Power backup for load shedding?

TylerD

Power to the Users
VIP
LV

Awards
Hi guys, anyone make use of backup power when load shedding strikes?

What kind do you use? Generator or Battery?

I need to get something and I have no idea which way to go.

i have a server that runs at home for my CTWUG and other downloads which is just connected to a ups so that there is a smart process in place to shut the machine off when power goes due to eskom. other than that im powerless when the lights go out

I invested in two UPS/Inverter battery systems. A basic 12v 600w UPS for my garage doors, gates and outside lighting and a 24v 1100w sine wave UPS for my TV, decoders, home theatre and internal lights. For cooking there is the trusty webber on the patio and a gass burner for boiling water etc. The two UPS/inverters and 3 batteries set me back R9k.

I invested in two UPS/Inverter battery systems. A basic 12v 600w UPS for my garage doors, gates and outside lighting and a 24v 1100w sine wave UPS for my TV, decoders, home theatre and internal lights. For cooking there is the trusty webber on the patio and a gass burner for boiling water etc. The two UPS/inverters and 3 batteries set me back R9k.
For how long can the system run before it needs to be charged again?

I am beyond gatvol with this feckin load shedding shite!, thank God I'm not here during Feb when a big part of Koeberg shuts down for compulsary maintenance and SA short of another 900MW.

via Tapatalk

@TylerD ýou need to calculate whats your load and the capacity of your backup, ie: 600W ups will give you maximum 2h if your load is 300W.

via Tapatalk

I'm screwed when the power goes off. Make sure my laptop is charged and charge my evod battery:giggle:

I think it's time to get a gas stove also because even there sort of in a pickle when lights go out.

For how long can the system run before it needs to be charged again?

My TV set up runs for a tad under 5 hours and the garage set up for 8 hours. Built in battery chargers get the batteries recharged automatically again. I considered the generator option, but unless you buy something really decent, low noise and maintenance friendly I felt the pain not really worth it. Load shedding is usually a max of 4 hours anyway.

Frightening. Shocking. Stupidity. That's in a nutshell what i think about load shedding. Came for years and seems nothing was done. As long as the government mansions are up already. ...

Whom did you buy from? Is your system connected to your power board?

Whom did you buy from? Is your system connected to your power board?

Hi Andre, a fellow bassfishing club member runs his own business http://drensky.co.za/

I opted not to have mine wired in, however a number of my friends have done that and run either their whole or selected parts of their household off it.

Last edited:
My fishing mate is in the power game and he is on his way to my place now to check the loads... I will be getting a system that will power the house (except the stove and geysers) for 4-6 hours. Plus I want to be able to connect my generator to the system if I need to!

More on this later! ;-)

Initial indications are that the system will cost in the region of R25,000! But being as we now live in darkest Africa it would seem I will have to spend the cash! :oops:

Initial indications are that the system will cost in the region of R25,000! But being as we now live in darkest Africa it would seem I will have to spend the cash! :oops:

I assume its the type that integrates with your DB and autostart?

I assume its the type that integrates with your DB and autostart?

100% @johan! 8 Batteries, separate DB the works... plus I will be able to plug in my generator if I need to. It will pretty much drive every thing in the house except the geysers and stove. And when we have a power failure we will switch off everything we don't need... all I need is my PC and the rest of the family needs the TV... Oh and occasionally the kettle! ;-)

Wow, any chance of the folks posting the specs of their systems, the load that it carries and the cost?

Thank you Sir, it will help put the cost vs outputs in perspective for many of us I think.

Rob, as long as you can stay online and charge the 18650 batteries for the Reo, then all is fine ;-)

100% @johan! 8 Batteries, separate DB the works... plus I will be able to plug in my generator if I need to. It will pretty much drive every thing in the house except the geysers and stove. And when we have a power failure we will switch off everything we don't need... all I need is my PC and the rest of the family needs the TV... Oh and occasionally the kettle! ;-)
I'm also keen to see the specs for the setup,or I'm building a big wind generator in the garden and fek the municipality planning regs!

Back