REO Arc'ing (Sparking)

BhavZ

Reonaut
VIP
LV

Awards
Hi Guys

Quick question, on Night Fury (LP Grand Black Wrinkle) I am getting a bit of sparking.

I have currently a Cylcops on top and my builds are all sub ohm, anything from 0.9ohms down to 0.4ohms dual coil.

I have been running flat top VTC4s and Efest 2500mah and 3100mah.

I read the maintenance sheet that Rob (from Reo) included and tried the whole white eraser and surgical spirits thing (have even tried contact cleaner - Kontact cleaner) with noalox but am still getting sparking. Have noticed that the lower the build the more prominent and frequent the sparking becomes.

Night Fury has been fitted with the gold contacts as well (from the factory).

Before cleaning I had noticed a degrade in the performance and after cleaning performance has improved but still getting sparking.

Any assistance in getting rid of this "issue" would be greatly appreciated

Have you tried applying Noalox to the battery top (after cleaning) and the top of the spring to see if that helps?

Have you tried applying Noalox to the battery top (after cleaning) and the top of the spring to see if that helps?
Thanks Andre, I have tried that and it did help, until the noalox wipes away, so I am inclined to say that it is not a permanent solution.

How often does one need to apply Noalox to all the points?

Thanks Andre, I have tried that and it did help, until the noalox wipes away, so I am inclined to say that it is not a permanent solution.

How often does one need to apply Noalox to all the points?
I apply the noalax atleast once a week

@BhavZ put noalax on your charger points as well

I found that once my batts come from the charger, that's when they start sparking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@BhavZ i had the same thing but two days ago i gave Alexandra a nice ultra sonic bath. I have one of those cheapies for my glasses, and now the spark is gone

@BhavZ go to your local Battery Centre, or any place that replace car batteries. Ask for a bit of Dielectric Grease - they normally apply that to car battery terminals to prevent corrosion. Its more like a grease than the "runny" Noalox. I got some from @Alex and it works a charm.

@BhavZ i had the same thing but two days ago i gave Alexandra a nice ultra sonic bath. I have one of those cheapies for my glasses, and now the spark is gone
Yeah I think I need to give Night Fury some proper tlc with a good soak in soapy bubble bath and see if that helps.

@BhavZ go to your local Battery Centre, or any place that replace car batteries. Ask for a bit of Dielectric Grease - they normally apply that to car battery terminals to prevent corrosion. Its more like a grease than the "runny" Noalox. I got some from @Alex and it works a charm.
Will do so @johan thanks for the tip

Get deoxit gold (amazon). That stuff is potent.

Hi @BhavZ

I also get a bit of sparking on my lower builds

I may be wrong here, but there is nothing really wrong with that. Mine has sparked for a long while and i have not noticed any problems. Dont take my word for it, but i think the odd spark here and there is not a major concern.

Problem i have with the dielectric grease is it gets into the battery top (where the holes are)
Maybe i will try again with it and just put a bit on the firing pin of the Reo

Just remember not to file the gold reo firing pin

Problem i have with the dielectric grease is it gets into the battery top (where the holes are)

I was so tempted to do that then I remembered everyone saying not to do it, luckily I did not do it

You need just a very tiny bit - like a thin film on the surface.

Hi @BhavZ

I also get a bit of sparking on my lower builds

I may be wrong here, but there is nothing really wrong with that. Mine has sparked for a long while and i have not noticed any problems. Dont take my word for it, but i think the odd spark here and there is not a major concern.

That is a problem, because over time it will lead to black carbon deposits on your battery terminal, as well as the Reo contact.

This in turn will result in massive voltage drops, because there isn't a good connection anymore. The dielectric grease only serves one purpose, to exclude air and moisture from the point of electrical contact. Much like a shielded welding rod, or a mig welder.

Otherwise you are in essence creating a mini arc weld, every time you hit that fire button. And getting rid of pitted carbon deposits is really hard work, especially on those small battery terminals.

Even with the gold contacts on the Reo, arcing is going to occur at sub ohm resistances.

Message sent via tapatalk

From what I understand is that yo only apply a thin layer with a qtip. That way it won't get into the battery. You don't need a thick layer.

I've been battling with the carbon build-up on my batteries. If there is some carbon build-up the noalox doesn't help much. I've seen a YouTube video (which i cant find now), where they use a nail sponge to "file" the batt button and works like a charm for me
364efb7ff6788e35d4c9bde2700fda5d.jpg

I've been battling with the carbon build-up on my batteries. If there is some carbon build-up the noalox doesn't help much. I've seen a YouTube video (which i cant find now), where they use a nail sponge to "file" the batt button and works like a charm for me
364efb7ff6788e35d4c9bde2700fda5d.jpg

File off the buildup and then use the noalox.

Message sent via tapatalk

Electrical contact cleaner removes mild carbon build-up. Too much build-up you need to polish out as per @Gonzales 's suggestion, alternatively use Brasso and elbow grease.

Back