The ongoing media war on E-cigs and Vaping industry

The part that is strange is that not all the young folk hospitalized were vaping THC with Vitamin E acetate. Some said they weren’t vaping THC. Which then begs the question, what were they vaping?

I believe a lot of them didn't want to admit that they were using THC. So the easy way out will be to blame nicotine vape products.

The biggest question is.... If 1300 Americans die per day of cigarette related deaths how is 8 vape related deaths in a year with THC as focus point?

Public Health Expert Worries that E-cigarette Panic is ruining the single biggest public health opportunity in 120 years.
SEPT 20, 2019

"Public healthublic Health England describes e-cigarettes as "at least 95% less harmful than tobacco cigarettes" – a claim New York University professor David Abrams agrees with. Abrams tells "CBS This Morning" Tony Dokoupil why he's concerned about what the current panic about e-cigarette safety could mean for public health."

I'm unable to copy the link, so watch the interview here:

https://www.ivva.ie/latest-news/iri...all-on-consultant-to-withdraw-misinformation/
23 Sept. 2019

"It was with some shock that Irish Vape Vendors Association [IVVA] learned of an outlandish article in Irish Sunday Mirror yesterday, Sept 23. Prof Sherif Sultan from Galway Clinic called for a ban on vaping and warned: “It’s more dangerous than smoking and booze combined”. Speaking this morning, Declan Connolly, director of IVVA, said that “this statement from Prof Sherif Sultan is blatantly untrue, and these ill-informed comments should be withdrawn immediately. There has been ever growing negative hysteria about vaping in recent weeks, and articles such as the one published in yesterday’s Irish Sunday Mirror will persuade current vapers to go back smoking, and have the added effect of discouraging current smokers from switching to vaping which is at least 95% safer than smoking, according to Public Health England and backed up by the Royal College of Physicians and Cancer Research UK.”

Unfortunately, the article in Irish Sunday Mirror, didn’t stop there, and readers were also informed about another lady whose “lung consultant told her he would prefer to see her “smoke a cigarette rather than vape””.
If the message being promoted by these cardio & lung consultants, and the Irish Sunday Mirror, is to go back smoking, then there is something very seriously wrong. Smoking will prematurely kill 50% of those who smoke.

The Irish Vape Vendors Association also call on Simon Harris & Department of Health to issue a statement. The 200,000 people who vape in Ireland, and those smokers currently considering switching, need to be informed with evidence based data and recommendations.

On Thursday, the Centre for Disease Control & Protection (CDC) in US posted their latest recommendations on vaping, and state “If you are an adult who used e-cigarettes containing nicotine to quit cigarette smoking, do not return to smoking cigarettes.”

Writing in British Medical Journal on Saturday, Prof John Britton (Director of the UK Centre for Tobacco and Alcohol Studies, University of Nottingham) states “The effects of nicotine on the human body are broadly similar to those of caffeine, indicating that long term use probably represents a health risk similar to that of coffee consumption. Since the harms of smoking arise not from nicotine, but from the many other toxins in tobacco smoke, it follows that providing smokers with nicotine in a smoke free formulation should enable smokers to quit smoking more easily, by removing the need to overcome addiction to nicotine. Unlike conventional nicotine replacement therapies, electronic cigarettes achieve exactly this by delivering nicotine in a vapour that, while not harmless, is substantially less toxic than smoke.”

If you live in San Francisco, you can't even have vaping products delivered.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/20/the-utterly-political-war-on-vaping/
20 Sept. 2019

[...]

"... not too long ago the San Francisco Board of Supervisors banned the sale of vaping products at retail outlets and — seemingly more persnickety about this than, say, the use of heroin or public defecation — prohibited their delivery to addresses in the city."

If there were serious hazards carried by food flavourings wouldn’t we have known by now? I mean any objective mind wouldn’t help but look for the common point in all these SUDDEN lung diseases associated with vaping. Otherwise we would’ve heard about a certain number of other random cases here and there. We’re not talking about long term effects here but acute complications. It can either be related to the cotton, the wire, the juice or the metal alloy of which the dripper/RTA are made. Some serious scientific research will identify the culprit. This time around it was a funky juice, next time it will be the coils etc.

The real problem is whatever is circulating on the black market is out of everybody’s control and people motivated by money wouldn’t give a damn about public health, vape ban nor anything else. The same thing applies to illegal cigarettes, fake medicines (and God knows how many there are in circulation especially in our corrupt continent).

This is where consumers as much as legislators should take a stand but I know it’s easier said than done.

