Tobacco extraction help

stevie g

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
There might be an existing thread with this information but does anyone have a good resource for doing tobacco extractions to use as flavorings in eliquid?.

Or a link to a good guide. I have read a few different guides on google but I prefer how us locals describe things :)

Just get some pure tobacco of your choice, dump it in pure pg, heat it up a little, shake very well and let sit for a day. Repeat often. With tea and coffee, a few days will do, but with tobacco, you might want to repeat the process for two weeks or more.
I extracted coffee and tea this way and got some awesome results!

Just to add...

I extracted using pipe tobacco, first thing to note... you will get nicotine, and I have no idea how much. I purposefully did not add extra nicotine concentrate while mixing my juice (the vape was decent and I did get a kick). Secondly, a cheesecloth worked great for the straining. I repeated the process 5 times, heating the pg/tobacco solution to roughly 40 degrees at a time and got quite a decent flavour out of it. Also done this exact process with aniseed, cardimom and cinnamon... worked great for me although I did not get as concentrated as I wanted hence my final mix was a 60PG/40VG mix

@Cespian

What would you say the nic content was at if you had to take a guess comparing it to a juice say 1.5 or 3mg nic content?.

@zadiac

Was your coffee extraction good, how much percentage did you use it as a flavor?.

@zadiac

Was your coffee extraction good, how much percentage did you use it as a flavor?.

It was quite strong. I think coffee extracts the easiest of all. I only used about 3ml in a 50ml coffee mix.

Just to add...

I extracted using pipe tobacco, first thing to note... you will get nicotine, and I have no idea how much. I purposefully did not add extra nicotine concentrate while mixing my juice (the vape was decent and I did get a kick). Secondly, a cheesecloth worked great for the straining. I repeated the process 5 times, heating the pg/tobacco solution to roughly 40 degrees at a time and got quite a decent flavour out of it. Also done this exact process with aniseed, cardimom and cinnamon... worked great for me although I did not get as concentrated as I wanted hence my final mix was a 60PG/40VG mix
I beg to differ. The amount of nic you going to get if at all is so minute as to not even worry about.
Nic extraction is done with a completely different chemical process.

If you google tobacco extraction there are lots of articles and how to's most mention that nic is not really part of the extraction process.

@Cespian

What would you say the nic content was at if you had to take a guess comparing it to a juice say 1.5 or 3mg nic content?.

I have absolutely no idea @Sprint
The PG content was significantly higher than what I usually vape (usually vape 70VG/30PG) hence the throat hit was already too overbearing for me. If I had to guess wildly, it could have possibly been between 3 and 5mg/ml nic (this tobacco concentrate made up 6% of the total flavour concentrate (roughly 3ml flavouring in a total of 30ml juice)

I beg to differ. The amount of nic you going to get if at all is so minute as to not even worry about.

If you google tobacco extraction there are lots of articles and how to's most mention that nic is not really part of the extraction process.

Thanks, like I mentioned, the PG content probably caused majority of the "strongness" for me. I've not gone too deep into NET as I have grown out of tobacco flavours.

Thanks, like I mentioned, the PG content probably caused majority of the "strongness" for me. I've not gone too deep into NET as I have grown out of tobacco flavours.
The thing is most pipe tobacco is aromatic. Which means treated, with chemicals maybe. Best is to use something 100% natural.

The thing is most pipe tobacco is aromatic. Which means treated, with chemicals maybe. Best is to use something 100% natural.

It was the purest tobacco I could find at the time. Most of it was fueled by my curiosity and it didn't taste bad at all. And again, thanks for this info, I am alot more educated and minful of possible dangers now than I was back then.

Mate,

Just out of interest what sort of tobacco did you use? I can buy bundles of dried tobacco leaves at local market and have often wondered if it is feasible to extract content for diy.

Mate,

Just out of interest what sort of tobacco did you use? I can buy bundles of dried tobacco leaves at local market and have often wondered if it is feasible to extract content for diy.

A natural pipe tobacco from Cock n Bull (cannot remember the brand)...
Check @Gazzacpt 's comment about pipe tobacco possibly containing chemical flavour enhancers which I totally agree with now and was oblivious to this before. Pure tobacco exists, use that instead. Just don't use the cigarette tobacco (for rollies)

Also curious to know where I can get some tobacco.

