SubOhmVapor 28g Vapowire vs Vapeking/SkyBlue 28g wire (Kanthal)

@Silver i was just reading this thread. Did you see my post here: http://www.ecigssa.co.za/threads/28-guage-kanthal-note-the-difference.6500/#post-139481 (pardon the spelling ;))

post # 7

Thanks @kimbo
Saw that post

I feel very bad since I havent yet posted the pics from the measurements @johan and I took of these two wires. They are on my other camera which I need to download. Just been extremely busy. But will do it soon.

As i said before on this topic, nothing is wrong with either wire, they both work perfectly, but they are indeed of slightly differing thickness, so the resistance comes out a bit different with the same coil specs.

Ok here are the photos of the measurements that @johan and I took recently.

Here is 28g wire I got from VapeKing - It measures 0.12 of an inch
VK 28g thickness.jpg

Now the 28g Vapowire from SubOhmvapor - look carefully - it measures almost 0.13 of an inch
SOV Vapowire 28g thickness.jpg

We measured both of them a few times just to make sure.
The Vapowire 28g is definitely slightly thicker.

0.12 of an inch is 0.305mm
0.13 of an inch is 0.330mm

So the difference we are talking about here is very small. It's three hundredths of a millimetre.

But this definitely makes a difference in the final resistance of two coils with the same specs. My experience was that with the VK wire, 8 wraps around 1.5mm was giving me coils in the range of 1.20 to 1.25 ohms. With the Vapowire I was getting 1.03 to 1.07 ohms.

Thanks to @johan for bringing along his amazingly accurate analog micrometer -

Now we know

Once again, I am not saying one is better than the other - they are both good wires. Just that the actual thickness of two different brands of wires marked 28g can vary slightly.

All in the name of Science ;-)

0.12 of an inch is 0.305mm
0.13 of an inch is 0.330mm

Yea looks like there is a 0.05mm tolerance for 28gauge wire. So if you buy from were ever and you buy 28guage you will get a wire of between 0.30mm and 0.35mm

Back