Tobacco extraction help

As per my original quote I was talking about the dangers of extracting nicotine. My later posts were aimed at "doing your own extractions when you grow up" without specifying the intended plant material. This is not fear mongering its preventative measures for a headline reading "Vaper dies after extracting and vaping ricin" ......he was found dead after trying to make a castor oil alternative to more expensive high grade VG
I hear you and appreciate your concern but the topic is tobacco extraction.

So far what I have read and watched on youtube is that minimal nicotine is extracted from the tobacco using plain PG. Esthers on the other hand do extract nicotine but I won't be using those.

As per my original quote I was talking about the dangers of extracting nicotine. My later posts were aimed at "doing your own extractions when you grow up" without specifying the intended plant material. This is not fear mongering its preventative measures for a headline reading "Vaper dies after extracting and vaping ricin" ......he was found dead after trying to make a castor oil alternative to more expensive high grade VG
Yeah, that is how I understood it too. Extracting the flavours from tobacco leaves in PG is rather safe.

Yeah, that is how I understood it too. Extracting the flavours from tobacco leaves in PG is rather safe.
Just for interest sake, can other flavours be extracted like this ? IE: Vanilla, Mint etc.

Just for interest sake, can other flavours be extracted like this ? IE: Vanilla, Mint etc.

There are a few Reddit threads that explain different extraction methods for different stuff. Currently out so will find the links when I get home.

Basically IMO stay away from fruits because you will extract sugar along with the flavour and its a mission seperating it. I personally successfully extracted cinnamon from cinnamon sticks, aniseed and cardimom. Currently have Jeera laying in PG just for science purposes lol.

Cinnamon has been my biggest success I must say... the flavour was so crisp and very concentrated.

I would try an alcohol and PG extraction in my kitchen from the stock of pipe tobacco I have, If I could just get hold of some PG. It's difficult to get Commercial Propylene Glycol in any of the pharmacies I have visited here.

There are numerous methods.

The alcohol will extract the nicotine, you just have to evaporate it off before you filter. Yes, the danger is how much nicotine one will get?

Interesting topic. I would so love to convert my tobacco stash into delicious tobacco juice. I will appreciate any proven recipes.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I would try an alcohol and PG extraction in my kitchen from the stock of pipe tobacco I have, If I could just get hold of some PG. It's difficult to get Commercial Propylene Glycol in any of the pharmacies I have visited here.

There are numerous methods.

The alcohol will extract the nicotine, you just have to evaporate it off before you filter. Yes, the danger is how much nicotine one will get?

Interesting topic. I would so love to convert my tobacco stash into delicious tobacco juice. I will appreciate any proven recipes.

1. The PG you buy from one of our venders should be pharmaceutical grade and at least 95% pure. Your solution can then be safe to vape.
2. I would strongly suggest against extracting nicotine from tobacco as the residue left over once you evaporate the alcohol is heavily concentrated (can reach up to 99% or 990mg per ml). This is ridiculously poisonous. Stick to purchasing a maximum of 10% nicotine solutions (100mg per ml). Besides for nicotine, you extract other plant matter as well which makes your solution impurer.
3. Dont use any tobacco... use pure tobacco. Cigarette tobacco is laced with other nasty stuff. Find pure tobacco.

@Cespian Thanks for the info. Fair warning. BTW I would never dream of using cigarette tobacco.

I have "pure", pipe tobacco in tins. Irish Flake by Peterston is probably one of the "purest" you can buy over the counter Yes one I have is "cased" (flavour added) one Tin is Latakia which is pure too. but will it work? What would be the ratio of PG to tobacco? How do you safely extract?

About PG. Do you know an easy way to buy? I don't do online buying. Only COD online buying.

I have 50g of pure tobacco lying in 100ml of PG in a slow cooker @60 degrees. Will let you guys know how it turns out in 2 days.

@Cespian Thanks for the info. Fair warning. BTW I would never dream of using cigarette tobacco.

