The BF Derringer Thread

@VapeSnow one thing i have learned along my Reo vaping road, use as little as possible wick. Just enough to touch the bottom of the deck to get the juice to the coil. You dont have to stuff the deck with cotton
I did try it still same problem but i think the problem is with the reo. It needs a nice clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure, but I would have a look at the threading on the 510 screw, make sure it's screwed into the center post nicely. That default copper screw is tiny enough before you drill a hole through the center.
I think it is the Reo. Same built in my Odin and its also dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also check if the copper screw's head is completely flat. Sometimes the slot in the screw has small ridges or burrs on it which reduces the contact area.

Morning @Silver

Yea that is my coil of choice in the Derringer, seem to get a smoother vape with the flat kanthal. Good clouds and (for me) better taste than the round kanhal

Thanks @kimbo

Reason I asked is that I need to play a bit more with the flat kanthal

I only tried it once, several months ago with the Ekowool in the RM2. For my tobacco juices. It was nice and i gave it a fair chance but in the end i decided that i preferred normal microcoils with organic cotton.

Been meaning to try the ribbon kanthal again, but this time with a double wrap of ekowool, not a single like I did before.

Your post caught my eye because it was not ekowool, so was curious. I need to try the ribbon again with double strands of ekowool as well as cotton and Rayon.

Very neat coiling there. ID? How is the vape?
2.5mm ID. I'm still using those pre-built Kangertech Subtank coils for pretty much everything until I get some Kanthal so I didn't roll them myself.

I tried it for a very short time with Dischem organic cotton as I wanted to test it out after I bf'd it so I didn't do a very good job in the rush. The vape was great, not too far from the Nuppin actually but the wicking was terrible so I junked that and cleaned it out. I re-wicked it with some 2.3mm Silica lastnight so I will be trying that next and then will try a properly made cotton wick again.

@Andre this is the build with a 2.3mm Silica wick. Vaping Skyblue Ambrosia 3mg. have to say that it seems that vape a lot better overall.

It wicks better/faster than cotton on my other atties including the Nuppin. Not necessary to squonk a few times and let it soak after it sits for a while.

It seems to hold a lot more juice as well as I let it go for a while before squonking and never got a dry hit. I used to squonk every 2 to 3 toots on the other atties or risk a dry hit but here, it hasn't happened since I got home yesterday and squonking very rarely.

The flavour is actually brilliant. I think I get more in the inhale now and less on the exhale but very crisp and clean. I can taste the Ambrosia and nothing else.

The clouds seems to be about the same volume as the Nuppin although they don't feel as dense. A bit easier on the lungs. I do notice a little crackling sound occasionally , no spitting. I think this is because the Silica is 2.3mm and coil ID is 2.5mm so a gap for excess juice but I only have 2.3 & 1.5mm silica atm.

Nicotine delivery seems greater. Yiu can notice that goofed rush if vaping non-stop for a while and it's only 3mg.

20150513_083834.jpg

@Andre this is the build with a 2.3mm Silica wick. Vaping Skyblue Ambrosia 3mg. have to say that it seems that vape a lot better overall.

It wicks better/faster than cotton on my other atties including the Nuppin. Not necessary to squonk a few times and let it soak after it sits for a while.

It seems to hold a lot more juice as well as I let it go for a while before squonking and never got a dry hit. I used to squonk every 2 to 3 toots on the other atties or risk a dry hit but here, it hasn't happened since I got home yesterday and squonking very rarely.

The flavour is actually brilliant. I think I get more in the inhale now and less on the exhale but very crisp and clean. I can taste the Ambrosia and nothing else.

The clouds seems to be about the same volume as the Nuppin although they don't feel as dense. A bit easier on the lungs. I do notice a little crackling sound occasionally , no spitting. I think this is because the Silica is 2.3mm and coil ID is 2.5mm so a gap for excess juice but I only have 2.3 & 1.5mm silica atm.

Nicotine delivery seems greater. Yiu can notice that goofed rush if vaping non-stop for a while and it's only 3mg.

View attachment 27122
Glad it is working for you. That 2.3 mm is a very odd size, have never heard of it. You could double up the 1.5 mm and pull it through with dental floss.

