Silver's first adventure into DIY

@veecee @SinnerG About halfway down he page you can see the seedling trays as per @RichJB post, if anyone finds a source on the West Rand or near, please share location https://www.ecigssa.co.za/what-did-you-mix-today.t34999/page-45 I think this will be a winner.

Thanks @Room Fogger
That was post #1120
Here is the link to that post with the pic of the seedling tray
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/what-did-you-mix-today.t34999/page-45#post-614311

PS - if you click on the #1120 in the bottom right of a post, it puts up a box with the URL to that post

Thanks @rogue zombie , much appreciated!
By the way, your Bruised Berry Ice smells very nice in the bottle! Am thinking thats probably the quickest to vape - ie not as much steeping required compared to the others? Thanks for the tips Sir and i will make notes. I need to try all these cooling types of concentrates to see what I like best.

Ya I reckon it will be good to go in a week.

Final list of 7 juices that were mixed:

1. Mustard Milk - because I believe this is a staple "first DIY" mix - so I think that will be good for my first 10ml one ;-) And its very easy
  2. Blushing Milkmaid by @Ripstorm - because I always wanted to make that given how it was received at the time.
  3. Bruised Berry Ice by @rogue zombie - I know my fruity menthols - so this one will be my first proper DIY fruity menthol. And I know that roguezombie likes some of the juices I like. This one I have to make 20ml because the percentages are so low. Also worried about the Koolada in it because I think I am sensitive to that - but I will go with it to do it exactly as per the recipe.
  4. FA 7 Leaves - which was posted by @Andre - its a very simple tobacco, just one flavour - LOL - so I think I can handle that - and start my understanding of what these flavours taste like.
  5. FA Glory - which was posted by @Greyz - also a simple 1 flavour tobacco - so lets see what Glory is all about
  6. Dawn Spirit by @Andre - just to get to grips with a slightly more involved tobacco. Only 3 flavours and should be ok. Its a menthol tobacco - so I hope I like it.
  7. Camel Lights - added by @Andre on the tobacco thread. I may have made a small mistake here because for 2 of the small percentage concentrates (Burley and Oak), the scale wasnt registering so I just added about 10 drops but I think it may have been too much. That Burley doesnt smell nice - its got that dusty cardboard smell that I recall from years ago on one juice that I didnt like. So lets see how this goes. I may have to redo this.
Has been a great experience and I learnt quite a bit - smelled a lot of concentrates - and am feeling super chuffed. The proof though will be in the pudding.

I can see why the DIY rabbit hole is like the world's biggest cave...
Way to go!
Those scales sometimes have a problem registering small quantities. My recipes are always from heaviest to lightest ingredient. After the last substantial ingredient I go cumulative, which prevents this problem.

Way to go!
Those scales sometimes have a problem registering small quantities. My recipes are always from heaviest to lightest ingredient. After the last substantial ingredient I go cumulative, which prevents this problem.
Nice tip. My scale also does that to me. So I'll definitely try it out.

Mine goes off too quickly too. But I'm assuming this doesn't affect anything.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Way to go!

Thanks @Andre
I will remember this for next time.
I hope Camel Lights comes out as intended - because two of those ingredients I think may have been inaccurate ;-)

Well done @Silver .......and so it starts.

Thanks @GregF
I am just so glad I will be able to take part in some of the awesome tobacco recipes spoken about on the DIY threads. Hopefully mix a few - and in time tweak a few.

By the way, much of the reason I started the DIY is because of all of you guys - that have been posting your delicious sounding recipes in the DIY threads. And all your discussions on them. Major Fomo buildup over about 2 years or more...

Another tip to reads low concentrations is to blow on the scale. Breath has weight and enables small adjustments to be made

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well done @Silver , it's intimidating to take the first plunge but it's very rewarding. It was wonderful reading you play-by-play posts :)

Since I started on the DIY journey, the only juice that I still buy is XXX.

Well done @Silver , it's intimidating to take the first plunge but it's very rewarding. It was wonderful reading you play-by-play posts :)

Since I started on the DIY journey, the only juice that I still buy is XXX.

Thanks so much @JB1987
Its amazing how long we've both been here on the forum and yet there is always something to learn and experience. Quite something

Was chatting to Rob Fisher today and we were discussing the various "rabbit holes" of vaping!