GOP allies warn vaping ban will sink Trump in 2020
https://www.axios.com/gop-allies-wa...020-16f766a4-7bcc-435f-9638-a80223df55ed.html

"Conservative leaders are circulating data to White House staff that claims adults who vape will turn on President Trump if he follows through with his planned ban on flavored e-cigarettes, Axios has learned.

Between the lines: The data (shown below) reveals that the number of adult vapers in key battleground states greatly outweighs the margins by which Trump won those states in 2016 — and they argue it could cost him reelection.

What we're hearing: "While parents may be concerned about e-cigarettes, the people who genuinely care about vaping as a voting issue so far outweighs the number of people Trump needs to win in 2020 that they are royally screwing themselves by doing this," Paul Blair, the director of strategic initiatives at Americans for Tax Reform, tells me.

Suburban moms concerned about vaping "don't have the same voter intensity on this as adult vapers do," an industry lobbyist said.
Florida, which Trump won by 113,000 voters, had about 873,000 adult vapers in 2016. They reason that if 1 in 8 vapers turn against Trump in 2020 because he foreclosed their vaping options, it could jeopardize the election.
Why it matters: If Trump backs away from proposed enforcement policy, it would be the second time in recent weeks that political concerns prompted him to dial back government regulations.

Trump's openness this summer to expanded background checks cooled after the gun lobby and campaign advisers warned about bad internal polling.

Our thought bubble: There are four unsubstantiated assumptions about adult vapers in the case being presented to Trump:

They start out as Trump voters.
They wouldn't vape anymore if they couldn't get the flavors.
They are single-issue voters around vaping rights.
The eventual Democratic nominee would be more vape-friendly.
Still, the math can't be totally ignored, especially in places like Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin where Trump's 2016 win margins were so narrow and the number of adult vapers is relatively high.

By the numbers: More than 4 million people in swing states regularly used e-cigarettes in 2016, according to FDA-funded survey data published last year in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

Industry experts say that number has increased significantly in recent years.

[I'm unable to save the image, so see here for a comparison of adult vapers and 2016 presidential election win margins in battleground states. ]

Behind the scenes: The White House scheduled a listening session with conservative groups last Thursday after receiving intense backlash from GOP leaders and industry execs following the announcement of the ban.

Among the invitees: The Competitive Enterprise Institute, the Goldwater Institute, AFT and the Vapor Technology Association.
But roughly 24 hours after invitations went out, the meeting was canceled.
"They’re in chaos mode on this stuff because the backlash has been so resoundingly overpowering," one invitee said.
A White House official says the meeting is expected to be rescheduled.
The bottom line: The political pressure points regarding the ban have gotten Trump's attention.

Shortly after the proposed ban was announced, Trump tweeted that he still likes vaping as an alternative to cigarettes.
Trump's 2020 campaign manager Brad Parscale also hit back at a Trump follower who tweeted that banning vaping products is "not on brand with MAGA."
One administration official said the tweets were prompted by a flood of criticism from conservative leaders.

Public Health Expert Worries that E-cigarette Panic is ruining the single biggest public health opportunity in 120 years.
SEPT 20, 2019

"Public healthublic Health England describes e-cigarettes as "at least 95% less harmful than tobacco cigarettes" – a claim New York University professor David Abrams agrees with. Abrams tells "CBS This Morning" Tony Dokoupil why he's concerned about what the current panic about e-cigarette safety could mean for public health."

I'm unable to copy the link, so watch the interview here:

This is great @Hooked
Just watched it now
This New York professor David Abrams explained it all very well and you can see he knows his topic very well.

He basically says that e-cigarettes should continue to be used and they offer the greatest opportunity we have had in over a century to reduce smoking significantly.

This is great @Hooked
Just watched it now
This New York professor David Abrams explained it all very well and you can see he knows his topic very well.

He basically says that e-cigarettes should continue to be used and they offer the greatest opportunity we have had in over a century to reduce smoking significantly.

@Silver What I like is that he speaks so calmly and I think that is what we must remember too. It's so easy to become excited when we're criticised by misinformed people, but a calm, measured voice is the best.

@Silver What I like is that he speaks so calmly and I think that is what we must remember too. It's so easy to become excited when we're criticised by misinformed people, but a calm, measured voice is the best.

Agreed - always better to be calm and collected

By the way, I couldn’t place his accent. At one point I thought he may have been an ex-South African. Then I heard a bit of the Australian accent.

Check it out

@SparkySA thanks for posting this - most informative. It's all about the money, 'bout the money, 'bout the money ...
Disgusting! And Big Pharma no doubt plays a huge part too. It's not in their interests to have healthier people, is it?

