NB Online etiquette

lol I have the same problem!
Hahaha... i dont think its a problem....
This is the way i see the flip side of your personalities...
Being a direct and forward personality, it should not bug you if others treat you the same, as it should feel normal to you with out being offended.
See, no problem... :giggle:

@Jean claude Vaaldamme I agree fully with @Andre

Being polite is important. Just remember that this is a public platform and your posts are seen by anyone - they can be seen today, tomorrow, next week, next year - and anytime someone searches on Google. So its best to remain polite and respectful towards other members. That leads to a better experience for everyone (including yourself) and it paints you in a good light.

Being polite is not really the topic of this thread though - as per the original post. The idea of the original post was to make the content on the forum readable for all and not just a mish mash of carelessness which makes the poster and the forum look bad

That said, many folk on here don't have English as their first language and some are less careful with grammar, spelling or punctuation. Most of us are very tolerant and try to read into what the message is that is being said.

This thread was just to add a bit of extra etiquette. Not to be confused with the forum rules which call for playing the ball and not the man, ie no personal attacks. If a member here has something rude or nasty to say about someone else here or has been offended, the route to take is to report the offending post and/or report it to one of the Admin/Mod Team and let us try deal with it - instead of retaliating.

Hope that makes sense and helps to understand a bit better.

715vwvP5ZEL.png
Like me. Im Afrikaans and i can like to speak english deliciously

I always remember this direct translation from Afrikaans into English. It is part of a much longer translation which I no longer remember. It was part of a stand-up comedian's act.

In 'n oomblik was ons slaggereed met ons dubbelloop haelgewere.

In an uncle-tin we were slaughter ready with our double walk hail guns.

I always remember this direct translation from Afrikaans into English. It is part of a much longer translation which I no longer remember. It was part of a stand-up comedian's act.

In 'n oomblik was ons slaggereed met ons dubbelloop haelgewere.

In an uncle-tin we were slaughter ready with our double walk hail guns.
Ek en my oom het gaan ystervarke jag, I and my uncle did went hunting some iron pigs, or something in that line. Also cannot remember where it came from, but it had me in stitches every time I read it.

I was a red neck (English) in the army when I entered National Service back in 74 I couldn't speak Afrikaans at all because I was a refugee from Rhodesia and although I spent my high-school years in SA I never caught up with Afrikaans... well that was until I spent a year where everything was in Afrikaans and you learn real quick... the best translation for me was after shooting we had to verklaar (decare) that we didn't have any jumping dust or sharp ammunition in our possession. Geen Springstof of skerp amunessie. <-- Not sure on the Afrikaans spelling!

I was a red neck (English) in the army when I entered National Service back in 74 I couldn't speak Afrikaans at all because I was a refugee from Rhodesia and although I spent my high-school years in SA I never caught up with Afrikaans... well that was until I spent a year where everything was in Afrikaans and you learn real quick... the best translation for me was after shooting we had to verklaar (decare) that we didn't have any jumping dust or sharp ammunition in our possession. Geen Springstof of skerp amunessie. <-- Not sure on the Afrikaans spelling!

Ammunisie - is 'n Anglisisme (an English word adapted into Afrikaans)

No punctuation makes me tired, and too many commas too.
But I am a spelling Nazi.

Years ago there was a writer by the name of Barbara Cartland, that wrote historical romances.
I could never read her books, because all of her female characters stuttered... um.... o... please....
After the first page I was ... breath...less and ... stopped ... reading.... :whew: :notagain:

Guys you need to be more considerate towards people who speak different first languages.
So what if the person makes a spelling mistake, or uses the wrong word.
If I'm Afrikaans, sotho, zulu, why should I be made to seem impolite, or uncouth. My style of writing made fun of.
How many people could be chased of this site permanently, because this topic is under etiquette.
I make a spelling mistake , and I'm rude or impolite.
How can that bother so many people.
There is a whole word of things that could bother you:
Global warming
Child malnutrition
Wars
The fact that sport stars get paid millions, while people have no medication, running water, food.

Pick one and let that bother you rather.
Don't be inconsiderate towards others. This site is usually very welcoming. Till a non English speaking reads this and see what people here really think about them.

