Vandyvape Kylin - Broken 510 contact screw Fixed

snowman123

New Vaper
LV

Awards
After purchasing this RTA and after 1 week of use, the dreaded leaking issue began. Like most users, I tried different wicking methods, moving the coils away from the center and tightening the 510 gold plated screw. The leak persisted no matter what I did. Leaving the tank on mean't risking a mod covered in juice during the course of a day.

Tightening the screw was the worst mistake ever. The darn thing snapped. The particular version of the Kylin which I have had 2 screws on the 510 assembly. The inner screw holds the positive pin assembly whilst the surface screw makes contact with the 510 mod. Now the RTA was completely unusable.

Mmmm, I thought that this could still be fixed. I removed the entire gold plated screw completely which now could no longer be salvaged. Searched through my junk box and could not find a suitable screw. So I decided just to make one to fit the Kylin.

Fortunately, the threading on the Kylin 510 is based on metric measurements. I used a 3mm diameter cheese head screw. Did a test fit and it worked out okay with the exception of the length.

Check out this youtube vid on how to cut the screw easily to the required length using a cheap wire stripper crimping tool:

Basically, I measured the total length of the original 510 2pc screw assembly and trimmed the replacement screw accordingly. To prevent any leaking from the 510 screw connection, I used heat shrink to cover the screw with just 2 threads being visible to easily fit onto the positive post. I also used a spare o-ring which I had lying around in my junk box for extra protection against any leaks from the 510 pin.

Ok, with this being done, now came the challenge. Getting the tank to fit onto a mod was a problem due to the screw head thickness. I used a dremel tool and a cutting/grinding attachment to flatten the screw head down a bit.

It took some trial and error to get the fit right. I had to grind down the screw, remove it then do a test fit until I found the best height of the screw. After this process, I used the dremel tool once again to physically cut a slot on the head for a flat screwdriver.

Some advice, try and use a brass screw if you have one lying around. The steel screw I have works fine though but I am sure the brass type would have better conductivity and will be more resistant to abuse. Now I have a usable RTA once again!

Only thing left now to do is fix the Kylin leaking issue.

PS: I might have a fix for the leaking issue. I am running some tests to make sure the leak is permanently sorted out. Watch this space...details and pics will follow soon!

Attachments

• Kylin Bottom.jpg
    Kylin Bottom.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Screw.jpg
    Screw.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Dremel.png
    Dremel.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20170808_111304_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170808_111304_HDR.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20170808_111344_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170808_111344_HDR.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20170808_111411_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170808_111411_HDR.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 47
After purchasing this RTA and after 1 week of use, the dreaded leaking issue began. Like most users, I tried different wicking methods, moving the coils away from the center and tightening the 510 gold plated screw. The leak persisted no matter what I did. Leaving the tank on mean't risking a mod covered in juice during the course of a day.

Tightening the screw was the worst mistake ever. The darn thing snapped. The particular version of the Kylin which I have had 2 screws on the 510 assembly. The inner screw holds the positive pin assembly whilst the surface screw makes contact with the 510 mod. Now the RTA was completely unusable.

Mmmm, I thought that this could still be fixed. I removed the entire gold plated screw completely which now could no longer be salvaged. Searched through my junk box and could not find a suitable screw. So I decided just to make one to fit the Kylin.

Fortunately, the threading on the Kylin 510 is based on metric measurements. I used a 3mm diameter cheese head screw. Did a test fit and it worked out okay with the exception of the length.

Check out this youtube vid on how to cut the screw easily to the required length using a cheap wire stripper crimping tool:

Basically, I measured the total length of the original 510 2pc screw assembly and trimmed the replacement screw accordingly. To prevent any leaking from the 510 screw connection, I used heat shrink to cover the screw with just 2 threads being visible to easily fit onto the positive post. I also used a spare o-ring which I had lying around in my junk box for extra protection against any leaks from the 510 pin.

Ok, with this being done, now came the challenge. Getting the tank to fit onto a mod was a problem due to the screw head thickness. I used a dremel tool and a cutting/grinding attachment to flatten the screw head down a bit.

It took some trial and error to get the fit right. I had to grind down the screw, remove it then do a test fit until I found the best height of the screw. After this process, I used the dremel tool once again to physically cut a slot on the head for a flat screwdriver.

Some advice, try and use a brass screw if you have one lying around. The steel screw I have works fine though but I am sure the brass type would have better conductivity and will be more resistant to abuse. Now I have a usable RTA once again!

Only thing left now to do is fix the Kylin leaking issue.

PS: I might have a fix for the leaking issue. I am running some tests to make sure the leak is permanently sorted out. Watch this space...details and pics will follow soon!

Awesome man! Hope you come through with that fix for the leaking. We will appreciate it if you will share..........not like some other guy who said he found a fix for the leaking and then never got into the details of how to do it.

Awesome man! Hope you come through with that fix for the leaking. We will appreciate it if you will share..........not like some other guy who said he found a fix for the leaking and then never got into the details of how to do it.

So far the leak fix is holding up well. I just want to make sure the fix works 100% before posting it to others. Will definitely upload images and the repair details in the next few days after the test is complete and I can confirm working 100% ;)

So far the leak fix is holding up well. I just want to make sure the fix works 100% before posting it to others. Will definitely upload images and the repair details in the next few days after the test is complete and I can confirm working 100% ;)

Thanks man. Will check the thread regularly :)

Are we there yet? Huh....huh? Are we? Are we?........:p

Testing so far and the fix seems to be working well. My juice seems to be lasting much longer. There's a slight bit of condensation but overall a great improvement from the original leaking issue.

So here's how I fixed the leaking issue (for now at least):

1) Carefully remove the 510 screw (Mine had 2 parts - this can differ based on the version of Kylin you are using) - If you break the screw, refer to my previous post on how to fix it!

2) The deck post circled in red in the attachment can thereafter be removed. Underneath the deck post, you will see a plastic insulator.

3) For the fix, I used a silicon thermal pad. This stuff is used for computer heatsinks, memory chips, cpu's etc and dissipates heat. It can also survive high temperatures so it worked out perfect for me. For the thermal pad, check on the web or any local PC hardware store. You will need just a small piece and these are normally sold in strips of sections.

4) Place the deck post with the insulator on the silicone thermal pad and basically cut out a gasket that will be similar to the shape of the insulator. Try to not let the silicon pad occupy the wick chamber and trim as necessary after test fitting.

5) Make a small hole on the silicon pad, just enough to fit the positive pin from the deck you removed with the insulator.

6) Place the silicon pad + the post then screw together using the 510 screw from the bottom of the RTA. Be very careful when tightening the 510 screw. Do not use excessive force or over tighten otherwise the gold screw will break!

The silicon pad acts a gasket and keeps the e juice within the deck.

images.jpg

Thermal Pad.jpg

IMG_20170813_105921_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170813_105947_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• kylin.JPG
    kylin.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back