Isn't there a petition site or something we can do?

@SparkySA There is a petition and the required number of signatures has been reached. They needed 100,000 signatures by 11 Oct and as of this moment (I've just copied this from the site) 141,614 people have signed. :clap:

I don't know if one can still sign, but go to this site and try. I can't because I've already signed.
upload_2019-9-24_20-10-33.png

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/vaping-e-cigarettes-suspected-fifth-death-hundreds-lung-injuries

The truth about these deaths please share on Facebook and social media platforms

"450 possible cases of these lung injuries reported in 33 states and one U.S. territory. That’s more than double the 215 cases reported a week ago."

I must say that is indeed alarming, whatever the cause. According to what we know, Vitamin E acetate was added to blackmarket "alternative" products. The question is, did the makers of the products know what the consequences would be? I doubt it, unless they're all psychopaths. Just put yourself in their shoes now. If they truly didn't know, what are they feeling now?? It must be awful for them. And once the source(s) is discovered, they will be charged with murder.

Then there's another more sinister possibility. Could an industry with a vested interest in cigarettes have deliberately done this, so as to put a very dark cloud over vaping? I am not accusing anyone ... I'm just wondering, is it possible?

"450 possible cases of these lung injuries reported in 33 states and one U.S. territory. That’s more than double the 215 cases reported a week ago."

I must say that is indeed alarming, whatever the cause. According to what we know, Vitamin E acetate was added to blackmarket "alternative" products. The question is, did the makers of the products know what the consequences would be? I doubt it, unless they're all psychopaths. Just put yourself in their shoes now. If they truly didn't know, what are they feeling now?? It must be awful for them. And once the source(s) is discovered, they will be charged with murder.

Then there's another more sinister possibility. Could an industry with a vested interest in cigarettes have deliberately done this, so as to put a very dark cloud over vaping? I am not accusing anyone ... I'm just wondering, is it possible?

Anything is possible @Hooked

We don’t even know the exact causes since the info released is not very conclusive yet

But it does sound very strange that suddenly so many people are hospitalized while normal vaping has been around for many years

Agreed - always better to be calm and collected

By the way, I couldn’t place his accent. At one point I thought he may have been an ex-South African. Then I heard a bit of the Australian accent.

@Silver I was also trying to place his accent, but couldn't.

There are questions milling about in my mind.

What is happening to all the vape shop owners in the states where vaping or flavours have already been banned, and what is going to happen to all the vape shops throughout the USA if the flavour ban comes into effect?

Just imagine. You have a vape shop which is your livelihood. It supports your family. Now all that you're left with is tobacco-flavoured juice and mods. What about all the juice which you've already purchased from your suppliers. Will they take it back and refund your money? Hardly likely! So what are you going to do with it? Give your customers your home address so that they can visit you for "afternoon tea and scones"?

I dare say the fines for selling vape juice, if the ban comes into effect, will be hefty. Would they take a chance anyway? I doubt it. You never know who it is who walks into your shop. Could be an undercover agent, since this is now a serious crime - far worse than alcohol and guns, that's for sure.

What is happening with the juice manufacturers?
This is going to affect them too. How much of their production is plain tobacco flavours? At a wild guess let me say 10%. That means that they will lose 90% of their production. There is no business that can stay afloat if they lose 90% of their production.

Will the juice manufacturers perhaps be allowed to continue making flavoured juice, but for export only? Perhaps ...
After all, in China there are two production types. Products for the local market and products for export only. This is not because of any bans etc. It's just that there are some things which we use but the Chinese don't e.g. nutcrackers, nailbrushes. Or sometimes the products are used in China as well, but the quality of those for export is superior to the local products, so I've been told.

There is no doubt that this is going to have serious financial repercussions and I feel for everyone involved.

There are questions milling about in my mind.

What is happening to all the vape shop owners in the states where vaping or flavours have already been banned, and what is going to happen to all the vape shops throughout the USA if the flavour ban comes into effect?

Just imagine. You have a vape shop which is your livelihood. It supports your family. Now all that you're left with is tobacco-flavoured juice and mods. What about all the juice which you've already purchased from your suppliers. Will they take it back and refund your money? Hardly likely! So what are you going to do with it? Give your customers your home address so that they can visit you for "afternoon tea and scones"?

I dare say the fines for selling vape juice, if the ban comes into effect, will be hefty. Would they take a chance anyway? I doubt it. You never know who it is who walks into your shop. Could be an undercover agent, since this is now a serious crime - far worse than alcohol and guns, that's for sure.

