Flavour and throat hit seeker
Staff member
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
Hi fellow Reonauts

I decided to do something slightly different with my routine coil on my RM2 for my Reo Mini

I spaced the wraps a bit instead of compressing them.

IMG_9690 - Spaced Coil.jpg

VERDICT - it pops and spits like a rattlesnake and spitting cobra put together!!

WHAT I LEARNT - compressed coils are far more refined and more to my liking.

More details

• the first toot after its standing for a bit lets off a gigantic pop. I got such a fright once I nearly dropped my beloved Reo Mini. It calms down a bit with a few toots - but is still vicious and noisy. Far from stealthy
  • If you fire it without putting your mouth on the drip tip it looks like a steam train that's a bit confused. Small puffs of vapour come out of the airhole and drip tip periodically.
  • You don't pinch and squeeze to get the coil glowing from the centre - but interestingly it glowed from the centre outwards from the beginning. And one or two snooker stick moves (ala @Andre) made it even better
  • Its 28g Kanthal, 1.5mm ID, 7 wraps - pretty much my usual Reo Mini coil - perfect for my VM Choc Mint. This spaced coil came out at 1.02 ohms.
  • I wicked it like I normally do, with organic cotton - not too tight, not too loose
  • The flavour is good - perhaps slightly less than with the compressed coil. Throat hit is definitely a bit less.
Just thought I would document and share my findings. If anyone knows why this is performing like it is, I'm all ears. Perhaps its the wicking, perhaps its the spacings that are not uniform. Not sure - but I am nearly ready to rip it out...

Lol, great write up. I have never done a spaced coil on a mandrel so have no experience to assist. My spaced coils are done on wicking socked on a mandrel and have never had the cobra spit at me.

@Silver I've only experienced that if there is not enough wicking material that can adsorb droplets of juice on the coils.

Lol, great write up. I have never done a spaced coil on a mandrel so have no experience to assist. My spaced coils are done on wicking socked on a mandrel and have never had the cobra spit at me.

Thanks @Andre. Boy does this cobra spit.
I think it was @PutRid that was complaining of tingling from a Nautilus Mini - wait till he tries this ;-)

A while back, I did the Kanthal ribbon "ugly" coil on the Ekowool - not neatly spaced but just wound around - as per @johan's method.
That was very well behaved compared to this.

I'm thinking my spacings may be too wide and maybe juice gets trapped in there somehow and spits. Or it's a cotton thing. Strangely, I know @MurderDoll likes his spaced 26g coils - I think he uses Rayon, which I doubt is any different - and he raves about his coil. But I think he is not on the RM2.

I also know that @Alex said once to me that the popping could be from not enough cotton or too much. But I did it my usual way which works perfectly on the compressed coil - so no change there. Maybe this coil needs more cotton to go up between the spacings if you know what I mean.

@Silver I've only experienced that if there is not enough wicking material that can adsorb droplets of juice on the coils.

Thanks @johan - I will try rewick with a bit more - before I rip it out.

Hi fellow Reonauts

I decided to do something slightly different with my routine coil on my RM2 for my Reo Mini

I spaced the wraps a bit instead of compressing them.

View attachment 15227

VERDICT - it pops and spits like a rattlesnake and spitting cobra put together!!

WHAT I LEARNT - compressed coils are far more refined and more to my liking.

More details

• the first toot after its standing for a bit lets off a gigantic pop. I got such a fright once I nearly dropped my beloved Reo Mini. It calms down a bit with a few toots - but is still vicious and noisy. Far from stealthy
  • If you fire it without putting your mouth on the drip tip it looks like a steam train that's a bit confused. Small puffs of vapour come out of the airhole and drip tip periodically.
  • You don't pinch and squeeze to get the coil glowing from the centre - but interestingly it glowed from the centre outwards from the beginning. And one or two snooker stick moves (ala @Andre) made it even better
  • Its 28g Kanthal, 1.5mm ID, 7 wraps - pretty much my usual Reo Mini coil - perfect for my VM Choc Mint. This spaced coil came out at 1.02 ohms.
  • I wicked it like I normally do, with organic cotton - not too tight, not too loose
  • The flavour is good - perhaps slightly less than with the compressed coil. Throat hit is definitely a bit less.
Just thought I would document and share my findings. If anyone knows why this is performing like it is, I'm all ears. Perhaps its the wicking, perhaps its the spacings that are not uniform. Not sure - but I am nearly ready to rip it out...