Thanks so much @JB1987
Its amazing how long we've both been here on the forum and yet there is always something to learn and experience. Quite something

Was chatting to Rob Fisher today and we were discussing the various "rabbit holes" of vaping!

I think that's what keeps me vaping @Silver , there is always something new to try. When people ask me why I vape, I respond with: It's my hobby :D

Well done @Silver for mixing up your first batch of DIY goodness and taking us on the journey with you - it was an enjoyable read and I am sure it won't be long before we see some of your own high nic, high menthol 'silver' recipes being posted in the DIY section.

Well done @Silver for mixing up your first batch of DIY goodness and taking us on the journey with you - it was an enjoyable read and I am sure it won't be long before we see some of your own high nic, high menthol 'silver' recipes being posted in the DIY section.

Thanks @Lawrence A , I enjoyed this very much.
And the best part is that it's actually quite easy! One just needs a scale, the concentrates ready - and a bit of concentration...

The proof is still in the pudding though. I haven't started tasting the juices yet. I will post here my findings as I go through them....

Does anyone know what the steep time is for these juices?
I know the tobaccoes are at least a week or two.

But what about Bruised Berry Ice @rogue zombie ? I assume its ready to go now? Been about 2 days so far.

And what about the "classic" - Mustard Milk? Is 2 days enough for that? It does have VBIC in it so maybe that will take longer?

Nic is in. We are on 9.3g

So far so good

905966823c808614ede25c3a6c9636a4.jpg

Bit late, but that 9.30 nic should have been 1.73g nic. Or am I wrong?

Bit late, but that 9.30 nic should have been 1.73g nic. Or am I wrong?

Thanks for the headsup @Vino1718 - and thanks for the concern ;-)
Well spotted

But

I was using cumulative weights for that recipe, so the 9.3g was where I needed to be after adding the nic part.

Loved reading this @Silver !

Your attention to detail and love of lists will make this an extremely time-consuming hobby for you! ;)

And what about the "classic" - Mustard Milk? Is 2 days enough for that? It does have VBIC in it so maybe that will take longer?

Longer, VBIC needs a week or so to settle down. The golden rule with steeping is the longer, the better. There are some exceptions, fruits (especially citrus) that fade. But for things like tobaccos, custards, bakeries, let them sit as long as possible.

If you want some good tobaccos, consider getting into the Flv tobaccos, especially the ones by Fear. I'm not really a tobacco fan but apparently his Abuela and Cardinal are top notch. Even Wayne ranks Abuela highly and he's not really a tobacco guy.

Longer, VBIC needs a week or so to settle down. The golden rule with steeping is the longer, the better. There are some exceptions, fruits (especially citrus) that fade. But for things like tobaccos, custards, bakeries, let them sit as long as possible.

If you want some good tobaccos, consider getting into the Flv tobaccos, especially the ones by Fear. I'm not really a tobacco fan but apparently his Abuela and Cardinal are top notch. Even Wayne ranks Abuela highly and he's not really a tobacco guy.

Thanks @RichJB
I will take note of that and let the Mustard Milk settle for a week - I may just try it sooner just to see what its like so I can try taste the difference.

Thanks for the tips on Flv tobaccoes - checked out his Cardinal and it sounds great. Thanks

Thanks @Lawrence A , I enjoyed this very much.
And the best part is that it's actually quite easy! One just needs a scale, the concentrates ready - and a bit of concentration...

The proof is still in the pudding though. I haven't started tasting the juices yet. I will post here my findings as I go through them....

Does anyone know what the steep time is for these juices?
I know the tobaccoes are at least a week or two.

But what about Bruised Berry Ice @rogue zombie ? I assume its ready to go now? Been about 2 days so far.

Isnt that just the toughest part. The waiting is difficult. The temptation to taste is often too strong!

Isnt that just the toughest part. The waiting is difficult. The temptation to taste is often too strong!

I hear you @veecee !
And i think the temptation might be stronger when you make the juice yourself versus buying commercial juice. But i have other things to,vape and try in the meantime so i can wait a bit

You remind me so much of myself the first time I did DIY @Silver. The excitement, the awareness of the small things and the sense of accomplishment once you finished your first mix. Such a wonderful time that. Alas, I did not know of ELR or ecigssa when I started mixing (started mixing a week after I started vaping), so my first recipes were all self creations and were, for the want of using stronger words, not all that great. But you seem to have some nice ones going here for you and I bid you all of the best in your endeavor! :)

Last edited:
Back