What is happening with the juice manufacturers?
This is going to affect them too. How much of their production is plain tobacco flavours? At a wild guess let me say 10%. That means that they will lose 90% of their production. There is no business that can stay afloat if they lose 90% of their production.

Will the juice manufacturers perhaps be allowed to continue making flavoured juice, but for export only? Perhaps ...
After all, in China there are two production types. Products for the local market and products for export only. This is not because of any bans etc. It's just that there are some things which we use but the Chinese don't e.g. nutcrackers, nailbrushes. Or sometimes the products are used in China as well, but the quality of those for export is superior to the local products, so I've been told.

There is no doubt that this is going to have serious financial repercussions and I feel for everyone involved.

Here's a video Mike Vapes had with a shop owner in New York. Will answer some questions. Also a really interesting conversation.

Here's a video Mike Vapes had with a shop owner in New York. Will answer some questions. Also a really interesting conversation.

Thanks @Adephi
Interesting interview and gives a good context of what it’s like for a vape shop owner

Agree.
2cents counted.
Key 'one-liner' in this article is the same common denominator as in all the other dramas and deaths:

They should skip all the bad-mouthing and other BS related to vaping and how bad it is and perhaps just take a moment, sit down, shut up and gather their scrambled thoughts, and then focus on the ACTUAL issue here. Instead of rallying everyone to write articles and have press conferences to spread disinformation, they should be using all the resources to track down the suppliers and manufacturers of the carts causing all the kak.

Just my 2c.

Most probably due to them excepting the stats of smokers.people tend to find things to be normal when its expected.and now all of a sudden after everyone said vaping is safe...people die.
they forget to mention the k@k their vaping

The biggest question is.... If 1300 Americans die per day of cigarette related deaths how is 8 vape related deaths in a year with THC as focus point?

If there were serious hazards carried by food flavourings wouldn’t we have known by now?

Yes. This problem is only happening in North America (one case we know of in Canada) and is affecting many vapers who only started vaping recently. These two facts together tell us:
  • It's not any of the regular ingredients (nic, PG, VG, flavours) in juice because juice is made the same all around the world. There is no reason why an ingredient in regular juice would only affect NA vapers. Unless it's something localised like a contaminated batch of VG that was distributed in the US.
  • It's not a time-based thing. If we suddenly had a bunch of vapers who had all been vaping for ten years or more falling ill, that would suggest that testing had perhaps missed a toxic ingredient that takes a long time to build up in the body. But some of these vapers have only been doing it for a few months, so it's not that.
Clearly, there is some juice ingredient which is only used in NA and which hasn't been used widely before, which is causing the problem. The other possibility, as I stated, is that it's some common ingredient but which had a contaminated batch distributed to NA juice manufacturers.

Because it's a new development. The risks from smoking are known so it's not shocking when people continue to die from it.

Let me illustrate with an analogy. Your next door neighbour switches on his DSTV decoder and it explodes, killing him instantly. You phone DSTV to find out what's up and they tell you "Ja boet but twenty okes died in road accidents today, now you're worried about one oke dying from his decoder? Why aren't you phoning Toyota and complaining to them about the twenty deaths?" It's because we know people die on the roads, it's not shocking to us. But we shouldn't be dying from our decoder.

Some of the people who have died or got really ill have only been vaping for a few months. They shouldn't be dying from it.

Yes. This problem is only happening in North America (one case we know of in Canada) and is affecting many vapers who only started vaping recently. These two facts together tell us:
  • It's not any of the regular ingredients (nic, PG, VG, flavours) in juice because juice is made the same all around the world. There is no reason why an ingredient in regular juice would only affect NA vapers. Unless it's something localised like a contaminated batch of VG that was distributed in the US.
  • It's not a time-based thing. If we suddenly had a bunch of vapers who had all been vaping for ten years or more falling ill, that would suggest that testing had perhaps missed a toxic ingredient that takes a long time to build up in the body. But some of these vapers have only been doing it for a few months, so it's not that.
Clearly, there is some juice ingredient which is only used in NA and which hasn't been used widely before, which is causing the problem. The other possibility, as I stated, is that it's some common ingredient but which had a contaminated batch distributed to NA juice manufacturers.

@RichJB They were not vaping e-liquid. They were vaping TeeHCee so your argument is a non sequitar.

All this balony is affecting supper talk at home! Everyone is on my case about how vaping is being banned all over the world so it must be so bad for me.

It's driving me crazy.

Back