Nicely said @Silver, I'm vaping on exactly that coil, just mine is 1.0 ohms.

It does exactly that spitting and popping. Why I don't know. But I like the vape. Even if I get a fire drop or 2 on my tong every now and then.

I love the way you worded it, quite entertaining. Wouldn't be able to put it like that. :giggle:

Send while vaping on the Reo mini Thor

Nicely said @Silver, I'm vaping on exactly that coil, just mine is 1.0 ohms.

It does exactly that spitting and popping. Why I don't know. But I like the vape. Even if I get a fire drop or 2 on my tong every now and then.

I love the way you worded it, quite entertaining. Wouldn't be able to put it like that. :giggle:

Thanks @annemarievdh
Different strokes for different folks! I suppose you just like it a bit more fiery and vicious ;-)

Funny thing is - for me, the vape itself is not as good (spitting and popping aside) as a compressed coil.

I am going to try with a bit more wick material next and see if I can tame it a bit.

I have noticed that I am getting enough puffs per squonk - about 4 or 5. As with the compressed coil. Maybe the spaced coil just needs a bit more cotton -

Great write up @Silver

My personal enjoyment spot is definitely the ugly/spaced cool. Although my spacing is quite a bit smaller than what you have on your Reo.

What I do is wind my turns around my screwdriver. From there I pinch each end with my nails and then squeeze them together. This compresses them right down. When I let go of them they will spring out again to a perfectly spaced coil. Use pliers to pull each of the legs so they tighten on the coil to get the perfect ID.

Wicking I have noticed that the spaced cool does require a little bit more wick due to the extra spacing. The plus side is you'll get 1 or 2 more toots before it needs squonking.

Hope this helps a bit?

Thanks @annemarievdh
Different strokes for different folks! I suppose you just like it a bit more fiery and vicious ;-)

Funny thing is - for me, the vape itself is not as good (spitting and popping aside) as a compressed coil.

I am going to try with a bit more wick material next and see if I can tame it a bit.

I've jammed as much rayon in there as I could, but still It spits.

But soon there will be a new coil.

Great write up @Silver

My personal enjoyment spot is definitely the ugly/spaced cool. Although my spacing is quite a bit smaller than what you have on your Reo.

What I do is wind my turns around my screwdriver. From there I pinch each end with my nails and then squeeze them together. This compresses them right down. When I let go of them they will spring out again to a perfectly spaced coil. Use pliers to pull each of the legs so they tighten on the coil to get the perfect ID.

Wicking I have noticed that the spaced cool does require a little bit more wick due to the extra spacing. The plus side is you'll get 1 or 2 more toots before it needs squonking.

Hope this helps a bit?
Great info, thanks. Yeah, remember a spaced coil from @Cape vaping supplies - the spaces were so small one could almost not see them on a picture he posted, and very even spaces.

Great write up @Silver

Hope this helps a bit?

Yip, thanks @MurderDoll - got you loud and clear - definitely helps

I was thinking of you when I made this coil - I thought of doing it your method of spacing while on the mandrel then pinching it closed and letting it spring out a bit - but then I thought, let me try this first with wider spacings, wound by hand.

I am first going to try more cotton and report back on that.

Then I am going to redo it with your method and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip of pulling the legs with pliers - I forgot about that.

Very interesting @Silver I always wanted to give the ugly coils a try. I actually planned on trying it first with ribbon kanthal not sure if that will make a huge difference.

Very interesting @Silver I always wanted to give the ugly coils a try. I actually planned on trying it first with ribbon kanthal not sure if that will make a huge difference.

I think Ribbon is totally different. I have only done 2 ribbon Kanthal coils with Ekowool - they worked very well. 4 wraps - about 0.8 ohms or so if I recall correctly - and it behaved and worked nicely.

I think the idea behind a spaced coil (maybe not as spaced as mine, but just very small spaces) is that it increases the surface area in contact with the wicking material. @Cape vaping supplies had a spaced coil like this. It was epic. This was discussed some months back.

I think the idea of a compressed micro-coil is that it gets a bit hotter inside the "cylinder" and the heat is uniform. Not sure if this is true, but this spaced coil of mine does feel a bit cooler than the almost identical compressed coil.

