too low?
Should not be a problem. Your MVP will not get near the potential of those coils. It takes about 15 Watts to fully use the 1.2 ohms available in that coil, if I can put it that way.

this is the calculations you looking for

mvp is max 11W if im not mistaken?

so at 14.7W is the optimum wattage to power that coil.

but 11 will suffice

If I understand these thing correctly, then yes, you basically lose your ability to dial it down

Basically, for it needs to be able to dial down the Voltage to give you a lower wattage vape on a 1.2Ohm coil - but the MVP doesn't have the circuitry to do that, so it dumps what's in the battery to your coil. The other problem with the MVP is that it has a 3Amp output limit

So, on a 1.2Ohm coil, you're basically looking of vaping at 11Watts and even if your machine reads 7 Watts, you'll probably be vaping at 11Watts

I'm stating this without testing this.

The ideal coil for the MVP really seems to be between 1.7 and 2.2 Ohms - then it is pretty accurate with the Wattage settings

(I need to go watch the PBusardo video again, but if I remember correctly the 2Ohm coil was the only one that really hit the full range on the MVP2)

Some electronic mods do not fire if the resistance of the coil is too low, but I have read on here that the MVP can fire below 1.0 ohms.

I have just ordered 2 mPT3's and a pack of 1.2ohm coils... should i rather cancel and get 1.5ohm's???
:confused::-(:sweating:

Please advise!

If I understand these thing correctly, then yes, you basically lose your ability to dial it down

Basically, for it needs to be able to dial down the Voltage to give you a lower wattage vape on a 1.2Ohm coil - but the MVP doesn't have the circuitry to do that, so it dumps what's in the battery to your coil. The other problem with the MVP is that it has a 3Amp output limit

So, on a 1.2Ohm coil, you're basically looking of vaping at 11Watts and even if your machine reads 7 Watts, you'll probably be vaping at 11Watts

I'm stating this without testing this.

The ideal coil for the MVP really seems to be between 1.7 and 2.2 Ohms - then it is pretty accurate with the Wattage settings

(I need to go watch the PBusardo video again, but if I remember correctly the 2Ohm coil was the only one that really hit the full range on the MVP2)
Thanks, that does make sense to me. Please could you verify with that video or otherwise so we have the proper knowledge to deal with such questions, especially as lower resistance commercial coils now seem to be in fashion.

I have just ordered 2 mPT3's and a pack of 1.2ohm coils... should i rather cancel and get 1.5ohm's???
:confused::-(:sweating:
Yes, at least until we get some clarity for the electronic experts around here, would be my suggestion.

Back