Glad it is working for you. That 2.3 mm is a very odd size, have never heard of it. You could double up the 1.5 mm and pull it through with dental floss.
I did try doubling the 1.5mm and rolling and squeezing and the cut straw point trick but it just didn't want to go through.

I did try doubling the 1.5mm and rolling and squeezing and the cut straw point trick but it just didn't want to go through.
How does the "cut straw point trick" work?
This is how I used to pull through doubled silicone wicks with dental floss. Just stabilize the coil with your fingernail at the far end.
BpgJipS.jpg

Eish! I'll try to explain. I Googled how to thread Silica wick through coil as they kept getting open and a video popped up.

The easiest way for me to explain is (actually counds simpler than the video now that I think of it):

1. Get a thin straw and scissor.
2. Cut a piece of straw about 5cm (you will use this piece).
3. Then cut 1 end of the straw in an angle to create a point (see if you can get the angled cut about 1.5cm long but as pointy as you can get it)
4. Use the scissor to cut a slit the length of the straw on the shorter side (top of the point).
5. Open the slit and place silica tip in it before the point with extra coming out the non-pointy end.
6. Let 1 side of the slit wrap around the silica and then the other.
7. Now twist the pointy end through the coil. It will tighten and close around the wick to the size of the coil.
8. Pull the pointy end through and take out the straw that can be used over again and adjust your wick to the length of your liking and cut :)

Hope that helps. I'll take pictures sometimes and try to post but I'm very forgetful with these things so I might as well try and explain now.

PS: I was thinking of doing your trick with nylon fishing line instead of floss. There's a 3rd method as well that involves teflon tape that everyone is raving bout in the searches but no pictures or explanations, just "thanks for the teflon tape idea". I had to Google what teflon tape was and it turns out to be good old fashioned thread tape used in plumbing which I can't seem to find even though I know I have it. I will get some and try it out and let you know how that goes. I'm thinking that you literally wrap the silica end in it length wise with some extra sticking out which you can roll into nearly floss which you pull through the coil and will work similar to the straw method except it virtually no thickness so you can get a thicker silica in and the teflon will help it slide more easily without pulling the coil out of place.

Eish! I'll try to explain. I Googled how to thread Silica wick through coil as they kept getting open and a video popped up.

The easiest way for me to explain is (actually counds simpler than the video now that I think of it):

3. Then cut 1 end of the straw in an angle to create a point (see if you can get the angled cut about 1.5cm long but as pointy as you can get it)
4. Use the scissor to cut a slit the length of the straw on the shorter side (top of the point).
5. Open the slit and place silica tip in it before the point with extra coming out the non-pointy end.
7. Now twist the pointy end through the coil. It will tighten and close around the wick to the size of the coil.
8. Pull the pointy end through and take out the straw that can be used over again and adjust your wick to the length of your liking and cut :)

Hope that helps. I'll take pictures sometimes and try to post but I'm very forgetful with these things so I might as well try and explain now.

PS: I was thinking of doing your trick with nylon fishing line instead of floss. There's a 3rd method as well that involves teflon tape that everyone is raving bout in the searches but no pictures or explanations, just "thanks for the teflon tape idea". I had to Google what teflon tape was and it turns out to be good old fashioned thread tape used in plumbing which I can't seem to find even though I know I have it. I will get some and try it out and let you know how that goes. I'm thinking that you literally wrap the silica end in it length wise with some extra sticking out which you can roll into nearly floss which you pull through the coil and will work similar to the straw method except it virtually no thickness so you can get a thicker silica in and the teflon will help it slide more easily without pulling the coil out of place.
Man! You are my hero!
I always prefer the taste of silica but always wrap a dirty coil to use it as the kanthal doubled wick threading always cuts through.

I am currently using a dual parallel with jap in my derringer. May just pull it sooner to try the straw method. Thanks

Thanks, perfect explanation. Think with the dental floss method one should be able to apply a bit more force. And the dental floss it quite tough. I used Kanthal in the beginning, but that tends to cut the silica on the bend.

3 strands of 28G twisted together, 8 wraps per coil at 2.5mm ID, coming to 0.4 ohm.
Good flavor and decent clouds.

20150602_210418_resized.jpg

Back