Guys you need to be more considerate towards people who speak different first languages.
If I'm Afrikaans, sotho, zulu, why should I be made to seem impolite, or uncouth. My style of writing made fun of.
How many people could be chased of this site permanently, because this topic is under etiquette.
Global warming
Child malnutrition
Wars
The fact that sport stars get paid millions, while people have no medication, running water, food.

Don't be inconsiderate towards others. This site is usually very welcoming. Till a non English speaking reads this and see what people here really think about them.
I agree, the important part is that one gets the message and, if not, ask for clarification or just let it go. On the other hand I did not get the impression the discourse was at all intended to put non English speakers off, it was just a discussion on punctuation and the like, which for me, as a non English speaker, was of help. The flip side of the coin is that non English speakers must also be tolerant.

I agree, the important part is that one gets the message and, if not, ask for clarification or just let it go. On the other hand I did not get the impression the discourse was at all intended to put non English speakers off, it was just a discussion on punctuation and the like, which for me, as a non English speaker, was of help. The flip side of the coin is that non English speakers must also be tolerant.
Interesting point you bring up. That you learn something.
But as an English speaker to put grammar, punctuation under the heading 'online etiquette' means that it's rude, impolite and uncouth.
So for me it really doesn't make sense at all.
I would be very self conscious, and never ask questions if I read this as amongst my first posts, if English wasn't my home language.
I still can't get how it can trouble people.
I can't wrap my mind around that part. Even English speaking people don't speak properly. Maybe the guy never even pass matric. Maybe his way of speaking , with slang and that is different.
So what?
No one gets hurt. He/she isn't doing it on purpose.
Why let it 'get' to you?
I really am curious.
Won't your life be so much easier if you didn't allow petty things to bother you?

I usually make an exception for dyslexics. It's hard enough for them. I have a friend who is dyslexic but tries so hard you'd swear she wasn't.

As for native languages, there are those who actually spell better in English. When I was 19, an afrikaans school girl and I made a deal. We'd write to each other and correct our mistakes together - she taught me a bit of afrikaans and she aced her English exams as she went to an afrikaans school.

Interesting point you bring up. That you learn something.
But as an English speaker to put grammar, punctuation under the heading 'online etiquette' means that it's rude, impolite and uncouth.
So for me it really doesn't make sense at all.
I would be very self conscious, and never ask questions if I read this as amongst my first posts, if English wasn't my home language.
I still can't get how it can trouble people.
I can't wrap my mind around that part. Even English speaking people don't speak properly. Maybe the guy never even pass matric. Maybe his way of speaking , with slang and that is different.
So what?
No one gets hurt. He/she isn't doing it on purpose.
Why let it 'get' to you?
I really am curious.
Won't your life be so much easier if you didn't allow petty things to bother you?

@Armed I absolutely agree with you and I become rather annoyed if people claim that the "correct" way is the only way. In informal situations it doesn't matter, so long as the meaning is conveyed. Perhaps I'm tolerant because I lived in China and Oman (Middle East), so I'm used to overlooking errors.

The one thing that I do love though are amusing mistakes, as in the And so it was Writ thread. However, one is then laughing at what was said and not at the person. It's not personal. And oh, my word, one can make hilarious mistakes when speaking a second or foreign language lol. I've certainly made my share of them :-D

Thanks Danny... I have always been a cat lover of note but Baby Choo is the most special cat I have ever had (and I have had some awesome cats)... I have never been able to talk to a cat like Choo... she has a vocab I understand and is so attached to me, When I go away on fishing weekends I get a call from my wife to say "Talk to your Cat and calm her down"... she is not happy when I'm away and talking to her on the phone settles her... my fishing mates think I'm a loon of note!

I'm already stressing that I'm going to be away in the USA later this year for a month! :oops:
I completely get it Rob.Smoke and I have that thing between us.Some friends think me crazy but I too stress about the separation thing.

@Jean claude Vaaldamme I agree fully with @Andre

Being polite is important. Just remember that this is a public platform and your posts are seen by anyone - they can be seen today, tomorrow, next week, next year - and anytime someone searches on Google. So its best to remain polite and respectful towards other members. That leads to a better experience for everyone (including yourself) and it paints you in a good light.

Being polite is not really the topic of this thread though - as per the original post. The idea of the original post was to make the content on the forum readable for all and not just a mish mash of carelessness which makes the poster and the forum look bad

That said, many folk on here don't have English as their first language and some are less careful with grammar, spelling or punctuation. Most of us are very tolerant and try to read into what the message is that is being said.

