The Vortice Thread

Christos

Reonaut
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
LV

Awards
Just wanted to start the vortice thread as it is a bottom feed RDA.

So far I'm enjoying it but I'm not pleased by the centre screw on the 510 because it doesn't go further on a LP reo.
I'm thinking of grinding the pin down to fit smoothly.
2015-10-03 13.44.09.jpg
Other than that airflow is good but not airy like a velocity etc.

I found for best flavour the coils need to be high up past the vortice ring so that airflow hits the coils from below.

2015-10-03 13.48.10.jpg

General pic on Reo.
Also does not leak if over squonked which is a big bonus.
2015-10-03 13.48.28.jpg

I have one on order from FT, will be interesting to compare to my other favorites

Many thanks @Christos. Was wondering about the Vortice. No leaking is good news for me. How is the vape compared to your other bfs? And throat hit? Can it take a "normal" drip tip?

Many thanks @Christos. Was wondering about the Vortice. No leaking is good news for me. How is the vape compared to your other bfs? And throat hit? Can it take a "normal" drip tip?
HI @Andre, I have the lemanga clone.
In the box is a delerin adaptor for 510 drip tips and a single air hole ring for single coils.
I am preferring the vortice over the derringer and rogue and velocity.
Flavour is very nice. I only notice the throat hit when taking 5 to 6 second inhales.
Also the atty doesn't get as hot but that's due to the way I built the coils so high.

I'll maybe take some photos when I'm back home of the box and all the accessories etc.

HI @Andre, I have the lemanga clone.
In the box is a delerin adaptor for 510 drip tips and a single air hole ring for single coils.
I am preferring the vortice over the derringer and rogue and velocity.
Flavour is very nice. I only notice the throat hit when taking 5 to 6 second inhales.
Also the atty doesn't get as hot but that's due to the way I built the coils so high.
Thanks, am seriously tempted now. Where did you buy yours please?

Sorry guys. If you are anything like me you are waiting in anticipation for pics. Haven't had time to do a rebuild with photos of the deck etc. I'll get them done soon.

Some notes. I have purposely not washed the RDA so you can see where condensation occurs on the reo and get a feel for leaks etc that might piss you off. I know the Woodville guys may not like the condensation at all.

Deck with drain hole flush. :party:
Condensation can clearly be seen here.

2015-10-06 09.25.05.jpg

Deck with vortice ring.
2015-10-06 09.25.21.jpg

Box content with single coil ring and standard 510 drip tip adaptor with wide bore adaptor.
2015-10-06 09.24.51.jpg

Base of RDA.
2015-10-06 09.24.37.jpg

Some notes. I have purposely not washed the RDA so you can see where condensation occurs on the reo and get a feel for leaks etc that might piss you off. I know the Woodville guys may not like the condensation at all.

Deck with drain hole flush. :party:
Condensation can clearly be seen here.

View attachment 36583

Deck with vortice ring.
View attachment 36582

Box content with single coil ring and standard 510 drip tip adaptor with wide bore adaptor.
View attachment 36584

Base of RDA.
View attachment 36585
Thanks for the trouble @Christos. Very clear pictures. Looks like the Rogue beats it in the condensation department. Think I shall pass this one for the time being.

Couldn't wait for FT any longer. Ordered one from Vapeking just now. Hopefully it will be here on Thursday

I am wanting to build one tonight, @Christos could you please tell me what gauge and how many wraps
For the next 3 days I'm using the following:

26 AWG
10 wraps
2.5mm ID
Cotton bacon scotch roll as best as I can.

I found for the best flavour to keep the coils above the vortice ring.

See pics. 2015-10-06 20.02.11.jpg 2015-10-06 20.01.55.jpg

Hi. Ohm reading? How is the vape?
Sorry, the vortice doesn't screw into my ohm reader so I push it and hold it. I honestly don't remember the exact reading but it was below .5 ohms. Somewhere round the 0.45 ohm mark.

Vape is good.
Flavour is full.
Vapour production is decent. Not clouds but dense enough not to be a stealth vape.

Mind you I'm currently also using a chalice iii .6ohm and also very difficult to stealth vape on the chalice. Flavour is on par with the chalice me thinks.

I was playing with the vortice and I tried the following:
Single vertical coil centred.
22 AWG
10 wraps
3mm ID
Cotton bacon
0.7 ohms

Flavour was supprisingly good.
Throat hit was awesome. Felt like actually smoking again :GODZILLA:

Posts got hot due to the proximity of the coils and bad airflow.
2015-10-16 01.08.48.jpg

Anyways. Back to the standard build.
26 AWG
7 wraps dual coil
2.5mm ID
Cotton bacon
0.5 ohms.

Flavour awesome.
Throat hit mild but still satisfying.
Cloud production is really dense.

Key points here are the coils are very high and wicking needs to stay away from the bottom of the coils to get the air flow working like a champ.

Coil preperations.

2015-10-16 01.08.10.jpg

Coils secured.

2015-10-16 01.07.48.jpg

Wicking.
2015-10-16 01.07.29.jpg

Lubricated :giggle:
2015-10-16 01.06.59.jpg

Final pic before top cap.
2015-10-16 01.06.33.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-10-16 01.05.53.jpg
    2015-10-16 01.05.53.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 10
22 AWG
10 wraps
3mm ID
Cotton bacon
0.7 ohms

View attachment 37139

26 AWG
7 wraps dual coil
2.5mm ID
Cotton bacon
0.5 ohms.

Flavour awesome.

Key points here are the coils are very high and wicking needs to stay away from the bottom of the coils to get the air flow working like a champ.

Coil preperations.

View attachment 37140

Coils secured.

View attachment 37141

Wicking.
View attachment 37142

View attachment 37143

View attachment 37144
This look so damn nice, I can almost taste the vape.

22 AWG
10 wraps
3mm ID
Cotton bacon
0.7 ohms

View attachment 37139

26 AWG
7 wraps dual coil
2.5mm ID
Cotton bacon
0.5 ohms.

Flavour awesome.

Coil preperations.

View attachment 37140

Coils secured.

View attachment 37141

Wicking.
View attachment 37142

View attachment 37143

View attachment 37144
That was a pleasure to read and look at, thanks. Neat coiling - I always struggle with the pre-bending.

The problem I have with mine is it can cut your fingers quite easily. I have like 3 cut so far cause I have clumsy hands

That was a pleasure to read and look at, thanks. Neat coiling - I always struggle with the pre-bending.
Thanks.
I always, always have 1 leg that is problematic and have dubbed it "the retarded leg".

I find using the tweezers 2 to 3cm below the tip where the tweezer is thicker helps.
I have tried a variety of pliers but the tweezers are the easiest.

I usually grip the coils with my fingers, be careful as too strong a grip will result in a full retard coil, and bend with the tweezers.

I also find, and this is extremely subjective, that "wasting" kanthal by cutting longer pieces to work with makes working with the coils a whole lot easier.

The problem I have with mine is it can cut your fingers quite easily. I have like 3 cut so far cause I have clumsy hands
I did wedge my finger in the air hole cap and I did feel it almost cut my finger. That tender moment...

It might be because of the years of burnt fingers from soldering hence slightly thicker skin formations on the tips.

Had a vape today on @Paulie ' s Vortice
He had dual 26g 2.5 mm coils in it and a delicious juice

I must say i liked the vape a lot. Thick, dense and flavourful.

Great initial vape i had!
Lovely atty

Back