The Digiflavor DF 200 mod - positives & negatives

Waine

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
I saw this on one of my favorite vape shop websites in Dec 18. The price was marked down to an almost unbelievably low, "Festive season sale" price. So I asked myself, "How crappy must a 3 cell mod be to be on a sale for R389?" As usual, I Googled, and You Tubed it first. I discovered that the reviews were generally positive, with a few niggles here and there. Of course Jai Haze hated it so much I thought he was going to smash it with his infamous 4 pound hammer.

I had to find out for myself why this 3 cell mod is so ridiculously cheap, and how it performs, so I picked one up.

The positives

The mod holds three 18650 batteries. Battery life is insanely long.

It fires up relatively quickly. I don't know how many nanoseconds, but it is definitely fast to respond. This is something I enjoy about a mod.

It looks and feels OK in my hand. I have no vaping friends, or vaping family so aesthetics are low on my list of vaping preferences. I have the freedom of choice, and only I must live with what I choose to buy. My acid test is, how long will a mod last until its brain short circuits? Or until the battery door breaks. (Like my expensive Double Barrel) I have had no less than 10 mods just stop working on me in 3 years of my 'Vape Acquisition disorder madness'.

The coating is a pleasant mat textured finish.

Some reviewers claim there is a battery door rattle. When I shake mine with batteries in and a tank on, I get no door rattle. I do get a bit of the up and down button rattle. But who shakes their mods while vaping, anyway? When I squeeze it in my hand, though, there is some slight metal movement. Its almost as if the mod is slightly squishy, for want of a better word. But I have now stopped squeezing mine, so it bugs me no more.

The fire button is a nice big, shiny knob that is hard and clicky.

The price! I paid just over the equivalent of a 100ml bottle of juice for the mod. Its almost unbelievable. If you buy this mod, you basically have very little to lose if you dont like it.

Overall, it is constructed OK, and will fit most 30mm tanks with no overhang.

Personally, I am enjoying mine as a new workhorse to accommodate my newly found enjoyment of 30mm tanks.

The negatives

The DF 200 is heavy, some may liken it to a three cell, 'battle tank' of a mod. Definitely not a mod you will take on a roadtrip. It is super pocket, and vape-bag unfriendly. The DF200 will live on your desk, period.

It is big. If you have small hands, you probably won't like it. But with medium to biggish hands, the size may not worry you.

Due to the construction, if your tank leaks or condenses, you may easily get liquid on the batteries. See the last pic for an explanation. However, I place a pre cut, absorbent 24mm cardboard "o-ring" under all my tanks to prevent this.

The screen "glass", or "plastic" looks cheap. The screen display is tacky and does not flip around. Also, depending on which angle you are looking, the screen display hides pieces of the displayed information. This will certainly irritate the life out of some users.

The VW setting goes up and down in settings of .5, not .1. For example; 30.5, to 31, 31.5, to 32, and so on. This is not an issue for me though.

The battery removal ribbon must not be cut as it is very difficult to remove the first battery without it. I made the mistake of cutting my first ribbon.

Here is the biggest bug bear. Although the onboard charging port is well positioned, you cannot charge the mod with the external cable provided, or any other charging cable. I tried many different cables with zero indication on the display showing that the mod is charging. So if you do not own an external battery charger, you are literally unable to use this mod. Unless it is a factory fault, that enables it to charge with a cable, but does not indicate that it is in fact charging. This is probably the reason why not even a beginner on a tight budget will not touch this.

I always use an external battery charger, so this is no issue for me.

Closing remarks

The Digiflavor DF 200 is a pleasant, somewhat antiquated, no nonsense, cheap, desk, home, or office "workhorse" box mod. I never use any Temperature control or other features on any mod, so for me vaping in plain VW is sufficient. However, I tried the Temperature Control on this mod with a SS build, and guess what? It is so easy to use, and it actually works brilliantly!

For the price, this was a massive bargain and it does not owe me much. The mod keeps me satisfied despite the negatives as stated. If it breaks, I have not lost much cash. It is the complete opposite of 'High end', in fact 'Low end' is an understatement.

Being a simple VW vaper, I picked up another one, just for the sake of owning two value for money, three cell mods that are the cheapest mods (for what I got) I have ever owned.

I hope this helps a potential bargain hunter, on the lookout for an acceptable 3 cell mod.

The question to ask is this: "Is cheap always nasty?" I guess the answer is in proportion to your wallet size, your tolerance to small factory faults, and how much you care about what your fellow vapers think about you.
560ba3fbef308df967fd3e452eab1bbf.jpg
4fb387af9dd0f2e2913ef2b0dfc49a2e.jpg
649baa52c81bcb95dd797d3940ff1284.jpg
96ce77b562c35fb7548242380c56be14.jpg
414c7ebe6160ec6eddc140bab8a844bd.jpg
363ca04cb5791e45ac537364a3783f7c.jpg
6df9beb3de26dfd05b623f171a1ad480.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

At a price like that you really can't go wrong. Thanks for the detailed review @Waine .

Even if it only lasts for a year it will have been worth buying. One can view cheaper mods as being disposable but some of them last forever.
"Vaping with Vic" seems to think that it will last, and calls it a solid workhorse device which should take a hammering. If I can get one for that price I would also give it a go.

Great review @Waine - and lovely photos!
Thanks

Not mad about mods that have a screen so close to the tank on top

But I guess at the price this is a great workhorse as you say

A Kylin on a mod with a top screen, sir you must be bravest man to walk the face of the planet.

A Kylin on a mod with a top screen, sir you must be bravest man to walk the face of the planet.
Lol, yep the original Kylin leaked really bad but actually the Kylin II is above average in that department they are like chalk and cheese but it's a case that mud sticks!

Back