Most interesting indeed -

I have noticed that I am getting enough puffs per squonk - about 4 or 5. As with the compressed coil. Maybe the spaced coil just needs a bit more cotton -

As I understand and maybe wrongfully observed with various RBA's and RDA's' if there are too much juice on the physical coil itself and not enough adsorption from the wick, to absorb it from the coil outer surface, it will spit - exactly like when you mess some water on a hot plate or heater element.

I think Ribbon is totally different. I have only done 2 ribbon Kanthal coils with Ekowool - they worked very well. 4 wraps - about 0.8 ohms or so if I recall correctly - and it behaved and worked nicely.

I think the idea behind a spaced coil (maybe not as spaced as mine, but just very small spaces) is that it increases the surface area in contact with the wicking material. @Cape vaping supplies had a spaced coil like this. It was epic. This was discussed some months back.

I think the idea of a compressed micro-coil is that it gets a bit hotter inside the "cylinder" and the heat is uniform. Not sure if this is true, but this spaced coil of mine does feel a bit cooler than the almost identical compressed coil.

Most interesting indeed -
Lol, there is a scientific guy on ECF that has made a real study of micro coils and is adamant that they are the most efficient is all ways. Not easy to understand his language though. In any event, my philosophy is to use what works for your taste and style. Be open to experiment, but do not change just for the sake of it.

Thanks @johan

On a totally different topic - I just noticed your 1 year vape-aversary will be in about 2 weeks time
Looks like perfect timing for the Vape Meet
Time to celebrate!

Thanks @johan

On a totally different topic - I just noticed your 1 year vape-aversary will be in about 2 weeks time
Looks like perfect timing for the Vape Meet
Time to celebrate!

And I thought you are mathematically educated? :eek: - I started vaping end of Jan 2014 only

PS. Please note 1 year = 12 months not 10!

And I thought you are mathematically educated? :eek: - I started vaping end of Jan 2014 only

PS. Please note 1 year = 12 months not 10!

LOL @johan

(Walks quietly out the room with his tail between his legs)

I saw your vaping counter banner and thought it said 11 months and 2 weeks.
I looked again now and it says 9 months.
I can't believe it - this is the 2nd time I have made this mistake - with your counter. Must be the green colour which doesn't work so well with my eyes. Or maybe its just me wanting something big to celebrate on the Vape Meet ;-)

LOL @johan

(Walks quietly out the room with his tail between his legs)

I saw your vaping counter banner and thought it said 11 months and 2 weeks.
I looked again now and it says 9 months.
I can't believe it - this is the 2nd time I have made this mistake - with your counter. Must be the green colour which doesn't work so well with my eyes. Or maybe its just me wanting something big to celebrate on the Vape Meet ;-)

Yip, twice! Should I change it Ferrari Red?

@Silver. This is my how my typical coil build process entails.

I've used a 1.5mm ID, 28g 6.5/7 wraps. Exact same as your original one so you have a good guideline to work off.

First up is that wraps around the bit. As you can see the spaced quite far apart.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415812951.395153.jpg

Next up is the pinching. Then releasing. Can see it looks a whole lot better already.
If you look carefully. You can see it doesn't sit tightly on the bit due to the extra length from the wide spacing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415812936.299825.jpg

Lastly is using the pliers to tension it onto the piece to get rid of the excess spacing and give it a uniform fit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415812993.738787.jpg

From here I just instal the same way as I would with a micro coil. Also doing the snooker stick method with the pulsing.

@Silver. This is my how my typical coil build process entails.

I've used a 1.5mm ID, 28g 6.5/7 wraps. Exact same as your original one so you have a good guideline to work off.

First up is that wraps around the bit. As you can see the spaced quite far apart.

View attachment 15233

Next up is the pinching. Then releasing. Can see it looks a whole lot better already.
If you look carefully. You can see it doesn't sit tightly on the bit due to the extra length from the wide spacing.

View attachment 15232

Lastly is using the pliers to tension it onto the piece to get rid of the excess spacing and give it a uniform fit.

View attachment 15234

From here I just instal the same way as I would with a micro coil. Also doing the snooker stick method with the pulsing.

Thanks very much!
- that was well photographed and brilliantly explained!

I will follow that procedure exactly when I get round to making the next one.

Back