Ohm's Law 101

wait hold on, was he messing about, well ok he was messing about a lot of the time but what i mean is, i was always taught that voltage doesnt matter, its the current ?

wait hold on, was he messing about, well ok he was messing about a lot of the time but what i mean is, i was always taught that voltage doesnt matter, its the current ?

What he said is true.
Remember, current is generated from resistance and voltage.
Voltage divided by resistance is the current.
So there is no such thing as an output of 20amps. 20 amps the the result of a certain voltage over a certain resistance.
it is true that sources are rated in amps, but that is only to indicate the max amps. So you can then calculate the max resistance for that source.

You can take an efest battery rated for 30A in your mech mod, and do a 4 ohm coil, and it will not be near 30A
it will actually only draw about 0.9 amps.

In laymen terms:

The VOLTAGE provides the TICKLE, but the CURRENT does the PENETRATION ;)??

Bwhahahahaha!!!! This is some seriously funny stuff!!!!!! :D

Sorry for derailing the funny part of this thread, but can someone explain why Mech mods don't like normal atomizers such as a Nautilus etc.. ? What difference does it make if I build a 1.5 Ohm coil on a RDA vs using a Normal atomizer also rated at 1.5 Ohm ? It does not make sense ?

Sorry for derailing the funny part of this thread, but can someone explain why Mech mods don't like normal atomizers such as a Nautilus etc.. ?
what do you mean by this?

It was something I picked up reading through the forum. If I remember correctly, someone advised Rob not to use his mechanical mods with his Nautilus...

Doesn't make sense to me either 1.5 Ohm = 1.5 Ohm ?????

i dont see why there should be any issues whether using a mech mod or electronic mod on your tanks.

the main thing is the resistance of the coil and the regulations of the mod in line with that.

ive used my russian with svd and nemesis without any issues- that is the same tank with same coil and everything and literally took it off the one and put it on the other.

the only difference is with the mech mod, the wattage is regulated by the coil, whereas with the electronic mod (svd) the wattage is regulated by you

simply put- with the mech mod, your coil decides what watts you vape (not taking into account the battery, which also plays a role)

I Agree, Riaz... I will see if I can get the topic again because it did not made sense... Use your mechanical mod with a Aerotank etc. no problem !

Sorry for derailing the funny part of this thread, but can someone explain why Mech mods don't like normal atomizers such as a Nautilus etc.. ? What difference does it make if I build a 1.5 Ohm coil on a RDA vs using a Normal atomizer also rated at 1.5 Ohm ? It does not make sense ?

My best guess would be the rubber insulators normally used in the coils for commercial tanks, I've burnt protank insulators with a regulated mod so I would imagine a mech could do some damage.

You may use a mech on a Nautilus no problem but the vape might be lacking.

Standard atties like the Nautilus only go down in resistance to about 1.5 ohms. On a mech that's hitting 11.8 watts, which might be sufficient, but a more common resistance like 2 ohms will only give you 8.8 watts, and that's only on a fully charged battery. The maximum voltage a mech can give is 4.2v

On a regulated mod you can utilize up to 6 volts or 15 watts (whichever comes first) which gives you a much bigger bang. Mechs are best used when vaping from 1.2 ohms downwards.

Classic answer @Reinvanhardt - so well worded!
Makes perfect sense.

And I guess if you try build a low ohm coil on a mPT2 for example, then the argument of burning the rubber seals etc starts to come into play...

Well i built a 1 ohm coil in a pt2, and it worked like a champ. My only issue was that it wicked to slow. Thus if i vape at my normal pace, it burnt the wick. Other than that it worked like a charm.
I've got close to 50 coils due for a rebuilt, so i'm trying what I can to revive them to make the best of it.

Interesting @CraftyZA
I was thinking of doing the same

What was the ID of your custom coil on the pT2? What wick? Cotton?
Was the wicking not fast enough perhaps because it was too narrow and not enough wick?

Back