The Clone zone

Jean claude Vaaldamme

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
So after all the talk about clones, I was actually surprise to see there is not even a thread for clones. Anyway so here is a thread, not to discuss the ethics but to show off or give a short review.

So never had a clone and as a few of us decided to do a group buy from fasttech, I saw a cheap clone popping up and decided lets see.
So I got the Limelight gloom "Styled" mech mod. Now first. It seems that styled is the new "cloned"
Anyway I have used it now for a week, so lets start with the biggest nagative.
The name. Clone if you want, but why use the name? Anyone that now a real Limelight will spot on a mile its fake. So why not just leave the name. Even the box have the name and logo. Or atleast name it Blacklight, Moonlight or something
IMG-20190321-WA0005.jpg
In the box is the mod with a squonk bottle, thats it nothing else. Ok there is some card with Japanese writing on it, but Im way to sober to understand it.
So after I ordered I read a review or two and the only negatives I could find was the poor paint job.
But seeing that with 15% discount it only cost R270, I did not really care and thought I will just give it a new paint job. To my surprise when it arrived the paint really was not bad. After a week still 100%, will it hold? I dont know if it will get chips, but all my authentic mods also have chips and scratches from use.
IMG-20190321-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20190321-WA0003.jpg
It has a springloaded connecter pin, the battery cap screw is smooth, squonk bottle is just amazing, better than any of the other 5 brands squonk bottles I have. The cap to hold squonk bottle in just pops out from pressure from bottle when you twist it, I have found that after a few days use, it does not want to pop out everytime, so bit of negative is you must squeeze squonk bottle to push down to get cap out. Not a problem if bottle is empty, but full bottle may be bit messy.
Everything else is just perferct. The fire button is a bit stiff to push, so some people may not like that, I prefer it like that, as Im enjoying this mod so much, I have been using it the last few days is my runabout, and with the power button as is, Im fairly confident that it cant fire while in my pocket.
Yes its probably made of cheap chinese plastic, but that is more of a possitive for me.
IMG_20190321_172703.jpg
133g that is with a battery inside. To give you an idea, a Topside weighs something like 193g without a battery. As for the plastic and cheap price it make that you dont care to use and abuse this great shape, size and weight as a daily driver, something most people will not do with the expensive authentic.
It also has a mosfet for some protection

So for now, the best money I have spend on any vape item, its like a pack of ciggies, if its broken(wet) or not to my taste, throw away and get another one. Its a tool to use for its purpose, and a great tool.

@Jean claude Vaaldamme Good for you for swimming against the current no-clone tide - and for having the guts to speak about it. :clap:

Personally, I couldn't care less whether someone is using an authentic mod or a clone - but I love people who swim against current opinion!

Clones for the win ....who cares if thats what ur budget can afford i say go for it

Ok so my next clone. The Airlab "styled" rda. Ok first must admit, I never heard of it. Did not know anything about it, just saw it as I was scrolling through th rda's on fasttech. I only bought it because It looked nice and I thought it will look good on the limelight clone.
And man am I impressed. Nevermind the looks, the flavour is great
IMG-20190315-WA0000.jpg
Cost with 15% discount R110.
Comes in this standard plastic little box. No name on box or even the atty. It had all the spare parts and tools with, standard and bf pin. And pin is protruding enough.
Machining is good. Top cap did struggle to slip back in when out the box, but after use and tehre is juice it is now loose and almost sensitive to touch
The build is not that easy, nothing major, but these decks that just have a screw top holding down the coil is a bit finicky and coil slips out easy.
Did watch a video on authentic and the said you must take coil back around screw as the top cap is close to screw and if you cut coil there it can short on topcap. This top cap is plastic, so no problem
On review they also said coil a bit skew because juice well sits skew. I did a straight build and scew, and get much better flavour from the skew coil build
IMG-20190321-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20190321-WA0001.jpg
Juice wells is nice and deep, so not to much sqounking.
If airholes fully open you get a hint of the wasp nano whistle.
Flavour also not that great with open airholes, but that may be more because I build high ohm builds for a cool low watt vape.
But if you restrict the holes you can get a very restricted lung hit, even mtl. And then the flavour just pops, much better than any other mtl attys I have
Another great buy, it has its flaws like maybe bit of whistle if you going huge airflow, but for my use its perfect, will maybe get a ss driptip for it.
Oh and did I mention its pretty

...and a new can of worms opened...

Just a brief "long term" review on a clone which I bought about two years ago.

The Boxer clone was one of the first batch in the recent squonk revival. It is still available and costs less than $ 9.

It weighs in at just 46g and is made from "indestructible" ABS nylon. It has a lockable switch and an 8ml bottle.
It is really tiny :

DEPTH 24.8 mm (it can take a 24mm RDA without overhang)
HEIGHT 74.5 mm
WIDTH 44.5 mm

For almost two years this mod has been used almost daily. I travel to work using my latest authentic gear of the moment, but when I'm at work the Boxer clone comes out and is used for the rest of the day. I make custom furniture in an environment which is a torture chamber for vape gear. It has been dropped countless times and has even been stepped on. Ask those who know me, I'm not a lightweight.

The paint has been amazing. It has rubbed off a little around the switch and in a couple of spots when it has fallen. The only maintenance, apart from general cleaning of terminals, is the odd tweak of the firing mechanism. A 30s job and it's good for another nine months.

7956100-2.jpg

I liked this mod so much that I have recently invested a little over a hundred SA bucks on a new one. I will however not retire the old one. I have too much respect for it.

