Starting Out Making Juice - Need Help

DirtRider

New Vaper
LV

Awards
All the years I have always just purchased my juice but now I would like to start making my own.

The thing is I have no idea where to even start with doing this. What equipment is needed and where to get it.

I would think that I will need to order it all from an online store.

Any help with this all would be appreciated.

All the years I have always just purchased my juice but now I would like to start making my own.

The thing is I have no idea where to even start with doing this. What equipment is needed and where to get it.

I would think that I will need to order it all from an online store.

Any help with this all would be appreciated.
Morning @DirtRider , agree with @Silver , best way is read the primer piece first, that will give you an idea of what it is about. Then go and browse the recipes on this site or on the Internet, and see what falls into your preferred profile and select a couple that have as many common concentrates shared as possible. Don’t overbuy on you first order, time will tell. Another great option when starting is to go for one shots as this is the easiest way.

Any further advice you need after your read please post your questions, there is a multitude of great mixers on this site that will share their knowledge and give advice. All day Vapes also has a special one shot starter kit for forum members to start with, give it a look over as well. Enjoy your reading and then your mixing. Many happy clouds to you.

@Silver Thank you for that great resource I have downloaded it and will be studding it at length.

One other question how does the cost compare between making your own juice and buying it already made?

@Silver Thank you for that great resource I have downloaded it and will be studding it at length.

One other question how does the cost compare between making your own juice and buying it already made?

I will let the more experienced DIYers answer that
But my feeling is that it’s way cheaper to make your own juice
BUT
That assumes you have a recipe you absolutely love
I think there is a lot of trial and error and lots of juices you will make that you won’t like
And that adds to the cost
It’s also a time issue

As a fairly new-ish DIY-er, I can tell you that most DIY recipes are way less sweet than the commercial ones. Either be ready for that, or jast add a little more sweetener to every recipe than is stated. Coolant is your friend, it can brighten up the bad ones and make them vape-able at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with what @CJB85 says about sweetener. I would say that most DIY recipes today have around 0.5% sweetener. In the early days, I have seen a recipe with 5% sweetener in it.

The other change has been in the overall percentage of flavouring used in a DIY juice. Take a look at this popular recipe from 2015. Almost 20% flavouring. These days the average is far lower.

Grape Bubblegum

Bubblegum (TPA) 10.00

Grape Candy (TPA) 8.00

Super Sweet (CAP) 1.50

Whatever you do don't make this recipe. It looks scary to me.

Right now I would basically just be looking at two different flavors these being Coffee and a Menthol one. Over the years of vaping I found that I never really liked any of the sweet types of flavors and in fact it has come down to just these two I enjoy.

Possibly a coffee with a slight nut flavor and then then menthol would be what I would settle on.

There are significant savings to be made by mixing your own juice and setup costs, basically the cost of a scale, are soon recovered. Don't waste time on syringes, they are messy and time consuming. The trick is however to eliminate costly experimentation finding a recipe you like. I can not advise you on that part for I took the expensive route. Seeing you like coffee and menthol, I would advise you to try some recipes by @Andre and @Rude Rudi posted in the DIY section on this forum. Both have talent in the dark arts of mixing.

Enjoy and keep us posted please.

Regards

hi, @DirtRider not sure if you still reside in PE but you should maybe hook up with @RenaldoRheeder who stays there, the man is vastly experienced and I'm sure he wont mind helping you with advice and get you going on DIY

hi, @DirtRider not sure if you still reside in PE but you should maybe hook up with @RenaldoRheeder who stays there, the man is vastly experienced and I'm sure he wont mind helping you with advice and get you going on DIY

@DirtRider - if you are in PE, you are welcome to PM me. I’ll gladly help where I can

Right now I would basically just be looking at two different flavors these being Coffee and a Menthol one. Over the years of vaping I found that I never really liked any of the sweet types of flavors and in fact it has come down to just these two I enjoy.

Possibly a coffee with a slight nut flavor and then then menthol would be what I would settle on.
@Hooked is the coffee expert, not sure if this also covers concentrates! I do a lot of DIY but as there is a group on here that discuss DIY daily i will leave them to help you out!

As a fairly new-ish DIY-er, I can tell you that most DIY recipes are way less sweet than the commercial ones. Either be ready for that, or jast add a little more sweetener to every recipe than is stated. Coolant is your friend, it can brighten up the bad ones and make them vape-able at least.

Totally agree about sweetener but personally not into coolant but each to their own, it always make me smile when someone might moan about a device that doesn't give a warm enough vape but then i find out they like e-liquid with coolant it leaves me scratching my head!

Imraan from BOSSVape Is your to go guy , he helped me a lot when I started diy and mind you , I might be extremely lucky but even my worst concoctions were vape-able , start with 2/3 flavours and work your way up , mix with a scale and remember steeping times .It is tempting to jump right in and vape what you create - let it steep and it will taste even better .Good luck.

@Hooked is your coffee boffin on the forum ;)
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/coffee-e-juice-research.t47247/page-22#post-829372

@Hooked is the coffee expert, not sure if this also covers concentrates! I do a lot of DIY but as there is a group on here that discuss DIY daily i will leave them to help you out!

Thank you @Timwis, but I don't DIY. All my coffees are commercial juices, although I did a one shot - Coffee Mill, Roasted Caramel Latte. The review is here if @DirtRider wants to have a look.

This is a new one one me just starting out so what is it and for how long.
That is how long you let the juice stand in a cool dark place after mixing for it to “mature” and for the individual flavors to do their thing and become the masterpiece it is supposed to be.

Rule of thumb is fruits and beverages from shake and vape to 7 days, custards and puddings about 14 days and tobaccos 21 days plus. Sometimes the longer the better it becomes.

Look for a recipy called “Afogato” or “Morning Glory” by @Rude Rudi or “Arabica Coffee” by @Andre for coffee juices, the first two are great, Afogato is a stronger coffee vape, and Morning Glory is one of my adv’s and waiting for Arabica Coffee to finish steeping to try, but looks good. Also there is a Coffee Cake by @KZOR which I like. I steep most of my juices for 21 days as a rule, it gets easier once you are up and running to wait for this long, beginning you just about sit and watch the cupboard! Hope this helps on the coffee side and with the steeping explanation.

@DirtRider

If you're happy to do one shots, have a look at All Day Vapes' coffees. He is the only juice-maker who makes many different coffees and just recently he has offered them (and other flavours) as one shots.

I haven't tried the one shots yet, but I've reviewed all the ready-made ones. Scroll through the All Day Vapes review thread from here onwards for my reviews. I highly recommend most of them!!

If you need any help with the one shots, PM the juice-maker on this forum. @YeOldeOke

Back