The Coily

I like this. It's a very useful tool. Will be watching that facebook page.

Could have prevented me cutting my coil leg short for my Kylin Mini

We should get a similar thing printed here in sa.

Where is the 3d printer dudes. ????

We should get a similar thing printed here in sa.

Where is the 3d printer dudes. ????

I can probably design something similar when I get the time. I have a printer as well. Will give it a go. Looks like that one was printed with a very high end 3D printer. Mine is but midrange, but will try.

I can probably design something similar when I get the time. I have a printer as well. Will give it a go. Looks like that one was printed with a very high end 3D printer. Mine is but midrange, but will try.

Oh wow. Thanks for the offer @zadiac i know a couple of forumites will be interested ao you might get get a buck or two out of it. And you will be entitled to it. Let us know how the design is going.

U have a 3d printer !!

Not as finely designed as the authentic, but I suppose it will do the job. Just something to note. Lots of printing and resizing will have to happen as 3D printers, especially the midrange to lower end printers do not print very precise. You make a 3mm hole in a design, and the printer might print it 2.7mm. It happens. So it will take a while before I have this thing as precise as possible.

coilie%201.png

coilie%202.png

Not as finely designed as the authentic, but I suppose it will do the job. Just something to note. Lots of printing and resizing will have to happen as 3D printers, especially the midrange to lower end printers do not print very precise. You make a 3mm hole in a design, and the printer might print it 2.7mm. It happens. So it will take a while before I have this thing as precise as possible.

coilie%201.png

coilie%202.png

Take my money !!!

Guys, as I am not a vendor, please do not make offers as I'm not going to make this commercially. I will not make money off of someone else's design. I will share my 3D design freely, but please do not ask me to print this for you for money. If you can find someone with a printer who will make this for you, then do it. I made this design because I can definitely use it (don't know why I haven't thought of this first, but ok...).

I will post the 3D file as soon as I perfect the measurements on this. Then you can give the file to someone with a printer and they can print it for you. I will also include the 3D printer settings that I use to print it.

@zadiac, would it not work better to turn the measurement placements 180 degrees around ?
Trying to shove snips into the 3 mm slot is going to be tricky, unless you space it much wider, while if it's open-ended on the 'bottom', it will not be a problem getting snips in flush for any of the 'steps' at all.
Not sure how that would affect the rigidity of the item though.

@zadiac, would it not work better to turn the measurement placements 180 degrees around ?
Trying to shove snips into the 3 mm slot is going to be tricky, unless you space it much wider, while if it's open-ended on the 'bottom', it will not be a problem getting snips in flush for any of the 'steps' at all.
Not sure how that would affect the rigidity of the item though.

You can insert you coils leads from the bottom and snip at the top.
Also, the "3mm" slot is not 3mm wide where you put the leads in. The platform at the bottom about 6mm wide. I think a coil would fit in there and then you just trim at the top of the jig.

Last edited:
@Kuhlkatz, but let me print one first and test that possible problem. If it is a problem, then I'll tweak the design a bit.

@Kuhlkatz,

As you can see, the space can easily take a 7mm OD coil and then you can trim leads on the other side. I slanted the right side next to the 3mm "step" a little to make more room. What do you think?

Coil%20representation.png

You can insert you coils leads from the bottom and snip at the top.
Also, the "3mm" slot is not 3mm wide where you put the leads in. The platform at the bottom about 6mm wide. I think a coil would fit in there and then you just trim at the top of the jig.

Ah @zadiac, I see what you mean. Lightbulb moment there, as there is more than one way to skin a katz ;)
If the coil fits in quite easy, it would make much more sense to snip flush at the top, and you would still retain the rigidity of the support on three sides. The slant there would definitely help, but inserting the coil from the bottom makes more sense and would really only be a small issue on the 3mm slot if not present.

Would be cool to not copy the original but try and improve on it ... Perhaps a smaller version that one can place in the build kit bag. Rough idea below...

upload_2018-3-18_20-2-15.png

Would be cool to not copy the original but try and improve on it ... Perhaps a smaller version that one can place in the build kit bag. Rough idea below...

View attachment 126323

Good idea, but mine is 98mm by 31mm. Small enough to fit just about anywhere, even in your pocket :)

@zadiac just a bump on progress. Or has it been one of those weeks. Looking forward to this

Just a bit caught up in work. Farmers are stubborn people. Meetings, meetings and more meetings. I'm so pushed by the time I get off work, I'm not in the mood for much other than sleep......lol. I will try my best over this weekend to print a prototype.

Just a bit caught up in work. Farmers are stubborn people. Meetings, meetings and more meetings. I'm so pushed by the time I get off work, I'm not in the mood for much other than sleep......lol. I will try my best over this weekend to print a prototype.
Nice. No rush. Just reminding you

Nice. No rush. Just reminding you

If all goes well, I'll be printing this tomorrow morning.

Im so hyped for this, my campus has a 3D printer that ill be able to use ( hopefully)

Hey folks,

Sorry I took so long, but yeah.........I have issues.

Anyway. Printed my (second) design and it came out ok(ish)

My PLA plastic is finished, so I had to print it in wood filament, but the measurements are accurate with around 0.05-0.1 tolerance, which is not bad for coil leads anyway. It's not as flashy and well rounded as the original design, but it's a tool and won't be on display.

Here are some pics, but keep in mind, it's my first time printing in wood filament and there are some issues, but it works.

Coilie%20v2%20bottom.jpg

Coilie%20v2%20top.jpg

I also designed another coil lead measure as suggested by @haruspex and I'll include its 3D model file together with the Coily here. The measurements are the same, so it'll work. It's slightly bigger, but with more space to place the coils for trimming the leads. I haven't printed it yet, but here are some screenshots of the design.

Coil%20lead%20measure%20top.png

Coil%20lead%20measure%20bottom.png

And here are the files:

CoilieV2

Coil Lead Measure V2

Back