Our Canyon Hike

Andre

Reonaut
VIP
LV

Awards
We shall miss the 15 % discount, but hope you are both back safely and enjoyed the hike.

A la @Christos this thread is for your full reports and pictures! As soon as you have caught up with all the orders.

Calling @drew and @Dinxster

Last edited:
à la : In the style of.

As in, @Andre is making a thread for them to put in pictures and reports as you did for @Silver and his various "experiences".

Kids these days - zero education.
Sorry. I had a long day.
I knew I was not in top form this morning when I was driving. Sombody behind me was hooting and when I looked up all the cars in front of me were gone.
I'm usually the guy that is fully alert and aware while driving.

This is something my wife would do.

Anyways, I am no longer confused.
Yes @drew we want pics and a writeup. :D

Sorry. I had a long day.
I knew I was not in top form this morning when I was driving. Sombody behind me was hooting and when I looked up all the cars in front of me were gone.
I'm usually the guy that is fully alert and aware while driving.

This is something my wife would do.

Anyways, I am no longer confused.
Yes @drew we want pics and a writeup. :D

Man, don't tell me your whole life story, just "thank you Uncle Feliks" will suffice.

Perhaps edit the title @Andre.
"@drew and @Dinxster's canyon hike experience" :D
Last time I checked @Silver's "experience" threads were in the top 5 threads for a week lol!

I think I should be off to bed as I have been up since 5 am and junior is scheduled for a "rise and make noise and possibly jump on dad" session at 2am.

Thanks @Andre - More than happy to share a slice of our epic trek with the community!
Boy oh boy did we experience Fish River Canyon! What an absolute adventure:aaaaa:

6 Days, 8 hikers, 90 kilometres, and one heck of a soul-nourishing journey. Boulder-hopping, sand-tackling, rock-wrangling. Sleeping under the night's dazzling, star-studded sky... tentless. Trying to get some shut-eye to the sound of wild cats calling from the canyon-walls. Waking up to something thrashing around in the river :O. 5 am morning starts. Coffee. No blisters, no rain, no signal. A boomslang, scorpion, couple of wild horses, bokkies and a dead zebra. Bonding around campfires. Soaking aching muscles in natural hot springs. Working as a team to help those struggling with backpack weight. Communicating and exercising compassion. Dancing the final stretch over the 90 km mark, away from water-sanitising chlorine tablets, and straight into the arms of ice-cold beer :b1:. Soul-food I tell you. Soul-nourishing food.

If anyone else in the community is planning on hiking the Fish River Canyon, please feel free to pop me a mail - I'd be stoked to share a few helpful nuggets of info we learned along the way.

Dalene xxx

Fish River Canyon Adventure.jpg

Thanks @Andre - More than happy to share a slice of our epic trek with the community!
Boy oh boy did we experience Fish River Canyon! What an absolute adventure:aaaaa:

6 Days, 8 hikers, 90 kilometres, and one heck of a soul-nourishing journey. Boulder-hopping, sand-tackling, rock-wrangling. Sleeping under the night's dazzling, star-studded sky... tentless. Trying to get some shut-eye to the sound of wild cats calling from the canyon-walls. Waking up to something thrashing around in the river :O. 5 am morning starts. Coffee. No blisters, no rain, no signal. A boomslang, scorpion, couple of wild horses, bokkies and a dead zebra. Bonding around campfires. Soaking aching muscles in natural hot springs. Working as a team to help those struggling with backpack weight. Communicating and exercising compassion. Dancing the final stretch over the 90 km mark, away from water-sanitising chlorine tablets, and straight into the arms of ice-cold beer :b1:. Soul-food I tell you. Soul-nourishing food.

If anyone else in the community is planning on hiking the Fish River Canyon, please feel free to pop me a mail - I'd be stoked to share a few helpful nuggets of info we learned along the way.

Dalene xxx

View attachment 97123
Wow! That sounds amazing!!! Very jealous, what an amazing opportunity!

Oh wow, only saw this now
What a great writeup and lovely photos @Dinxster
Thanks!

If I may ask, what vaping devices did you take and how did it go?
Did you take spare batteries or use the solar charger?

@Silver

I went with the iStick Pico, Melo III tank. I originally planned on 6x 18650's but after a trial run before we left I realised I would need to double up to make it through and ended up taking 12x weighing in at 600g. We crossed the finish line on 18650 number 11 so it worked out pretty well.

The mod did end up, drip tip first, in the sand a couple times, on any other day it would have been a major upset but out there sand is literally in and on absolutely everything so I wasn't all that bothered. A quick rinse of the drip tip and top piece of the tank in the river did the trick and we marched on.

Other vapers on the trip used a combo of power banks and solar and after seeing the issues with dodgy cables and the inconsistency of solar, I'm glad I went the route I did.

So all in all the iStick and Melo did me well on the hike but I must admit I was very happy to be reunited with my RX3 and Smok TFV8 Baby Beast that was waiting for me back at camp.

@Silver

I went with the iStick Pico, Melo III tank. I originally planned on 6x 18650's but after a trial run before we left I realised I would need to double up to make it through and ended up taking 12x weighing in at 600g. We crossed the finish line on 18650 number 11 so it worked out pretty well.

The mod did end up, drip tip first, in the sand a couple times, on any other day it would have been a major upset but out there sand is literally in and on absolutely everything so I wasn't all that bothered. A quick rinse of the drip tip and top piece of the tank in the river did the trick and we marched on.

Other vapers on the trip used a combo of power banks and solar and after seeing the issues with dodgy cables and the inconsistency of solar, I'm glad I went the route I did.

So all in all the iStick and Melo did me well on the hike but I must admit I was very happy to be reunited with my RX3 and Smok TFV8 Baby Beast that was waiting for me back at camp.

Oh wow - that is fabulous
Thanks @drew
I love stories like this - about how vape gear fared out in the field - especially in pretty harsh conditions.

Big salute to the Pico/Melo then. Super little combo there!
11 batteries - wow - glad it all worked out okay

Back