I have "pure", pipe tobacco in tins. Irish Flake by Peterston is probably one of the "purest" you can buy over the counter Yes one I have is "cased" (flavour added) one Tin is Latakia which is pure too. but will it work? What would be the ratio of PG to tobacco? How do you safely extract?

About PG. Do you know an easy way to buy? I don't do online buying. Only COD online buying.

I made mine in a 50ml glass jar. Half way full of tobacco and filled it with 30mls of PG. Letting it sit for 1.5 months in total and heating up once a week to assist the process. Kept the jar sealed for the durarion of the period. I have no idea which stores you can purchase over the counter but I would try Dischem. Im no biochemist lol so I can only tell you what I done to extract the flavour. Whether it is safe or not I am unable to say.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any harm or health related outcomes using this method lol

As @Gazzacpt said getting a tobacco without the chemicals is a win. I found a place selling organic and untreated tobacco. The extraction worked well. I soaked the tobacco in PG in a glass jar with lid for a month. All was amazing except the tobacco's flavour wasn't to my taste.

I never used heat. Just wanted the top bacco and PG together and left in the cupboard for three months. Strained and used. It gunks up coils really really fast. There are so many good tobacco concentrates on the market, that is just isn't worth the schlep to me anymore.

1. The PG you buy from one of our venders should be pharmaceutical grade and at least 95% pure. Your solution can then be safe to vape.
2. I would strongly suggest against extracting nicotine from tobacco as the residue left over once you evaporate the alcohol is heavily concentrated (can reach up to 99% or 990mg per ml). This is ridiculously poisonous. Stick to purchasing a maximum of 10% nicotine solutions (100mg per ml). Besides for nicotine, you extract other plant matter as well which makes your solution impurer.
3. Dont use any tobacco... use pure tobacco. Cigarette tobacco is laced with other nasty stuff. Find pure tobacco.
You wont extract any nic via alc.....as i said there is a very specific reason for it. Using an acid/base to solvent extraction will get the nic. Alc will desolve the tar etc from the leaves. If you dont believe me take some alc put your leaves in, extract and evap like suggested and compare your results to known samples of undiluted nic. Guaranteed that you will be disappointed. Fair warning is the intention of my post

You wont extract any nic via alc.....as i said there is a very specific reason for it. Using an acid/base to solvent extraction will get the nic. Alc will desolve the tar etc from the leaves. If you dont believe me take some alc put your leaves in, extract and evap like suggested and compare your results to known samples of undiluted nic. Guaranteed that you will be disappointed. Fair warning is the intention of my post

I think my post was misunderstood; regardless of what is used to extract the nicotine, my point was not to do it because of the dangerous final product; being undiluted nicotine (especially without professional lab equipment). I have never extracted nicotine myself (only soaked in PG to extract the flavour) and I don't plan to ever do it (and still strongly suggest against it). Thanks for the info though, I will read into it for general knowledge purposes :)

I made mine in a 50ml glass jar. Half way full of tobacco and filled it with 30mls of PG. Letting it sit for 1.5 months in total and heating up once a week to assist the process. Kept the jar sealed for the durarion of the period. I have no idea which stores you can purchase over the counter but I would try Dischem. Im no biochemist lol so I can only tell you what I done to extract the flavour. Whether it is safe or not I am unable to say.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any harm or health related outcomes using this method lol
Thanks for the tip @Cespain ... My only problem is My 2 Dischems don't sell PG. Not at Clicks....other pharmacists look at me funny when I ask for it. Or they say we don't stock this". I need to find a vendor.

So I have 3 well packed different pipe tobaccos in my cupboard soaked in Mason jars and VG. The tobaccos are 7 to 8 yrs old. I put a bit of alcohol in each one. I will wait for 30 to 69 days then "harvest". This is my cold extraction Recepie, based on what I have read on the Web.

