The Odin Thread

I was quite busy tonight, but decided to try the Odin in any case :)
I am not getting the flavour I expected, but I also didn't look at any of the veteran coils and wicking in this thread, so I probably screwed it all up. I should stop being so impatient with these things :)

28AWG Kanthal A1
6 wraps dual coils
0.6Ohm
030916137fd74804ca74029e67b21eff.jpg

60a1242116fb00c88bdac2ca66c8319d.jpg

I was quite busy tonight, but decided to try the Odin in any case :)
I am not getting the flavour I expected, but I also didn't look at any of the veteran coils and wicking in this thread, so I probably screwed it all up. I should stop being so impatient with these things :)

28AWG Kanthal A1
6 wraps dual coils
0.6Ohm
030916137fd74804ca74029e67b21eff.jpg

60a1242116fb00c88bdac2ca66c8319d.jpg

Just some pointers that might help.

- Try getting your coils slightly closer to the air slots.

- Angle the coils in such a way that the front part of it faces the air slot.

- Use the far negative post. This allows for more room for your wick and better control to move the coil into a good position.

- In terms of coil height, I find that when looking at the side profile of the Odin, half of the coil is visible, and the other half is hidden ( I hope that makes sense? Lol it makes sense in my head right now but not sure what it will sleep like tomorrow when I read this again)

- Can't tell because of the picture but it seems as though you might have too much wick. Also the one side of the wick seems to be "squashed" and the wick is unevenly distributed along the length of the coil.

Granted this was all a bit rushed for you I would say that your setup looks great to get a decent result.

Once you have some more time and get another setup going, let us know about your findings with the Odin. :)

I am having the same with my Odin

I am quite surprised by this, the supplier sent me additional copper screws with this batch which have a few mm of additional thread so they were all fitted with the spacer/washer. Please see if yours is in place on the copper screw, maybe I skipped one? Please be careful with the copper screw though, don't over tighten it, it being hollow they can snap off.

Plenty of surface area so tons of flavour and the ramp up time on the 30g is near instant, give it a try if you haven't already.

Nice paracoils @Gambit

I too am a big fan of paracoils in my RM2
Have used 30g for some time, but single of course, not dual like the Odin
I agree, great flavour and fast ramp up - also virtually no ramp down or afterburner

Only recently tried the same with 28g and also good

I am quite surprised by this, the supplier sent me additional copper screws with this batch which have a few mm of additional thread so they were all fitted with the spacer/washer. Please see if yours is in place on the copper screw, maybe I skipped one? Please be careful with the copper screw though, don't over tighten it, it being hollow they can snap off.
Nice paracoils @Gambit

I too am a big fan of paracoils in my RM2
Have used 30g for some time, but single of course, not dual like the Odin
I agree, great flavour and fast ramp up - also virtually no ramp down or afterburner

Only recently tried the same with 28g and also good

I need to get some 29g wire, to test out this afterburn thing.

Just some pointers that might help.

- Try getting your coils slightly closer to the air slots.

- Angle the coils in such a way that the front part of it faces the air slot.

- Use the far negative post. This allows for more room for your wick and better control to move the coil into a good position.

- In terms of coil height, I find that when looking at the side profile of the Odin, half of the coil is visible, and the other half is hidden ( I hope that makes sense? Lol it makes sense in my head right now but not sure what it will sleep like tomorrow when I read this again)

- Can't tell because of the picture but it seems as though you might have too much wick. Also the one side of the wick seems to be "squashed" and the wick is unevenly distributed along the length of the coil.

Granted this was all a bit rushed for you I would say that your setup looks great to get a decent result.

Once you have some more time and get another setup going, let us know about your findings with the Odin. :)

Thanks @Yiannaki I knew some veteran will be around to help me improve :)
First thing I did this morning was close the airflow from both full open to both half open ... BOOM, much better flavour.
Couple of comments on your comments :)
Coil height is currently half-half over the "rim". Learnt this from @Silver with the RM2 build.

I wanted to get the coils closer to the edge, but the wiggle centre pin messed me around, so I just left it as is .. hehehe. Told you I am impatient ;)
When you say the "front" part of the coil should face the air slot, what do you see as the front part?
Far negative post? I am using both posts for the dual coils.

