VandyVape Phobia V2 RDA

Timwis

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
Hi Ecigssa members, In this review i take a look at the Phobia V2 RDA from VandyVape. The Phobia V2 RDA was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ariel from VandyVape.

http://vandyvape.com/atomizer/rda/atomiz...ia-v2-rda/

Introduction

It really isn't that long since the release of the original Phobia RDA, and here i have the Phobia V2 (again a collaboration between VandyVape and Alex from Vapers MD) so i was expecting pretty much the same RDA with just a slight modification hopefully for the better. There was nothing wrong with the original deck with a postless style of fitting your coils for ease and deep juice well so thankfully that remains the same apart from the airflow system has been removed from the deck. That's all that remains as there must be more alterations with the Phobia V2 than i have known with an atty to then keep the same name has it's original version. But are all those changes for the better? I give my opinion.

In the Box

Contents:

1pc Phobia V2 RDA
1pc Accessory Bag
1pc User Manual
1pc 810 Drip Tip
1pc PEI Drip Tip
1pc 510 Adaptor
1pc Coil Lead Guide
2 triple fused claptons (Ni80 0.3ohm 3.0ID)
BF Pin
510 adaptor
2 Blue screwdrivers
Allen key

Aesthetics

The Phobia V2 came in the usual VandyVape blue sample packaging which differs from the retail version. I received the Stainless Steel version, it's also available in Matte Black, Gun metal and Rainbow, it comes with an installed 810 delrin drip tip with cog shaped base, you get 2 other 810 variants plus a 510 adaptor so plenty of choice. On the front of the RDA we have "PHOBIA" etched with the "O" being a ghoul graphic, where you would normally expect to turn the top-cap being the inner sleeve is actually a false seam as the whole top section is the outer sleeve and turns. At the bottom which is now part of the inner sleeve we have a groove all the way around that adds aesthetically, above this is the seam where the outer sleeve ends. The main feature of the RDA aesthetically is the trio of vertical pill shaped airflow slots either side, moving to the base we have plenty of etched branding and safety stamps, it comes fitted with a standard Gold plated 510 which protrudes nicely (a BF pin is included). The RDA is very solidly made and has some nice reassuring weight, it feels and looks quality.

Phobia V2 Specs and Features:

Height: 25.2mm
Diameter: 24mm
Juice well capacity: 1ml
Airflow: Side
8.8mm deep juice well tank
Reduced chamber
Angled downward airflow holes to hit side and bottom of coils
Easy to build for single coil or dual coils
Detachable structure for easy cleaning
Thread: 510
Colours: Matte Black, Stainless Steel, Gun metal, Rainbow

The Airflow

Unlike most RDA's where the you turn the inner sleeve via the top to adjust the airflow the Phobia you turn the outer sleeve although still by turning the top section. This means the inner sleeve rather than outer sleeve is fitted to the base section which allows for the outlets to the deck being on the sleeve rather than the deck it'self. The outside slots are high on the sleeve and on the inner sleeve the metal where the slots are positioned is very thick, the slots have been machined through the metal at a very steep angle so the sides and bottom of coils will receive good air coverage, these very thick sides in the sleeve also reduces the chamber. When the inner sleeve is placed over the deck it locks into position so it's in the ideal position and sits on a shelve around the parameter of the base, it is secured with a very big o-ring.

The Deck and Build

With it's postless design and no airflow features on the deck itself to get in the way it's about as easy as it gets. You do need to cut your legs to length first and you get a coil guide tool which is marked to a recommended 7mm length. Once you have cut your legs unscrew the hex screws from the sides (you get supplied with a spare set of phillips) and place your legs into position with your coil leaning towards the centre of the deck. Once you have tightened your screws to fix the legs in position repeat with the other coil. When both coils are fixed you can manipulate them to your desired position with a coiling rod or other tool fit for purpose, then wick a normal with your cotton ends sitting in the well without over stuffing. Although the legs fit fine the threading isn't the best on the deck it'self which i can't be sure in time whether there will be a stripping issue.

It's For Squonking

The Phobia V2 comes with a standard 510 pin installed which after trying it i find strange. Using it initially with the standard pin i didn't get a major leaking issue but i did get e-liquid building up around where the outer and inner sleeve joint is that needed a wipe from time to time so it didn't trickle down onto my device, taking the outer sleeve off to drip made this issue far worse. However with the airflow slots being steeply angled there was no sign of leaking through these and this also prevented any spitting through the airflow slots, also where the inner sleeve sits on the shelf on the base secured by a big o-ring again seemed pretty leakproof, i certainly had no leaking. It didn't take any intelligence (luckily) to work out this RDA will shine using the BF pin rather than as a regular dripper, so i switched to the BF pin and it's a cracker on top of a squonker with no leaking issues whatsoever.

Dual and Single Build

Those that have read plenty of my RDA and RTA reviews will know i'm not into dual build decks that you can also do a single build on or a single build deck that has been promoted as also being able to do a dual build. I tend to find an RDA or RTA is far superior with one or the other but although only doing a dual build in the Phobia V2 this is possibly in my opinion an RDA with that reduced chamber and the way the coils are positioned that will do very well with both a dual and single build.

Final Thoughts Compared To Original Phobia

To me i noticed no improvement over the first version for flavour, after saying that it's not inferior to the original Phobia i really didn't notice any difference. The V2 has loads of air and i did need to adjust the airflow down to the slots only being half open but once done it gives a smooth restricted lung hit with very decent flavour, fine tuning the airflow needs a bit more patience with the vertical slots, horizontal slots or a series of many holes is a much better option for getting the airflow just right. I did expect the V2 to have great flavour with the reduced air chamber compared to the original so tried to work out a theory on why it is only matching the original. I can only come up with the airflow on V2 is not giving as good even coverage to the coils as the airflow was with the original which is slightly reducing flavour but then the flavour it gives is all being kept with the reduced chamber giving the same overall outcome. I do believe it to be better than the original especially using the BF pin as now the airflow does have it's benefits because i didn't suffer a hint of leaking using the Phobia V2 with the BF pin, although less important i think it looks better aesthetically but that's just my opinion.

Good build quality (apart from threads on deck)
I like it Aesthetically
Metal thick with some reassuring weight
Reduced Chamber
Comes with decent coils
Included BF pin
Included 510 adaptor
3 810 drip tips
Use own 810's or 510's
Decent flavour
Works great with BF pin
Suffered no leaking whatsoever using with BF pin
No spitting through airflow slots
Build very easy
Dual or single build

Dislikes

Fine tuning airflow takes a bit of patience
Flavour not an improvement to the original Phobia (although matches it)
Using as a regular dripper a little messy, liquid gathers where the inner and outer sleeve meet
Threads on deck not the greatest

I would once again like to thank Ariel for supplying the Phobia V2 RDA for the purpose of this review.

http://vandyvape.com/atomizer/rda/atomiz...ia-v2-rda/

Back