To fluff or not to fluff

SSSSMARCUSSSSS

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Gordons Bay, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Wanted to start this discussion because it has always interested me. Ive wicked just by tightening the cotton and tucking it into the well but ive also tried fluffing and then tucking into the well and ive never noticed the difference. the only time ive noticed a difference is when i change the overall density of the cotton i am using

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

+1 on the fluffing. Not sure if it does make a difference but for some reason I feel that fluffing helps with wicking efficiently.

I think it depends on the cotton used. 20180610_003924.jpgJapanes cotton

Pixlr.jpg Cotton bacon prime

Prime is already packed less condensed and it soaks up juice like nothing else without needing a fluff.

Japanese cotton, I only ever use 1 way: I cut a block into 1mm strips and depending on size required I will use 2 or 3 strips in a coil. Not twisted together just as is, so in a way I suppose that would be the same as fluffing.

I don't fluff with cotton bacon prime, if I do it's very little just to take out some knots seems to suck up juice well but depends on the rta

I don't fluff with cotton bacon prime, if I do it's very little just to take out some knots seems to suck up juice well but depends on the rta
Side note: I am not 100% convinced that fluffing and coming and basically reducing your cotton to a single thread is needed or even the optimum way to wick a Rta.

+1 For fluffing. Ive always been doing it and it just works for me, Used CB v2 most of the time

I find that fluffing on some will do the trick, while on the MTL Chuthu I don't fluff at all because then she leaks.

Good thread @SSSSMARCUSSSSS

I have also wondered whether its good to fluff or not.

Sometimes I do fluff and thin it out a bit, sometimes not.
On my Lemo1, I blow the ends of the wicks so it "fans" out and then put it back together. Not sure if it helps but I suppose it gets rid of knots or imperfections in the strands of cotton.

On my other tanks I generally don't fluff it out and it works fine.

On my RM2, I don't fluff it, I just cut so the wick will just touch the deck. Has been working fine for years.

I know some guys comb the wick to get the strands all uniform. @Christos - didnt you do that at one stage?

Very interesting but for me I don't really notice a big difference. Then again I am usually vaping at lowish power on mostly simple coils so maybe my experience is not the same as would be with more powerful setups and exotic coils that presumably demand much more from the wicking department ;-)

Side note: I am not 100% convinced that fluffing and coming and basically reducing your cotton to a single thread is needed or even the optimum way to wick a Rta.
Well I was very very wrong. Did a rebuild and rewick a moment ago on the Zues, without combing or fluffing...seems that drinking e liquid has become a norm lately in my life. :sick:

I started off fluff ingredients everything, but I think the idea was probably to get the cotton to get saturated easily. These days, I only fluff with some of the attys - eg. Dwarf, Zig18, Exocet and Flow - and then just the end-most parts. I normally also blow on the ends to get the bunny tail effect. I believe in these attys it reduces the chance of leaking. I should however also mention that I do still believe in the Easter Bunny (hence the blowing on the ends) ;-)

I don't fluff the cotton in my RDAs

Sent by iDad's iPhone

I started off fluff ingredients everything, but I think the idea was probably to get the cotton to get saturated easily. These days, I only fluff with some of the attys - eg. Dwarf, Zig18, Exocet and Flow - and then just the end-most parts. I normally also blow on the ends to get the bunny tail effect. I believe in these attys it reduces the chance of leaking. I should however also mention that I do still believe in the Easter Bunny (hence the blowing on the ends) ;-)

Sent by iDad's iPhone
My mistake was to think I could reproduce some of the Rda effects in a Rta. So I'm in between...draadsitter.

the onpy time ove noticed a bit of a difference is in rtas. in rdas i just want as much cotton as possible in the coil

Sent by iDad's iPhone

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Another +1 for fluffing. I feel like it helps the juice get absorbed more efficiently.

Well I was very very wrong. Did a rebuild and rewick a moment ago on the Zues, without combing or fluffing...seems that drinking e liquid has become a norm lately in my life. :sick:
Single or double coil? Seems a lot of people don’t fluff, maybe I must try that, just wish I can get the Kayfun to not give me dry hits no matter what I do. Going back to basics on that one.

Good thread @SSSSMARCUSSSSS

I have also wondered whether its good to fluff or not.

Sometimes I do fluff and thin it out a bit, sometimes not.
On my Lemo1, I blow the ends of the wicks so it "fans" out and then put it back together. Not sure if it helps but I suppose it gets rid of knots or imperfections in the strands of cotton.

On my other tanks I generally don't fluff it out and it works fine.

On my RM2, I don't fluff it, I just cut so the wick will just touch the deck. Has been working fine for years.

I know some guys comb the wick to get the strands all uniform. @Christos - didnt you do that at one stage?

Very interesting but for me I don't really notice a big difference. Then again I am usually vaping at lowish power on mostly simple coils so maybe my experience is not the same as would be with more powerful setups and exotic coils that presumably demand much more from the wicking department ;-)
I comb out thick spots on cotton when using RTAs so wicking happens more readily.
In essence it's thinking out the ends as I don't like cutting angles etc etc.

I do absolutely no fluffing . I just but the ends . wet them up and place them down . I can chain vape no problems . I think the only time it helps is in tanks with small wicking channels . now days most tanks have huge channels

I do absolutely no fluffing . I just but the ends . wet them up and place them down . I can chain vape no problems . I think the only time it helps is in tanks with small wicking channels . now days most tanks have huge channels
What's your cotton of choice?

wen you prime your wick when you ad that one drop of juice on the end of the cotton look how fast it absorbs compered to one that is not thinned out. you can see the diff

wen you prime your wick when you ad that one drop of juice on the end of the cotton look how fast it absorbs compered to one that is not thinned out. you can see the diff
Yes it will saturate faster, but I'm more interested in what gives better flavour.

Back