Saw some ladies selling dried tobacco leaves at a local market but not sure if its safe to use

@Cespian

Nicotine is extracted via an "acid/base" extraction for the sake of safety i will not give any methods but it is not soluble per say in PG thus you get "suspended" nic out of the tobacco but not dissolved. The process i use to extract alkaloids is not only full of cr@p but difficult without decent lab ware. Your product is extremely poisonous and not to be ffed with. Be very careful with these types of things as sometimes conditions are just right for the reaper to come for a field day that's why if/when i do these types of things i have the utmost of care to ensure that every aspect is monitored and controlled. Remember with chemistry garbage in IS garbage out.

sheesh this is taking DIY to the next level. I'm still a level one noob - however the force is strong with me and someday when I am big and have trained hard. I will do self extraction of flavors.

Nicotine is extracted via an "acid/base" extraction for the sake of safety i will not give any methods but it is not soluble per say in PG thus you get "suspended" nic out of the tobacco but not dissolved.

Hmmm... So what you're saying is that I should mix up some Chlorine from my pool (acid), with some milk from my fridge (base) to create my mix. Throw it in a can, seal it for steeping purposes, and wait next to it patiently to get nicotine?

Hmmm... So what you're saying is that I should mix up some Chlorine from my pool (acid), with some milk from my fridge (base) to create my mix. Throw it in a can, seal it for steeping purposes, and wait next to it patiently to get nicotine?
"Chlorine from my pool (acid)" <- Base -> CaHOCl calcium hypochlorite.
"milk from my fridge (base)" <- slightly acid -> pH of between 6.7 and 6.5.

What im saying if you dont understand exactly what you are dealing with...vape king etc are around the corner. Go buy some juice. Even extracting "flavors" from natural products can be dangerous as some harmful chems also come over in the process and needs to be separated. This is the reason why its so expensive for a 10 ml bottle. It has had tens of trained chemical engineers working around the pitfalls of each flavor.

Just get some pure tobacco of your choice, dump it in pure pg, heat it up a little, shake very well and let sit for a day. Repeat often. With tea and coffee, a few days will do, but with tobacco, you might want to repeat the process for two weeks or more.
I extracted coffee and tea this way and got some awesome results!

@zadiac Will this recipe work with pure VG insted of PG?

"Chlorine from my pool (acid)" <- Base -> CaHOCl calcium hypochlorite.
"milk from my fridge (base)" <- slightly acid -> pH of between 6.7 and 6.5.

What im saying if you dont understand exactly what you are dealing with...vape king etc are around the corner. Go buy some juice. Even extracting "flavors" from natural products can be dangerous as some harmful chems also come over in the process and needs to be separated. This is the reason why its so expensive for a 10 ml bottle. It has had tens of trained chemical engineers working around the pitfalls of each flavor.
Haha! So even when I'm trying to make a bomb I don't know what I'm talking about! I've considered extracting flavours, but as I can't be sure of what I'm going to end up putting in my lungs I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole. I for one stick to tried and tested things before I put it into my body!

@zadiac Will this recipe work with pure VG insted of PG?
VG is not a great flavour carrier. If you soak your tobacco in VG you could probably add nic and vape it just like that and it could still be muted. PG carries flavour really really well and even so you need to mix in quite a percentage of the extract you make.

Haha! So even when I'm trying to make a bomb I don't know what I'm talking about! I've considered extracting flavours, but as I can't be sure of what I'm going to end up putting in my lungs I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole. I for one stick to tried and tested things before I put it into my body!
Look Christopher Columbus didnt shy away from the unknown but he was very well educated in nautical sciences. All im saying is if you cant be sure of the result then DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME. There are some REAL nasty stuff on God's green earth. Some of them are lethal at µg levels.

Look Christopher Columbus didnt shy away from the unknown but he was very well educated in nautical sciences. All im saying is if you cant be sure of the result then DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME. There are some REAL nasty stuff on God's green earth. Some of them are lethal at µg levels.
I don't know man this sounds a bit alarmist to me. There seems to be a lot of perople that vape their own tobacco extracts and I haven't heard anything negative from them... so far....

I don't know man this sounds a bit alarmist to me. There seems to be a lot of perople that vape their own tobacco extracts and I haven't heard anything negative from them... so far....
As per my original quote I was talking about the dangers of extracting nicotine. My later posts were aimed at "doing your own extractions when you grow up" without specifying the intended plant material. This is not fear mongering its preventative measures for a headline reading "Vaper dies after extracting and vaping ricin" ......he was found dead after trying to make a castor oil alternative to more expensive high grade VG

Back