Regarding the wicking: Yeah, I also thought I might have a bit too much in there, so when I disassemble to check for the spacer, I will rewick, and potentially rebuild/re-position the coils.

On my way to the office I was thinking: Not really fair to compare flavour to the RM2, as the RM2 is on 1Ohm, and the Odin on 0.6Ohm ... so when I rebuild I will go for 1Ohm to compare properly.

Initial findings: Stop doing everything in a rush to play with the new toys ... with the airflow adjusted I am very happy with the Odin. And with some playing I am sure I can get it even better.

First thing I did this morning was close the airflow from both full open to both half open ... BOOM, much better flavour.
Coil height is currently half-half over the "rim". Learnt this from @Silver with the RM2 build.

I wanted to get the coils closer to the edge, but the wiggle centre pin messed me around, so I just left it as is .. hehehe. Told you I am impatient ;)
When you say the "front" part of the coil should face the air slot, what do you see as the front part?

Regarding the wicking: Yeah, I also thought I might have a bit too much in there, so when I disassemble to check for the spacer, I will rewick, and potentially rebuild/re-position the coils.

On my way to the office I was thinking: Not really fair to compare flavour to the RM2, as the RM2 is on 1Ohm, and the Odin on 0.6Ohm ... so when I rebuild I will go for 1Ohm to compare properly.

Initial findings: Stop doing everything in a rush to play with the new toys ... with the airflow adjusted I am very happy with the Odin. And with some playing I am sure I can get it even better.
@LandyMan you should be able to get plenty flavour with the airflow wide open. Check out @Yiannaki 's builds, he has a really cool way of attaching the coils to the far post instead of the close one, I'm pretty sure this gives the coil better airflow/ surface area and will help a ton with the flavour production. I think I get better flavour on my odin with the air holes wide open than I do on my RM2 at any resistance.

26134af5bf96a13cb62f7e2536e8cbd7.jpg

8 Wraps, 26g, 1.8mm mandrel, 0.55ohms

Message sent via tapatalk

Last edited:
@LandyMan you should be able to get plenty flavour with the airflow wide open. Check out @Yiannaki 's builds, he has a really cool way of attaching the coils to the far post instead of the close one, I'm pretty sure this gives the coil better airflow/ surface area and will help a ton with the flavour production. I think I get better flavour on my odin with the air holes wide open than I do on my RM2 at any resistance.
Thanks @Gambit will have a look through the thread and play around a bit over the weekend. I am sure by just reducing the Rayon it will also make quite a difference

Thanks @Gambit will have a look through the thread and play around a bit over the weekend. I am sure by just reducing the Rayon it will also make quite a difference
I prefer vertical coils on the Odin, and quite near the posts to prevent juice bridging to the air slits.
J4601eX.jpg

By the way, a dual coil at 0.6 ohms implies two 1.2 ohm coils - not as much power going to each of them as you may think.

Lets assume a 4,2V fresh battery

On the 1 ohm single coil in the RM2 - that's about 17 Watts.

On the 0.6 ohm dual setup in the Odin - that's a total of 29.4 Watts. But that is shared between the two coils - so about 14.7 Watts each. So although the total resistance is much lower, the final power delivered to each coil is a bit less.

By the way, a dual coil at 0.6 ohms implies two 1.2 ohm coils - not as much power going to each of them as you may think.

Lets assume a 4,2V fresh battery

On the 1 ohm single coil in the RM2 - that's about 17 Watts.

On the 0.6 ohm dual setup in the Odin - that's a total of 29.4 Watts. But that is shared between the two coils - so about 14.7 Watts each. So although the total resistance is much lower, the final power delivered to each coil is a bit less.
Jip, that's why I want to adjust the resistance to be more in line with the RM2 for a proper comparison.

7 wraps 28g at .7ohm

Monster flavour and huge cloud .

Thanks @Andre seems vertical is the way to go with the Odin .20150115_121933-1.jpg 20150115_122012-1.jpg 20150115_122753-1.jpg

The only problem with having so little wick, long lung hits.

Back