Rewicking a Zenith II 0.3 ohm Z coil

blujeenz

Loafing since 2013
LV

Awards
My 0.3 ohm Z coil burnt out after only 900 puffs, bear in mind Im using it at lowly 28 fisher watts and I use refresh often.
Being somewhat disappointed, I decided to pull it apart to see if it could be rewicked.

I used a 10mm spanner to hold the base and wiggled the top cap with a pliers.
zcoil apart.JPG

I used a 40mm x 7mm strip of Muji sheet with both skins peeled. I found it easier to wrap the mesh around a 5mm drill bit, then the cotton wick, before stuffing the whole lot into the cap.
Slide out the drill bit, make sure the mesh isnt touching the side walls and its ready to be assembled.

zcoil cotton insert.JPG

Whole process took about 10min and the flavour is back, still reads 0.33 ohm on the mod as before.

EDIT 23/8/21
After 550 puffs the coil was tasting a bit burnt again, so I took the opportunity to try out the WoToFo SMRTcoil pack.
The "Chill" mesh is virtually the same as the OG Z coil mesh, just the chill mesh had longer legs which I trimmed down to 11mm.
Same as before, 5mm drill bit to insert the mesh and cotton.
smrt coil pack1.JPG

Each of the 10 wads of cotton consist of 5 leaves, I cut it down to 40mm from the original 50mm, 3 leaves were too thick, 2 were just right.

wad.JPG

Checking the finished coil to make sure the mesh end doesnt touch the cap. You'd find out pretty quickly when you put it on a mod, but I erred on the side of caution seeing as I've outgrown flaming surprises.:D
coil1.JPG

I must say the flavour is very close to my Citadel, just a bit lighter on the creams and sweeter.

Update 26/08
One issue that I ran into using the SMRT coils is that the resistance is borderline low at 0.2ohm.
After a day of use, once the coil heats up, the resistance lowers to what the Z80 mod thinks is an atty short, so I trimmed off a row off the top of the mesh to raise the resistance. It now reads 0.24 on the Z80 and the coil short error no longer pops up.

Installing the Zenith on my Vaporesso Gen, it read 0.16 ohms when hot and after the mesh trim it reads 0.3.
coil trim.jpg

Last edited:
My 0.3 ohm Z coil burnt out after only 900 puffs, bear in mind Im using it at lowly 28 fisher watts and I use refresh often.
Being somewhat disappointed, I decided to pull it apart to see if it could be rewicked.

I used a 10mm spanner to hold the base and wiggled the top cap with a pliers.
View attachment 237404

I used a 40mm x 7mm strip of Muji sheet with both skins peeled. I found it easier to wrap the mesh around a 5mm drill bit, then the cotton wick, before stuffing the whole lot into the cap.
Slide out the drill bit, make sure the mesh isnt touching the side walls and its ready to be assembled.

View attachment 237405

Whole process took about 10min and the flavour is back, still reads 0.33 ohm on the mod as before.
Nice.
I also stick everything on the drill bit and push it in the coil housing. It makes it easier.

Updated to include the WoToFo SMRTcoil pack nex mesh CHILL version... bought from Juicy Joes @ R100.
I was reluctant to try the finer "Extreme" mesh as it might generate too much heat in the Zenith.

Back