At tge moment, I am very slowly cooking my warm extraction experimental method on a Bain Marie made in a Crock pot on low, on and off for three days. Stirring in between.

Tomorrow I filter. Very exciting and a whole lot of fun. I have so much excess pipe tobacco and still have. But first I must test....

Here art my 2 questions:.

How much nicotine will come out into the final extract which will be done with coffee filters? And WTF can I buy PG in Durban?

Thanks for the tip @Cespain ... My only problem is My 2 Dischems don't sell PG. Not at Clicks....other pharmacists look at me funny when I ask for it. Or they say we don't stock this". I need to find a vendor.

Valley Vapour and Sky Blue vaping. Best for PG. Good prices.

My results as promised.

I mixed 50g tobacco with 100ml PG sealed glass in a slow cooker for 24hrs, got impatient lol.

Mixing @5% tobacco and the taste is good I would call it a success.

I will be using it at 0.5% to round out a tobacco flavorant that needs more body.

Currently doing a 72hr extraction will post results.

NB filter through coffee pfilter paper 4 times to get the cleanest extract. Coils are not gunking as bad as I expected but I wouldn't use it @5% with a commercial coil

Great thread @Sprint:clap:, local DIY guys and girls don't really post about making their own tobacco extract;). A few weeks after I started vaping and with not being able to find the right tobacco e-liquid I decided to extract my own NET`s.

When I gave up smoking completely I had a lot of Cuban cigars left over in my humidor. I did a bit of research on the world wide interwebs and started to experiment. At first, like most new things, it looked intimidating but after a mishap here and there I finally succeeded. It was actually simple and the mishaps were down to my overzealousness.

So with information in hand I did the unthinkable, I took a few Romeo Y Julieta`s (RyJ) and Cohiba`s out of the humidor and left them to dry/dehydrate. I hijacked my wife's spice blender which was still new and blitzed the cigars to a rough chop. I put them in mason jars and let them steep for about 3 months, alternating between a cool cupboard and the freezer. I used the freezer twice during the 3 month period. For the first two to three weeks nothing happened. From week four the liquid started to take on a light brown hue. 8 weeks in it was looking good. After 10-11 weeks it started to take on a really dark colour. No heat was used in the process.

I made 4 batches: RyJ batches with 50/50 PG/VG and 100% VG and Cohiba batches with 50/50 PG/VG and 100% VG. Each batch yielded about 50 ml of extract. To strain I passed the mix through a medium stainless steel sieve a few times, then a fine stainless steel sieve a few more times. I then used a paper filter for the final filtration. At first the extract at 1% was not much different to the Hurricane Vapour Sunshine Cured Tobacco liquid. It had a raw earthy taste/flavour. After awhile I had the so called light bulb moment. I put the jars, lid off, into the humidor with the humidifier turned off. I left it there for a few weeks and upon next tasting I was blown away at how close it was to what I wanted. I also experimented with a smoky tobacco by toasting the chopped up cigar before steeping. This also yielded good results.

I now add this to some e-liquids to boost the tobacco profile or mix and with plain VG :). After mixing I let it steep for a few days before vaping. Now I just need to find the right alcohol flavour profile and I can make my own WB Blackbird:D although I`m sure steeping in a used brandy/whiskey barrel is the only way to get the profile right. I want to get this for steeping when I start getting more into DIY.

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to filter my first batch which has been in the crock pot for at 70 degrees C for 4 days and 3 nights, this evening. Being VG based, I have read that the filter process, being 4X through coffee filters may take a few days. I am still wondering what percentage nicotine will be in the extract. I am geussing 3 to 5% from what I have read.

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to filter my first batch which has been in the crock pot for at 70 degrees C for 4 days and 3 nights, this evening. Being VG based, I have read that the filter process, being 4X through coffee filters may take a few days. I am still wondering what percentage nicotine will be in the extract. I am geussing 3 to 5% from what I have read.
Please point us to where you read that it could contain between 3 and 5 % nicotine.

Back