Silver's first adventure into DIY

Right, moving on here

I mixed 7 recipes on Xmas day last year.
Only managed to properly try 4 of them
Life and VapeCon got in the way...

Next up is Dawn Spirit, a recipe @Andre posted in the Tobacco recipe thread from the FA site.

Here is the link to that post
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/diy-tobacco-recipes.t25083/page-19#post-460221

Its a simple three flavour recipe
- FA Virginia 4%
- FA Spearmint 0.5%
- FA Arctic Menthol 0.5%

Been vaping it this morning in the Hadaly with a simple 26g NI80 coil and CB2 wick. 25-30 Watts

Its nice, its mild - I like the FA Virginia. Coolants are mild but pleasant.
Leaves my mouth a bit dry after vaping for a while, but the coolness helps
Not sure I am enjoying the spearmint. I can taste it and its nice but perhaps i am just used to my menthol vapes so the slight sweetness of the spearmint is putting me off. Nothing bad about it, maybe im just not used to it.

Its a nice pleasant mix, just feels like it could do with something else but not sure what. Maybe a bit more menthol, haha.

Nice and gentle vape.

Bottom line - I could easily vape this and will do so - but its not a wow for me. What i learnt is that I like the FA Virginia and not so much the spearmint.

0b7b9f6ee2620c14c9e8954130811d12.jpg
Hi @Silver is that just 2mg or is the 1 just out of the shot?

Hi @Silver is that just 2mg or is the 1 just out of the shot?

Hi @MrGSmokeFree , no its 12mg - i mixed that bottle at 12 because i typically like my tobaccoes stronger, especially in MTL mode. The Hadaly tester i used is actually restricted lung so 12mg is a little bit on the strong side, but still very good.

Right, moving on here

I mixed 7 recipes on Xmas day last year.
Only managed to properly try 4 of them
Life and VapeCon got in the way...

Next up is Dawn Spirit, a recipe @Andre posted in the Tobacco recipe thread from the FA site.

Here is the link to that post
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/diy-tobacco-recipes.t25083/page-19#post-460221

Its a simple three flavour recipe
- FA Virginia 4%
- FA Spearmint 0.5%
- FA Arctic Menthol 0.5%

Been vaping it this morning in the Hadaly with a simple 26g NI80 coil and CB2 wick. 25-30 Watts

Its nice, its mild - I like the FA Virginia. Coolants are mild but pleasant.
Leaves my mouth a bit dry after vaping for a while, but the coolness helps
Not sure I am enjoying the spearmint. I can taste it and its nice but perhaps i am just used to my menthol vapes so the slight sweetness of the spearmint is putting me off. Nothing bad about it, maybe im just not used to it.

Its a nice pleasant mix, just feels like it could do with something else but not sure what. Maybe a bit more menthol, haha.

Nice and gentle vape.

Bottom line - I could easily vape this and will do so - but its not a wow for me. What i learnt is that I like the FA Virginia and not so much the spearmint.

0b7b9f6ee2620c14c9e8954130811d12.jpg
FA spearmint is also a big no go for me. Besides the sweetness, it leaves me with a very weird aftertaste

Next up is FA Glory

Single concentrate tobacco juice with FA Glory at 2%
Vaped it in the Hadaly

a8acd711c3f24151416ee11b745d6c37.jpg

I wrote my impressions in the FA Concentrate reviews subforum because this was the concentrate on its own. Here is the link to it:
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/flavour-art-concentrate-reviews.t21747/page-2#post-696298

Bottom line is that to me its a nice boldish nutty type of tobacco. Has good body amd flavour. Not amazing as a single concentrate mix for me but its good and definitely vapeable.

The journey continues...

Last edited:
Next up is FA Glory

Single concentrate tobacco juice with FA Glory at 2%
Vaped it in the Hadaly

a8acd711c3f24151416ee11b745d6c37.jpg

I wrote my impressions in the FA Concentrate reviews subforum because this was the concentrate on its own. Here is the link to it:
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/flavour-art-concentrate-reviews.t21747/page-2#post-696298

Bottom line is that to me its a nice boldish nutty type of tobacco. Has good body amd flavour. Not amazing as a single concentrate mix for me but its good and definitely vapeable.

The journey continues...

Have you tried FA SoHo yet? Sounds very similar in profile. Although SoHo is very nutty. Tobacco is not prominent at all.

Have you tried FA SoHo yet? Sounds very similar in profile. Although SoHo is very nutty. Tobacco is not prominent at all.

No i havent tried SoHo yet @Adephi
I dont have it either

No i havent tried SoHo yet @Adephi
I dont have it either
It a light Tobacco @Silver, single concentrate mix @12%. Nice and light with a nutty taste I find it very refreshing as an adv. will still have to start trying it with some Menthol and some other things, but the bit I want to set aside just never seems to make it there.

