SubOhmVapor 28g Vapowire vs Vapeking/SkyBlue 28g wire (Kanthal)

Silver

Flavour and throat hit seeker
Staff member
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
Hi all

I have noticed that the 28g Vapowire i got from Subohm vapor leads to slightly lower resistance than the 28g wire I got from VapeKing and from SkyBlue Vaping.

i am not trying to attack anyone here, all the wire i have works well, its just the resistance is slightly different.

i was getting 1.20 to 1.25 ohms with 8 wraps around 1.5mm iD. This was very consistent with the 28g wire I had from Vapeking and SkyBlue Vaping. Ive made many coils like this for several months.

With the SOV 28g wire, the same coil (8 wraps around 1.5mm iD) comes out consistently at 1.03 to 1.07. I've made around 5 or 6 coils and am using the same atty (RM2) and measuring device.

I suspect that the vapowire is slightly thicker. Either it is 28g and the VapeKing/SkyBlue is actually 29g. Or, the Vapowire is actually 27g. On the vape, it does seem like i am vaping a slightly thicker wire. Slightly more popping, slightly longer to heat up and a little bit of the "afterburner" effect.

I dont have a Vernier to measure.

Has anyone noticed this?

Hi all

I have noticed that the 28g Vapowire i got from Subohm vapor leads to slightly lower resistance than the 28g wire I got from VapeKing and from SkyBlue Vaping.

i am not trying to attack anyone here, all the wire i have works well, its just the resistance is slightly different.

i was getting 1.20 to 1.25 ohms with 8 wraps around 1.5mm iD. This was very consistent with the 28g wire I had from Vapeking and SkyBlue Vaping. Ive made many coils like this for several months.

With the SOV 28g wire, the same coil (8 wraps around 1.5mm iD) comes out consistently at 1.03 to 1.07. I've made around 5 or 6 coils and am using the same atty (RM2) and measuring device.

I suspect that the vapowire is slightly thicker. Either it is 28g and the VapeKing/SkyBlue is actually 29g. Or, the Vapowire is actually 27g. On the vape, it does seem like i am vaping a slightly thicker wire. Slightly more popping, slightly longer to heat up and a little bit of the "afterburner" effect.

Has anyone noticed this?

very inetresting @Silver. the time has come for me to order more coil wire and i was seriously considering getting SOV vapowire
i will however pass on that now and get my usual kanthal A1 28guage wire from skyblue.

Please guys, dont think i am saying that the vapowire is not good or that the Vapeking/SkyBlue wire is not good. They both work perfectly.

Some would say you can get more wraps for the same resistance with the Vapowire and they would argue this is a good thing. But the vape is slightly different. Some prefer it for it is a bit of a "denser" vape.

I am still using both types of wire in different configurations and have still not decided which i prefer.

My post is just pointing out the different resistance i am getting. Which leads me to believe they are different thicknesses. Yet both are supposedly 28g.

I am just curious if others have noticed this

Please guys, dont think i am saying that the vapowire is not good or that the Vapeking/SkyBlue wire is not good. They both work perfectly.

Some would say you can get more wraps for the same resistance with the Vapowire and they would argue this is a good thing. But the vape is slightly different. Some prefer it for it is a bit of a "denser" vape.

I am still using both types of wire in different configurations and have still not decided which i prefer.

My post is just pointing out the different resistance i am getting. Which leads me to believe they are different thicknesses. Yet both are supposedly 28g.

I am just curious if others have noticed this
I have a vernier, but not Vapor wire 28g only the ribbon. I have some Skyblue 26g, 28g 30g and 32g.
I will measure them this afternoon and then put the thicknesses up here.

I have a vernier, but not Vapor wire 28g only the ribbon. I have some Skyblue 26g, 28g 30g and 32g.
I will measure them this afternoon and then put the thicknesses up here.

Thanks @TylerD
I will keep some Vapowire and VK wire in my car in case we meet up then we can measure ;-)

Officer stops TylerD

"whats that for?"

"Oh that officer, its just in case I need to measure my wires"

Lol

I only have 28G Vapowire and here's my measurements:

Micrometer (Imperial): 0.13" or x 25.4 = 0.3302mm
Microm.jpg

Vernier (Metric): 0.33mm
Vern.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @johan!

I just love analog dials!

Hopefully we can get a measurement from @TylerD on the VK wire

But ideally we need both wires on the same measuring instrument.

the alloys should be different, giving you different readings.

for instance, for my darkest subohm coils I started using V2A wire. There the ohm reading is nearly half as compared to Kanthal. You can get also titanium wire at Zivipf, which is even lower

Last edited:
In this instance they are all Kanthal A1 @Tom - thus suppose to be exactly the same alloy, but suspect drawn at different thickness's.

According to manufacturing charts 28G should equate to 0.013 inches or 0.330 mm

In this instance they are all Kanthal A1 @Tom - thus suppose to be exactly the same alloy, but suspect drawn at different thickness's.

According to manufacturing charts 28G should equate to 0.013 inches or 0.330 mm
yeah, the difference on @Silver coils is too little. Might still be a difference in the alloys tho. different supplier/manufacturer

Thanks for the input @Tom

I think we are going to first try establish whether the thickness is the same or not

If they are the same thickness, then perhaps the difference in resistance is from a slightly different alloy.

source:
http://www.vapowire.com/pages/vape-knowledge

View attachment 13692

difference Zivipf --- Vapowire: 4.6ohm/ft --- 4.15ohm/ft

There u go ;)

Most interesting @Tom - thanks
So what you have shown there is that the same thickness Kanthal wire from two different suppliers have slightly different resistances.

Perhaps it's their "secret ingredient" they add to the wire that makes them slightly different. Or perhaps their measurement techniques are different. However, their resistances are about 10% apart. Interestingly, that is roughly the difference in percentage terms that I am getting - I am getting a bit more than that.

Thanks for the input @Tom

I think we are going to first try establish whether the thickness is the same or not

If they are the same thickness, then perhaps the difference in resistance is from a slightly different alloy.

For a second there I thought you boys were comparing swords :-D:-D:-D

I really should start reading from post number one :giggle:

:clap::clap::clap:

perhaps their measurement techniques are different.

Most just use a ruler... but I'm told string is more accurate?

Last edited:
Hi all

Has anyone noticed this?

@Silver i was just reading this thread. Did you see my post here: http://www.ecigssa.co.za/threads/28-guage-kanthal-note-the-difference.6500/#post-139481 (pardon the spelling ;))

post # 7

Back