This has been my experience with it. Results may vary. Maybe I will update on the progress of the new one in two years time.

The Boxer clone was one of the first batch in the recent squonk revival. It is still available and costs less than $ 9.

It weighs in at just 46g and is made from "indestructible" ABS nylon. It has a lockable switch and an 8ml bottle.
It is really tiny :

HEIGHT 74.5 mm
WIDTH 44.5 mm

For almost two years this mod has been used almost daily. I travel to work using my latest authentic gear of the moment, but when I'm at work the Boxer clone comes out and is used for the rest of the day. I make custom furniture in an environment which is a torture chamber for vape gear. It has been dropped countless times and has even been stepped on. Ask those who know me, I'm not a lightweight.

The paint has been amazing. It has rubbed off a little around the switch and in a couple of spots when it has fallen. The only maintenance, apart from general cleaning of terminals, is the odd tweak of the firing mechanism. A 30s job and it's good for another nine months.

7956100-2.jpg

I liked this mod so much that I have recently invested a little over a hundred SA bucks on a new one. I will however not retire the old one. I have too much respect for it.

This has been my experience with it. Results may vary. Maybe I will update on the progress of the new one in two years time.

Just FIY, ABS and Nylon are two very different plastics. I do 3D printing and they behave different and have different properties. I've printed with both before. So I don't know why they say it's made of "ABS Nylon"....lol

My clone experience has been with the bb.

My Sxk bb has never ever ever given me a second of trouble and I’ve had it for ages.

Like @Puff the Magic Dragon i am rough on my mods as well (I work in the scrap metal industry)

This poor little bb has been through the wars and keeps on going.

While not “cheap” in the broader sense of the word like the boxer at $9 it was still a fraction of the cost of an authentic and I love it.

My Sxk bb has never ever ever given me a second of trouble and I’ve had it for ages.

Like @Puff the Magic Dragon i am rough on my mods as well (I work in the scrap metal industry)

While not “cheap” in the broader sense of the word like the boxer at $9 it was still a fraction of the cost of an authentic and I love it.
This thread is a clone of "whats in your hand right now" , dont be shy, show her in all her glory:-D

Just FIY, ABS and Nylon are two very different plastics. I do 3D printing and they behave different and have different properties. I've printed with both before. So I don't know why they say it's made of "ABS Nylon"....lol
Thats why I just call it cheap chinese plastic, at 10-20 dolla, who cares what its made off.

Well it has a chip in and a few parts, so it cant be $10 as the straight mechs that has nothing.
Interesting, as I did a bit of search on the clones, apart from the BB you dont really seem to find clones of regulated mods. It seems they only clone mechs and attys.
I know people say the Pico's at chinamall is clones, but I cant seem to find these cloned, Pico styled mods on the chinese websites

Perhaps because the switch and the body are made from different types of plastic. All I know is that the body is as tough as nails

nice thread!
Abt the only clone I have had (not saying I was able to afford much before this) that im so pleased with. Think this restricted hit from the BB (CLONE) and then my mtl from the siren2 22mm is my happy place in vaping
IMG_20190322_111155.jpg

It is really tiny :

HEIGHT 74.5 mm
WIDTH 44.5 mm

7956100-2.jpg

@Puff the Magic Dragon It's interesting getting a long-term review - just shows, there's more to these clones than people give them credit for.

The Billet Box clones are made by SXK.

IMO the best quality clones are made by SXK, YFTK, Coppervape and Kindbright.

I have however bought excellent clones from other unknown manufacturers.

Ok so my next clone. The Airlab "styled" rda. Ok first must admit, I never heard of it. Did not know anything about it, just saw it as I was scrolling through th rda's on fasttech. I only bought it because It looked nice and I thought it will look good on the limelight clone.
And man am I impressed. Nevermind the looks, the flavour is great
View attachment 161295
Cost with 15% discount R110.
Comes in this standard plastic little box. No name on box or even the atty. It had all the spare parts and tools with, standard and bf pin. And pin is protruding enough.
Machining is good. Top cap did struggle to slip back in when out the box, but after use and tehre is juice it is now loose and almost sensitive to touch
The build is not that easy, nothing major, but these decks that just have a screw top holding down the coil is a bit finicky and coil slips out easy.
Did watch a video on authentic and the said you must take coil back around screw as the top cap is close to screw and if you cut coil there it can short on topcap. This top cap is plastic, so no problem
On review they also said coil a bit skew because juice well sits skew. I did a straight build and scew, and get much better flavour from the skew coil build
View attachment 161296
View attachment 161297
Juice wells is nice and deep, so not to much sqounking.
If airholes fully open you get a hint of the wasp nano whistle.
Flavour also not that great with open airholes, but that may be more because I build high ohm builds for a cool low watt vape.
But if you restrict the holes you can get a very restricted lung hit, even mtl. And then the flavour just pops, much better than any other mtl attys I have
Another great buy, it has its flaws like maybe bit of whistle if you going huge airflow, but for my use its perfect, will maybe get a ss driptip for it.
Oh and did I mention its pretty
How long did you wait for delivery from fastech?

Ok just an correction. In my original post I said anyone will spot a fake Limelight on a mile.

So I have been to 3 vapeshops and as soon as I put my fake Limelight with fake Airlab rda on the counter while chatting, they immediatly start taking out juices for me to test, get ipads out to sign me in to their loyalty programs and start complimenting my beautifull mod:-D. If Pamela Anderson can fool them, so can I.

Back