Strange Place Names

I can just imagine the reaction of someone when they ask where one is from! They wouldn't realise that it's a place name - they would just think that you're speaking a foreign language.

Imagine being on a tour bus and the guide says :
"next up... Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu... and you missed it... "

- Crow's Nest, New South Wales, Australia
- Kissing, Bavaria, Germany
- Pullindoos Farm (Northern Ireland)
- Firth of Forth, Scotland
- *******, Austria

- Fukui, Fukui-ken, Japan
- Hell, Cayman Islands
- Howlong, New South Wales, Australia
- Innaloo, Western Australia, Australia (Wait a second, I'm in a loo!)
- Knotty Ash, Liverpool, Merseyside, England, United Kingdom

21367.jpg

Mudpie Lane in Nottingham! A women got murdered there in 1983 which became a cold case, 25 years later the murderer was brought to justice!

- Lickey End, Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom
- Little Dix, Anguilla
- Little (and Great) Snoring, Norfolk, United Kingdom
- Lol, Dordogne, Aquitaine, France
- Middelfart, Fyn, Denmark

This common sign in the UK always brings a smile!

IMP_MGA_020217mgaball_06JPG.jpg

Osgodby
Foggathorpe
Bubwith
Thorpe Willoughby
Wistow Common
Wistow Lordship
Black Fen Lane
Scalm Lane
Broad Lane
Church Fenton
Little Fenton
Spofforth
Wetherby
Little Ribston
Starbeck Street
Kirkby Overblow

Oh that's just splendid. I'm only 45 minutes drive from York.
As well as all the very old buildings and little cobbled streets the other good thing about York is there are so many unique shops etc instead of the high street just being a clone of every other town or city, not near you but if you ever have the opportunity Norwich is another really nice city and also is very much bespoke when it comes to shops etc!

As well as all the very old buildings and little cobbled streets the other good thing about York is there are so many unique shops etc instead of the high street just being a clone of every other town or city, not near you but if you ever have the opportunity Norwich is another really nice city and also is very much bespoke when it comes to shops etc!
I have been to Norwich. I came to the UK when I was 17 and stayed with my aunt and uncle in a small village called Ludham. We used to travel to Great Yarmouth for the fair and rides - my cousins showed me around. I've also been near King's Lynn as well.

I have been to Norwich. I came to the UK when I was 17 and stayed with my aunt and uncle in a small village called Ludham. We used to travel to Great Yarmouth for the fair and rides - my cousins showed me around. I've also been near King's Lynn as well.
Beautiful part of the World, it's where my dads side of the family come from!

Beautiful part of the World, it's where my dads side of the family come from!
My dad was born in Barnard Castle but was raised in Selby his whole life until he returned to Barnard Castle to study chemical engineering at the university and then later came to South Africa. He's shown me a lot of places around Selby and I specially love going to the garden centres which we spent a lot of our time when they come to visit. Pretty sure when May comes up, we'll be going to garden centres again.

Back