The ongoing media war on E-cigs and Vaping industry

Im actually at a point now where the love of vaping has diminished as a result of the continued harassment. Im actually thinking about quitting. im sick and tired of explaining to every tom **** and harry
Even my older brother stopped vaping and went back to smokes just because of the false information distributed by the media and the US

@RichJB They were not vaping e-liquid. They were vaping TeeHCee so your argument is a non sequitar.

Earlier in the thread, @Silver informed that some of the victims are saying they weren't vaping THC. I presume that is what sparked the question I responded to - that it surely couldn't be flavours.

This from the Guardian:

State and federal public health officials have yet to identify the specific element making people sick. But the California department of public health reports that almost all people with lung damage from vaping say that they vaped or “dabbed” the cannabis products THC and CBD in cartridges, waxes, oils, and other forms, while some people report vaping only nicotine.

My inclination is to believe that those saying they weren't vaping THC are simply trying to hide the fact from the parents or families. There is still a stigma attached to marijuana in many places so there would be motive for people to deny using it. But if they are telling the truth then the case becomes even more mystifying.

Im actually at a point now where the love of vaping has diminished as a result of the continued harassment. Im actually thinking about quitting. im sick and tired of explaining to every tom **** and harry

Look on the bright side. At least you no longer have to put up with strangers coming up to you and wanting to try out your vape.

Last edited:
Because it's a new development. The risks from smoking are known so it's not shocking when people continue to die from it.

Let me illustrate with an analogy. Your next door neighbour switches on his DSTV decoder and it explodes, killing him instantly. You phone DSTV to find out what's up and they tell you "Ja boet but twenty okes died in road accidents today, now you're worried about one oke dying from his decoder? Why aren't you phoning Toyota and complaining to them about the twenty deaths?" It's because we know people die on the roads, it's not shocking to us. But we shouldn't be dying from our decoder.

Some of the people who have died or got really ill have only been vaping for a few months. They shouldn't be dying from it.
Any store bought stuff from a reputable vendor will not kill anyone

If you throw brake fluid in your cereal and eat it then you will get sick

That is what's happining now, you get drug dealers selling pods and cartridges to get kids high and adding all kinds of shit to thin the oils the drug market is trying to use VAPE DEVICES as a method to consume all kinds of drugs discreetly and that is hurting our industry

Vaping on its own is a cool and evolving industry, now you add the alure of a concentrated high to it.... And that is where all this shit is happening

Think about it this way... There is nothing sexy about a meth head using a meth pipe to do his drugs or a pothead building a joint on a bench in a park where kids play.

Even my older brother stopped vaping and went back to smokes just because of the false information distributed by the media and the US
Did you see the Steve Hofmeyr DSTV debackle

Just ask those that is harrasing you if they joined in on the decoder smashing as well? That would kill any argument

It's very simple for a blood test to be taken to see if there is THC in the body. Strange that the CDC has not instructed this be done when providing guidelines/ instructions for physicians to follow when patients present with these respiratory problems

I suppose it goes towards freedoms and appropriate medical ethics. These people are not on trial and are not accused of any wrongdoing. Forcing them to submit to a test which establishes the veracity of their testimony is probably deemed excessive.

The test might also be misleading in terms of medical evidence. It is conceivable that someone got sick from vaping a non-THC cartridge, but also smokes marijuana occasionally. Would the test be able to differentiate between THC from smoking weed and from vaping a THC cartridge?

Agreed - always better to be calm and collected

By the way, I couldn’t place his accent. At one point I thought he may have been an ex-South African. Then I heard a bit of the Australian accent.
Prof David Abrams is a South African, having done a BSc (hons) in Psychology and Computer Science at Wits. He has held very senior positions in various organisations in the USA, mostly related to tobacco harm reduction

I suppose it goes towards freedoms and appropriate medical ethics. These people are not on trial and are not accused of any wrongdoing. Forcing them to submit to a test which establishes the veracity of their testimony is probably deemed excessive.

The test might also be misleading in terms of medical evidence. It is conceivable that someone got sick from vaping a non-THC cartridge, but also smokes marijuana occasionally. Would the test be able to differentiate between THC from smoking weed and from vaping a THC cartridge?
It's not a case of protecting freedoms, it's required to identify a cause. If the CDC requires blood tests be done, there is very little one can do about it, except maybe on religious grounds. No one is accusing them of wrong doing (except maybe their parents). The physicians need to ask the questions, but then follow up with tests as people may not be aware of the importance of something they took or try to hide it.

The test will probably not be able to differentiate whether the THC was smoked or vaped, in fact highly unlikely. However, medical professionals will then be able to direct their questions even more to get closer to the truth.

The truth may, though, be too inconvenient to some.