Last one of the original list of 7 juices is Camel Lights

ca151b99c8b953cf7ea06105161c15ff.jpg

Was posted by @Andre in the DIY Tobacco thread here:
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/diy-tobacco-recipes.t25083/page-8#post-413351

Recipe as follows (using your image from that thread Andre)
aQuoi37.jpg

I mixed it at 50PG and at 16mg. Originally intended as MTL - but have tested it on the Hadaly with a simple single 26g NI80 coil at 25-30 Watts. Steeped for about 7 months ;-)

I was a bit concerned when I mixed this that I may have added too much FA Burley and FA Oak - my scale was not registering properly - so I added 10 drops of each for the 20ml mix. If each drop is 0.02g, I may have put in 1% of each instead of 0.5% as called for by the recipe. I probably wont ever know because I dont have experience with those concentrates to know how they taste.

Nevertheless,

This is probably the best of the tobacco-related mixes I originally mixed :party:

It's very nice. Feels well blended and nicely balanced.

Definitely has that cigarette sort of taste and vibe to it. It's a mildish tobacco. Not too light though. The tobacco itself is hard to describe - am not experienced enough in describing different tobaccoes - but it's quite a plain tobacco taste to me. I do pick up a slight sweetness in the vape but its feint.

After a while of vaping it, it does leave my mouth a bit dry. Like I remembered from real cigarettes. Lol.

Has good mouthfeel. Quite a dense feel to it. Not wispy.

Throat hit is ok. A touch less than I would have thought from 16mg - but it's fine. Am vaping it in restricted lung (in the Hadaly) so not expecting the throat punch, but I can feel the nic loading after a while though.

It's interesting, since I started vaping I have tried to find a vape that tastes just like a cigarette. Hasn't been easy. Some commercial juices have come close (for me) like AV Sunshine Cured and one or two others. This Camel Lights DIY juice comes close. And although I am enjoying it - it's not "wowwing" me. To be fair, the commercial tobaccoes I have come to enjoy most are the likes of Blackbird and Havana Nightz. And these are not cigarette-like - they have tobacco in them - but other desserty complex components, making them sweeter, more interesting - and more enjoyable for me.

Bottom Line - this is a great and plain tasting mild tobacco vape. Will definitely vape it, not sure if I would mix it again as is though. Feels like it needs something else to make it more interesting. Maybe a fruit of sorts?

** Menthol Adventure **
Ok, now we talking! Menthol transformation alert :D
Wow, what a difference one drop of menthol makes! Livens it up a lot.

I can observe how it tastes by dropping one drop into the Hadaly (very strong at first), then dripping more of the Camel Lights and as the menthol fades it goes through the spectrum. About halfway seems perfect. I know I am a sucker for menthol, but this really does make it a lovely vape for me.

The tobacco taste is still there but instead of it being "normal" and a bit bland - it's now spritely and kicks with a sparkle. Quite refreshing too. Dryness in my mouth seems to be less. This one is definitely a candidate for menthol inclusion!

Last one of the original list of 7 juices is Camel Lights

ca151b99c8b953cf7ea06105161c15ff.jpg

Was posted by @Andre in the DIY Tobacco thread here:
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/diy-tobacco-recipes.t25083/page-8#post-413351

Recipe as follows (using your image from that thread Andre)
aQuoi37.jpg

I mixed it at 50PG and at 16mg. Originally intended as MTL - but have tested it on the Hadaly with a simple single 26g NI80 coil at 25-30 Watts. Steeped for about 7 months ;-)

I was a bit concerned when I mixed this that I may have added too much FA Burley and FA Oak - my scale was not registering properly - so I added 10 drops of each for the 20ml mix. If each drop is 0.02g, I may have put in 1% of each instead of 0.5% as called for by the recipe. I probably wont ever know because I dont have experience with those concentrates to know how they taste.

Nevertheless,

This is probably the best of the tobacco-related mixes I originally mixed :party:

It's very nice. Feels well blended and nicely balanced.

Definitely has that cigarette sort of taste and vibe to it. It's a mildish tobacco. Not too light though. The tobacco itself is hard to describe - am not experienced enough in describing different tobaccoes - but it's quite a plain tobacco taste to me. I do pick up a slight sweetness in the vape but its feint.

After a while of vaping it, it does leave my mouth a bit dry. Like I remembered from real cigarettes. Lol.

Has good mouthfeel. Quite a dense feel to it. Not wispy.

Throat hit is ok. A touch less than I would have thought from 16mg - but it's fine. Am vaping it in restricted lung (in the Hadaly) so not expecting the throat punch, but I can feel the nic loading after a while though.