This thread was just to add a bit of extra etiquette. Not to be confused with the forum rules which call for playing the ball and not the man, ie no personal attacks. If a member here has something rude or nasty to say about someone else here or has been offended, the route to take is to report the offending post and/or report it to one of the Admin/Mod Team and let us try deal with it - instead of retaliating.

Hope that makes sense and helps to understand a bit better.

715vwvP5ZEL.png
And also in the realm of forum etiquette one should never no matter how much one disagrees with another's opinion ,use personal insults .I'm far from a shrinking violet but I find this behavior inexcusable.

@Armed I absolutely agree with you and I become rather annoyed if people claim that the "correct" way is the only way. In informal situations it doesn't matter, so long as the meaning is conveyed. Perhaps I'm tolerant because I lived in China and Oman (Middle East), so I'm used to overlooking errors.

The one thing that I do love though are amusing mistakes, as in the And so it was Writ thread. However, one is then laughing at what was said and not at the person. It's not personal. And oh, my word, one can make hilarious mistakes when speaking a second or foreign language lol. I've certainly made my share of them :-D

That reminds me, I was chatting with @RenaldoRheeder yesterday about languages. How Afrikaans and Dutch are similar but different with certain words.

Seeing I'm not a native afrikaaner, it is funny to me how a direct English translation appears. Say hoerskool is high school but in Dutch it's harlequin. Hoer on its own is wh0re.

And the best part is ystervark, directly translated as iron pig.

Global warming
Child malnutrition
Wars

I don't owe anyone good English. Do we clear?

;)

If you are a non English speaker @Andre then my home language is Azerbaijani.

Your command of the English language is higher than that of many 1st language English speakers. If my Afrikaans speaking abilities were half as good as your English, I would be very proud.

It's not about the standard of English on the forum, it's about vaping, and keeping us off the stinkies.

On a personal level, my understanding of Afrikaans (written and spoken) is excellent. My spoken Afrikaans is terrible ( embarrassing ). My written Afrikaans is awful (Natal second language Matric level).

If I were to write a post on an Afrikaans forum and was ridiculed for it, I would be really angry. If however my school level Afrikaans resulted in a humorous mistake, I would like it to be pointed out and would laugh along with the person/people who raised it.

Noone should be made to feel unwelcome or uncomfortable on the forum, particularly because of language or spelling issues.

It's not about the standard of English on the forum, it's about vaping, and keeping us off the stinkies.

On a personal level, my understanding of Afrikaans (written and spoken) is excellent. My spoken Afrikaans is terrible ( embarrassing ). My written Afrikaans is awful (Natal second language Matric level).

If I were to write a post on an Afrikaans forum and was ridiculed for it, I would be really angry. If however my school level Afrikaans resulted in a humorous mistake, I would like it to be pointed out and would laugh along with the person/people who raised it.

Noone should be made to feel unwelcome or uncomfortable on the forum, particularly because of language or spelling issues.
I am reasonable in English :p and goed in Afrikaans. :) Both languages have their own unique intricacies that can be a big hurdle to anyone trying to write something.

If the f-up fairy :monoloco: pays me a visit in either of the languages while writing, I will allways appreciate being assisted in correcting it, but not in a degrading way. :azote: I endeavor to do the same. I sometimes also just keep quiet when you get that feeling that someone wants to play the person and not the ball.

So, I speak English very deliciously, en ek geniet dit so. So please bear with me and live with it.:D

I forgot to mention it but it would take a great deal of courage for me to decide to post on an Afrikaans forum. I would have to have something important or useful or helpful to say. (how is that for clumsy English :))

Its laughable that puntuation, grammar etc is seen as bad etiquette on a forum that is full of swear words like kak, ****, doos etc. Writing undercover words like mofo, f@ck etc make it no different, everyone know what you saying.
Altgough I can swear like a sailor in a private coversation when I know the person who Im talking too..
But on a public forum where you dont know who is going to read your writings? That is so common and you just showing the world your lack of respect, education and upbringing(the grammar prefects can tell me if there is such a word)
And you look like a fool
Your friends that grew up with you on the other side of the railway, may think you are cool/funny, when you drive through the dam with your Hilux, but the rest of the world will think youre a fool.

And no the swear words dont offend me, neither the spelling and commas. But the irony is hillarious

Back