Marijuana is still illegal in many states. The federal govt ordering doctors to do blood tests, which could later be used as evidence that the patient committed a crime, is not going to go down well with American voters.

Calafornia has urged people to stop vaping due to the obvious dangers . The CEO of Juul has quit and PMI has pulled out of merger talks . The writing is on the wall . Stop vaping before you payb the ultimate price

Calafornia has urged people to stop vaping due to the obvious dangers . The CEO of Juul has quit and PMI has pulled out of merger talks . The writing is on the wall . Stop vaping before you payb the ultimate price

The CEO of Juul quiting is most likely the best thing to come out of this.

I’ll take my chance with the reduced harm, even if it is just 30% safer, bargain. Since I started vaping I can breathe and climb stairs again, proof is in the pudding, so screw California, if they want to keep on dying go ahead. Best news with Juul ceo quitting, maybe some agreement or improvements can now be made.

Just hit me, is California not one of the states that is most likely to default on the “smokers bonds” due to dropping sales?

The ignorance of others makes me very angry, when someone opens their mouth to tell me vaping is bad, i have to keep my calm because this very thing that has made me a much healthier person than when i was smoking is being threatened by stupid ignorant people who don't even vape sitting there on their high horses puffing those disgusting, smelly coffin nails....
I don't understand why my freedom is being traded for their profits.

I had such a lovely experience today. A waitress - a young lass who finished school last year only - asked me about the vaping deaths. She doesn't vape but a friend of hers does. Her friend had told her that it's got nothing to do with vaping per se, but she wanted a second opinion. She was really interested in listening to me. What a pleasant change to speak to someone who really listens and who really wants correct information. She is a shining example of how people should be!

Maybe vaping will be let off the hook now that Trump has bigger problems to worry about ... maybe ...

Those that said they dont vape THC didn't say they not vaping CBD either.

Earlier in the thread, @Silver informed that some of the victims are saying they weren't vaping THC. I presume that is what sparked the question I responded to - that it surely couldn't be flavours.

This from the Guardian:

My inclination is to believe that those saying they weren't vaping THC are simply trying to hide the fact from the parents or families. There is still a stigma attached to marijuana in many places so there would be motive for people to deny using it. But if they are telling the truth then the case becomes even more mystifying.

Look on the bright side. At least you no longer have to put up with strangers coming up to you and wanting to try out your vape.

Walmart Dumps Vaping
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/news/vaping-news/2019-09-23_walmart-dumps-vaping.html
23 Sept. 2019

"Walmart ...has made the decision to drop all vaping products from its stores. Its slogan “Save money, live better” rings a bit hollow as it denies safer nicotine products to its customers but continues to profit from tobacco product sales.

[...]

Tony Abboud, executive director of the Vapor Technology Association, commented: “The fact that Walmart is reducing access for adult smokers to regulated vapour products while continuing to sell combustible cigarettes is irresponsible. This will drive former adult smokers to purchase more cigarettes. Science has demonstrated that vaping as a substitute for smoking saves lives.”

Responding to the rampant gun-related deaths, Walmart made the decision to restrict sales of some ammunition and ban open carry, but still sells a wide range of guns. It is not removing cigarettes from sale because of proven links to cancer.

The American Vaping Association is a non-profit organisation that advocates for fair and sensible regulation of vapor products. Its President, Gregory Conley, said in a statement: “You know you are in the middle of a moral panic when big corporations like Walmart find it is easier to sell deadly combustible tobacco products than to sell harm reduction alternatives. Removing vaping products from shelves will do nothing to stop drug dealers from continuing to sell contaminated marijuana oil cartridges on the street. This is like 7-Eleven announcing they’ll no longer be selling beer and wine because some people went blind from drinking moonshine made in a bathtub.”

“This is the natural consequence of a seemingly never-ending stream of misleading news stories and over the top pronouncements from elected officials. This is a good month to be a cigarette manufacturer.”

Trade group The National Association of Convenience Stores announced that it would not be recommending similar action for its members. Senior vice president Lyle Beckwith said: “We are not scientists, we are retailers. Our job is to sell legal products responsibly.”

"Quoting from the above article on Walmart:

"" It is not removing cigarettes from sale because of proven links to cancer." ???

and "This is a good month to be a cigarette manufacturer.” Say no more.

"" It is not removing cigarettes from sale because of proven links to cancer." ???

It is clumsy and ambiguous wording, the journalist should have phrased it more clearly. "Despite" would work better than "because of" to convey what they mean.

It is clumsy and ambiguous wording, the journalist should have phrased it more clearly. "Despite" would work better than "because of" to convey what they mean.
I think this statement attests to the absurdity of this whole situation.

Back