It's interesting, since I started vaping I have tried to find a vape that tastes just like a cigarette. Hasn't been easy. Some commercial juices have come close (for me) like AV Sunshine Cured and one or two others. This Camel Lights DIY juice comes close. And although I am enjoying it - it's not "wowwing" me. To be fair, the commercial tobaccoes I have come to enjoy most are the likes of Blackbird and Havana Nightz. And these are not cigarette-like - they have tobacco in them - but other desserty complex components, making them sweeter, more interesting - and more enjoyable for me.

Bottom Line - this is a great and plain tasting mild tobacco vape. Will definitely vape it, not sure if I would mix it again as is though. Feels like it needs something else to make it more interesting. Maybe a fruit of sorts?

** Menthol Adventure **
Ok, now we talking! Menthol transformation alert :D
Wow, what a difference one drop of menthol makes! Livens it up a lot.

I can observe how it tastes by dropping one drop into the Hadaly (very strong at first), then dripping more of the Camel Lights and as the menthol fades it goes through the spectrum. About halfway seems perfect. I know I am a sucker for menthol, but this really does make it a lovely vape for me.

The tobacco taste is still there but instead of it being "normal" and a bit bland - it's now spritely and kicks with a sparkle. Quite refreshing too. Dryness in my mouth seems to be less. This one is definitely a candidate for menthol inclusion!
Will then have to add this to the to mix list @Silver , sounds good. A nice light tobacco with the Menthol I got used to towards the end of my smoking season with the Menthol ball you could crush for a fresh mouth feel. :)Not so fresh however was the rest from smoking!:confused:

Will then have to add this to the to mix list @Silver , sounds good. A nice light tobacco with the Menthol I got used to towards the end of my smoking season with the Menthol ball you could crush for a fresh mouth feel. :)Not so fresh however was the rest from smoking!:confused:

Its a great simple tobacco taste @Room Fogger !
Not something I would vape on an ongoing basis - as is - but with menthol - I could easily vape it in rotation!

Had a vape on the Prickly Victory I mixed a few days ago

Here's the recipe:
https://alltheflavors.com/recipes/37881#prickly_victory_by_hashslingingslashur

It's simple. 4% CAP Sweet Guava and 1% INW Cactus

Man, I am struggling. I don't really like it :eek:

I find it quite sour which is not a bad thing - and it has a nice sherbet sort of texture.

But I can't really taste the Guava. It has more of a lemony lime sort of taste. Maybe that's the cactus. It's not a bad taste but not something I really enjoy.

Also tastes a bit unrefined and slightly chemically. Not enjoying the vape.

I thought I would like this one and was looking forward to it - also was happy that it was a simple recipe.
But that was not to be :(

Maybe I didn't shake it enough. I shook it a bit after mixing and once or twice over the past few days. Used Gold Nic from BLCK.

Will try it again in a few days and see...
And as @Adephi suggested, I will try add some menthol - maybe that will make it nicer for me

@Silver I was actually thinking about this thread yesterday and wondering how your DIY journey was going! Glad to see you’re still experimenting. :)

Sorry to hear the Prickly Victory recipe wasn’t quite what you expected, but I’m sure you’ll get it just right soon enough! :)

Here's the recipe:

I find it quite sour which is not a bad thing - and it has a nice sherbet sort of texture.

But I can't really taste the Guava. It has more of a lemony lime sort of taste. Maybe that's the cactus. It's not a bad taste but not something I really enjoy.

I thought I would like this one and was looking forward to it - also was happy that it was a simple recipe.

Maybe I didn't shake it enough. I shook it a bit after mixing and once or twice over the past few days. Used Gold Nic from BLCK.

And as @Adephi suggested, I will try add some menthol - maybe that will make it nicer for me
I also can’t stand it with the cactus at 1%.

I dropped the cactus to 0.5% and the guava comes through much better.

Adding menthol/was23 definitely gives it that kick it needs as well.

Thanks @Carnival and @Paul33

Maybe I wil try making another batch with cactus at 0.5%. Thanks for the tip. And menthol of course.

Here's the recipe:

I had a similar experience, I do like it but I taste mostly Cactus, luckily it's a favourite flavour for me. I think on the next batch I'll drop the Cactus to 0.5

I also add WS-23 at 0.5%, don't know if that could affect the guava? I cannot vape fruit flavours without a bit of ice unfortunately.

Believe it or not but I got a friend that I mix for that wants me to increase the cactus.

I found after a few weeks the cactus smooth out a bit and it becomes more bearable. But dropping the cactus and adding menthol to it does the trick.

Last edited:

Here's the recipe:

Yeah cactus is a strange animal. I once vaped a juice where the maker's mixing scale was off and there was way to much cactus added to the juice. This was totally unvapable and tasted like vaping perfume. Nasty stuff. I do like the sour/tangy character that is gives the juice though.

Back