Awake at 1am as I couldn't sleep, I did some research and reading on Ni200 30g wire that was sitting in my vape drawer.

Wrapped 6 turns using two wires together, id homing at 1.47, set my pico mod to temp control and fired the coil. It worked. All this wrapped in cotton and a wee bit difficulty in fitting it in a ec because the wire is quite soft...

I got a lot to learn about wires - this was an interesting experiment.

Then I reverted back to my 0.3 ohm coil for safety's sake.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Awake at 1am as I couldn't sleep, I did some research and reading on Ni200 30g wire that was sitting in my vape drawer.

Wrapped 6 turns using two wires together, id homing at 1.47, set my pico mod to temp control and fired the coil. It worked. All this wrapped in cotton and a wee bit difficulty in fitting it in a ec because the wire is quite soft...

I got a lot to learn about wires - this was an interesting experiment.

Then I reverted back to my 0.3 ohm coil for safety's sake.

@RainstormZA at 1.47Ohm that is a very safe build. The lower the resistance the more the risk.

Regards

@RainstormZA at 1.47Ohm that is a very safe build. The lower the resistance the more the risk.

Regards
Thanks for confirming. However the coil was a bit of a mess, I don't have any spare ec coils to practice without messing up the build and trying to stuff it inside while keeping the build intact.

At first I thought I could do some claptons but realised I would not be able to fit it in with the grommet and metal pin.

What would be the temp control range for nickel? I wasn't too sure, which is why I reverted back to the original coil.

Thanks for confirming. However the coil was a bit of a mess, I don't have any spare ec coils to practice without messing up the build and trying to stuff it inside while keeping the build intact.

At first I thought I could do some claptons but realised I would not be able to fit it in with the grommet and metal pin.

What would be the temp control range for nickel? I wasn't too sure, which is why I reverted back to the original coil.

Nickel (NI200) is in fact the original TC material. It has an impressive increase in resistance as it heats up, making it easy for the mod to measure this increase and work out the coils temperature. Not sure what you mean by the question on temp control range, usually mods allow you to set it between 100 to 300 degrees. Start at a low setting and go up in 10 degree increments until you find your sweet spot. This will differ on coil, atty and juice type but normally in the 170 to 230 degree range. Ok, that is in my experience and is therefore subjective.

Careful working with pure nickel wire (NI200) as I have seen warnings that dry firing it (Pulsing it to glow) causes some Nickel to oxidize and this oxide can pose a health risk. Not to worry with normal use though.

I have some NI200 26AWG wire I bought to experiment with. Very soft wire and it has a very low resistance which as I am a medium Ohm and Watt vaper, not suited for my every day builds.

Not sure if I have linked you to this yet but I found it highly useful on my TC journey: https://www.ecigssa.co.za/guide-to-fine-tuning-temp-control-vaping.t18206/

A bit of a read bit seriously worth it.

Regards

Nickel (NI200) is in fact the original TC material. It has an impressive increase in resistance as it heats up, making it easy for the mod to measure this increase and work out the coils temperature. Not sure what you mean by the question on temp control range, usually mods allow you to set it between 100 to 300 degrees. Start at a low setting and go up in 10 degree increments until you find your sweet spot. This will differ on coil, atty and juice type but normally in the 170 to 230 degree range. Ok, that is in my experience and is therefore subjective.

Careful working with pure nickel wire (NI200) as I have seen warnings that dry firing it (Pulsing it to glow) causes some Nickel to oxidize and this oxide can pose a health risk. Not to worry with normal use though.

I have some NI200 26AWG wire I bought to experiment with. Very soft wire and it has a very low resistance which as I am a medium Ohm and Watt vaper, not suited for my every day builds.

Not sure if I have linked you to this yet but I found it highly useful on my TC journey: https://www.ecigssa.co.za/guide-to-fine-tuning-temp-control-vaping.t18206/

A bit of a read bit seriously worth it.

Regards
Thanks, temp control range as in when you're in tc mode, my options goes from 100*C up to 315*C. Increment increases of 5*C.

45d047f88b39034328949c1de734aa13.jpg

Thanks, temp control range as in when you're in tc mode, my options goes from 100*C up to 315*C. Increment increases of 5*C.

45d047f88b39034328949c1de734aa13.jpg

Just start low and push it up bit by bit until you get the vape you like. There is no right and wrong.

Regards

It's OK, gets pretty hot quickly and personally after testing this, I think I'll go back to wattage mode and use my 0.3 ohm notch coils instead...

Dam these forum members and their clapton coils.

I guess that will be my next step - get an atty that supports dual claptons...

Been doing a lot of reading on Clapton coils and it's been a pretty interesting reading.

I truly want to try them...

So I finally heard back about the Battlestar.

Sadly, they found it faulty as indicated in my note when I returned it to their head office. I was offered a refund or a credit. I asked if they had an option for a replacement, not realising the Battlestars were out of stock.

I got a reply saying that he isn't sure how long I may have to wait for a replacement and then I decided it would be better to get credit as I've had my eye on the SMOANT Cylon for some time now.

So looks like I will be getting the Cylon after all. I just took a look at what was available in the SMOANT range - I saw the SMOANT Charon, it has a touch screen and a lot of nice features. You can even lock the screen. Naaaah. My cellphone gets dirty as it is and I've had some issues with touch screens not doing what I intended it to do (my one game on my cell) - not a big fan of it.

