Stainless Steel Notch Coil by Wismec & Jaybo

Found this on Facebook just now. One picture is a screenshot with the caption.View attachment 239733 View attachment 239734

I wasn't overly impressed with them :rolleyes: ... I got some from eCig Inn in Durbs ... I also tried making my own by spot welding strips of SS mesh to 10mm lengths of 24G Stainless wire, and then bending the mesh around a 3.5mm former ... all I can say about the latter is it's easier to go purchase a mesh tank.

I wasn't overly impressed with them :rolleyes: ... I got some from eCig Inn in Durbs ... I also tried making my own by spot welding strips of SS mesh to 10mm lengths of 24G Stainless wire, and then bending the mesh around a 3.5mm former ... all I can say about the latter is it's easier to go purchase a mesh tank.
Apparently the clones were not good and the originals delicate and brittle. Apparently also a low wattage coil, and a very "Cool" vape.

Apparently the clones were not good and the originals delicate and brittle. Apparently also a low wattage coil, and a very "Cool" vape.
I only tested the eCig Inn ones, so I can't comment about the "originals" or of going brittle and or temperature differences to conventional coils ... save to say that neither the eCigs ones, nor my "home brew" ones went brittle, and as I rarely vape above 10 Watts, I'm pretty much a "cool zone" vaper, which also lessens any material changes wrt the coils / mesh / metal structure.

The original thread resurrected today by @Stew only lasted 5 days which actually really does sum up the original Notch coil, met with so much hype only for people to realise how c**p they were in a week (at least that's how I remembered it)! Despite all that surface area was severely lacking in flavour, only the ultrasonic devices released a couple of years ago gave a colder vape and ramp up of a milk float!

They did release smaller improved versions (where 3.5ID I believe but don't quote me on that) about two years ago which gave a warmer vape and improved flavour but again went out of fashion very quickly!

Last edited:
5043802-5.jpg

These are apparently 3.5mm .

These coils arrived on the scene in 2016 and didn't seem to take off.
Might be worth trying on new RTA/RDAs.

Something they are "good" for (as a backup only) is the SMRT Coils for the PnP pods. Used with Muji or DartKing cotton, it works in the PnP pods, but the trick is to get the one leg into the middle of the cotton otherwise it's either a dead short on the coil or a dead short on the chamber. It does work, but I wont suggest it for new rebuilders to try and only for those that have run out of SMRT Mesh strips and is really in need of a coil and cannot make it to a shop or wait for an order...

So you must be desperate to the point where you'll vape diaper cotton and clean VG if it comes to it... but before you reach that point, contact me and I'll send you something better than diaper cotton and a couple of mesh strips to see you through first... being able to use it, does not mean you should use it...

5043802-5.jpg

These are apparently 3.5mm .

These coils arrived on the scene in 2016 and didn't seem to take off.
Might be worth trying on new RTA/RDAs.
They disappeared and made a comeback in 2018, was even a couple of tanks released that were given the Notch name! The newer versions also came pre-wicked with cotton and were better than previous notch coils but still much cooler than a traditional wire coil!

Something they are "good" for (as a backup only) is the SMRT Coils for the PnP pods. Used with Muji or DartKing cotton, it works in the PnP pods, but the trick is to get the one leg into the middle of the cotton otherwise it's either a dead short on the coil or a dead short on the chamber. It does work, but I wont suggest it for new rebuilders to try and only for those that have run out of SMRT Mesh strips and is really in need of a coil and cannot make it to a shop or wait for an order...

So you must be desperate to the point where you'll vape diaper cotton and clean VG if it comes to it... but before you reach that point, contact me and I'll send you something better than diaper cotton and a couple of mesh strips to see you through first... being able to use it, does not mean you should use it...
That sounded like if you are desperate you can use them but don't!:monoloco: fair assessment!

It is funny looking at peoples reaction to these at the start of the thread, we have all been there!:monoloco:

Amusing old video review of the notch coil by Geekay Vapes. You older vapers might remember him. He was really popular.

That sounded like if you are desperate you can use them but don't!:monoloco: fair assessment!

Something like that yes... its a bit of a pain to bend the one leg back towards the other leg, making sure the bend is as close as possible to the actual coil section as to not protrude and hit the top section of the RBA once screwed on. Then with the leg pointing down now, you have to poke it in-between the layers of the cotton as to not short out either side of the cotton. In the process you have to make sure you dont break the leg off, or mangle up the coil, as the coil is only sturdy on the one side with the actual metal running down the one end, the other side it is flimsy and opens up if you bend it. Then you have to make sure you have enough cotton, as it is not the same ID as the rod supplied for the SMRT coils. With that said, you need to find a coiling tool/drillbit that is the right size just to guide it into the RBA (and again, not mangle it up as there is no lip on the tool you use to push the coil down with or provide resistance against the force when guiding the cotton through the side slit of the RBA.

But, like I said, if you have some experience in rebuilding, it shouldn't be too much of a PITA to get it done. So it's for that end-of-days kind of backup plan to have a few of these lying around. I recon that will be for any RTA/RDA/RBA that can use it. Never underestimate the power of a coil that you don't like when you don't have anything else to use.

Something like that yes... its a bit of a pain to bend the one leg back towards the other leg, making sure the bend is as close as possible to the actual coil section as to not protrude and hit the top section of the RBA once screwed on. Then with the leg pointing down now, you have to poke it in-between the layers of the cotton as to not short out either side of the cotton. In the process you have to make sure you dont break the leg off, or mangle up the coil, as the coil is only sturdy on the one side with the actual metal running down the one end, the other side it is flimsy and opens up if you bend it. Then you have to make sure you have enough cotton, as it is not the same ID as the rod supplied for the SMRT coils. With that said, you need to find a coiling tool/drillbit that is the right size just to guide it into the RBA (and again, not mangle it up as there is no lip on the tool you use to push the coil down with or provide resistance against the force when guiding the cotton through the side slit of the RBA.

But, like I said, if you have some experience in rebuilding, it shouldn't be too much of a PITA to get it done. So it's for that end-of-days kind of backup plan to have a few of these lying around. I recon that will be for any RTA/RDA/RBA that can use it. Never underestimate the power of a coil that you don't like when you don't have anything else to use.

I need to get you onto working out how to use them coils to rebuild RPM coils, (the RPM RBA sucks!), and then I'll dig out my ol' Fetch Pro again :)

Back