I think I'll stick to the Cylon and see how it goes.

Sooooo while this Autumn special on Vapeking is going wild, I was doing some reading on RBA's and somehow I came across the SMOK Baby Beast TFV8. For some reason, this tank caught my eye and I really like the aesthetics of it.

So can anyone advise me on what I should know about this?

I'm still doing a bit of reading up on building coils so yeah it's gonna take a while to absorb all the knowledge that is out there for noobs like me.

Last edited:
Sooooo while this Autumn special on Vapeking is going wild, I was doing some reading on RBA's and somehow I came across the SMOK Baby Beast TFV8. For some reason, this tank caught my eye and I really like the aesthetics of it.

I'm still doing a bit of reading up on building coils so yeah it's gonna take a while to absorb all the knowledge that is out there for noobs like me.
My personal advice would be to go for a proper RTA, mainly to avoid frustration. The problem with most RBA heads for tanks is that the build deck is often very small and not very easy to work with. I have yet to see one that I would consider as "beginner friendly". I always think along the lines that an RTA was made to have custom builds from the start and this was taken into account in it's design, whereas a tank was made to take pre-made coils and the RBA head was made after the fact.

That being said I'm far from the most experienced bloke here and I'm speaking from personal experiences and opinion.

I agree with @Anvil

rather look at an RTA straight off the bat, building isn't as daunting as you may think @RainstormZA

besides, plenty of help available here

I started off with a Smok X8 and it wasnt even a week after I got a Pico and a Ammit 25. Since then I got 2 Kylin Minis. See if you can get a Kylin Mini. Its really easy to coil and wick and you never get any leaks. I also got me a tool kit so I can play around with coils. Started wrapping coils myself. I still have to play with the different wires. Need to do some reading, but havent had time. I just jump in and if it doesnt work then I go Google it :D

I started off with a Smok X8 and it wasnt even a week after I got a Pico and a Ammit 25. Since then I got 2 Kylin Minis. See if you can get a Kylin Mini. Its really easy to coil and wick and you never get any leaks. I also got me a tool kit so I can play around with coils. Started wrapping coils myself. I still have to play with the different wires. Need to do some reading, but havent had time. I just jump in and if it doesnt work then I go Google it :D
Thanks, @Braki. I already have a eleaf Melo III 2ml and iJust S tank 4ml. I build the EC with 0.3 ohm notch coils and UD cotton.

I'm looking into trying clapton coils so yeah. Just something different from the above two...

Sent from the Netherealms of Hell

, building isn't as daunting as you may think @RainstormZA

I love challenges - I used to build computers for a living.

My parents always try to buy me diy stuff for my birthday or Christmas - assembled a pc table from scratch many years ago. I also did a lot of woodwork and wood turning in my late teens.

So building coils will come easy for me as I have a whole box of tools to use.

Sent from the Netherealms of Hell

Look the Smok RTAs are excellent. BUT the coils are damn expensive, not to mention that 2 out of 5 are duds. As the other guys have commented, go for a RTA.
My personal experience, is go for a Wotofo RTA, they are just so easy to build and wick on

Look the Smok RTAs are excellent. BUT the coils are damn expensive, not to mention that 2 out of 5 are duds. As the other guys have commented, go for a RTA.
My personal experience, is go for a Wotofo RTA, they are just so easy to build and wick on

Thanks @SmokeyJoe. Yeah I've noticed the price of the coils but that isn't going to stop me from building my own - I started with the iJust S, then the Pico and now I've ordered the Smoant Cylon after my faulty Battlestar was returned.

Speaking of Wotofo, I was just looking at it and liking the look very much. I can see there's lots of good RTA's out there so decided not to get the Oppo (sorry @Braki - this one had a review about leaking tanks, no thanks) and continue to do some more research before I decide on one. I've already ordered a sh!tload of 0.3 ohm notch coils and UD cotton for my EC coil building. I'll be honest with you, it's far much cheaper to build my own coils and actually, I enjoy the challenge too. I'm the kind of person that likes to keep my hands busy and I've noticed I'm getting bored with the "too easy" coil building with the notch coils. I need something different.

So far in favour of RTA's, the Ammit 25 and Wotofo is winning me over. I've been eyeing a few OBS RTA's as well.

Thanks @SmokeyJoe. Yeah I've noticed the price of the coils but that isn't going to stop me from building my own - I started with the iJust S, then the Pico and now I've ordered the Smoant Cylon after my faulty Battlestar was returned.

Speaking of Wotofo, I was just looking at it and liking the look very much. I can see there's lots of good RTA's out there so decided not to get the Oppo (sorry @Braki - this one had a review about leaking tanks, no thanks) and continue to do some more research before I decide on one. I've already ordered a sh!tload of 0.3 ohm notch coils and UD cotton for my EC coil building. I'll be honest with you, it's far much cheaper to build my own coils and actually, I enjoy the challenge too. I'm the kind of person that likes to keep my hands busy and I've noticed I'm getting bored with the "too easy" coil building with the notch coils. I need something different.

So far in favour of RTA's, the Ammit 25 and Wotofo is winning me over. I've been eyeing a few OBS RTA's as well.

Just to throw a spanner in the works ... wotofo serpent rdta :D

Back