Vapetionary

Die Kriek

Vape Bug
LV

Awards
The vaping culture has developed a very interesting vocabulary of it's own in it's very short life, words like vape, e-juice and squonk have, as far as I can tell, come into our vocabularies solely because of this hobby, and others, like mod and stinky have taken on colourful new appearances.

Problem is, it's all in GB/US English. My family is mainly Afrikaans, so trying to explain to them what it is I'm getting myself into includes constant language switching, explanations, more switching, some anglicisms, you get the picture

We have 11 official languages in SA, and quite a few dialects, so I want to start a Vapetionary, where we can list all our local names for a mech, find/create names in our 10 other languages (those we have need for, no use making up a Venda word if we have no Venda users), and add descriptions, so newbies can understand us a little better

I'm still very much a noob, so the list below will be incomplete and will have errors, will update it as suggestions come in. Translations in black are direct translations, blue are custom (made up) translations

All Day Vape/ADV - afr: Heeldagdamp - A juice used for long periods of time, as opposed to a test/treat juice

Analogue/Stinky - afr: Kankerstokkie/Stinkstokkie/Stinkie - A traditional tobacco cigarette

Automatic Battery - afr: Automatiese Battery - A battery that activates automatically when the user takes a puff. These are most often found in beginners kits and cig-a-likes

Battery - afr: Battery - The battery used to power an electronic cigarette. Usually Lithium-Ion. Can either be a sealed unit (Vission Spinner, MVP) or a replaceable battery that is inserted into a Mod.

Atomizer/Atty - afr: Dampboks/Dampenjin/Attie - The part of an E-cig that vaporizes e-liquid for inhalation. Consists of a coil connected to the battery, wicking material, and in some cases a tank to store juice.

Cartomiser/Carto - afr: ? - An atomizer with a filler material above it to soak up juice and deliver to the atomizer. Old technology, now used almost exclusively in cig-a-likes.

Cig-a-like - afr: Amperstink - A type of vaping device that tries to mimic a real cigarette in size and looks

Clearomiser/Clearo - afr: Deurskyn Dampboks - A type of atomiser with a clear tank, and a coil unit at the top/bottom

Coil - afr: spoel - A piece of resistance wire wrapped in loops around the wick, heats up when a current is sent through to vaporize the juice

Drip Tip - afr: Suigstuk/Lektiet - The topmost part of most E-cigs, is put in the mouth when inhaling the vapour. Some have very large openings to allow the user to drip juice onto the atomiser without removing the tip, hence the name

Dripping - afr: Drup - A method of vaping where the user manually drips juice directly onto the atomiser

Dry Hit - afr: Droe Skoot - Taking a puff off a dry/burnt wick. Very bad taste

Electronic Cigarette/E-Cig - afr: E-Sigaret/Dampstok/Damper - A device that creates vapour to be inhaled. Also known as a Personal Vaporiser or PV

Electronic Mod/Digimod
- afr: Digidamper - An advanced battery unit containing electronic circuit protection as well as VV/VW selectors and other electronic additions (ohm-meters and puff counters being common additions)

E-liquid/E-Juice - afr: e-Sop/e-Sous/Dampsous - The liquid that e-cigs turn into vapour. Often simply referred to as juice

Flooding - afr: Vloeding - Occurs when too much juice gets into the atomizer, often due to excessive dripping

Gurgling - afr: Gorrel - Occurs when juice gets into any of the airflow parts of an atty/clearo. Caused by flooding, condensation or leaking

Jirrr/Jirrring - afr: jirrr - The vaping equivalent of a Cold Turkey

Kanthal - One of two common types of resistance wire used to make coils

mAh - Milliamp Hours. The capacity of a battery. The higher the mAh, the larger the battery will be and the longer it will last before requiring a recharge.

Mech/Mech Mod - afr: Eenstap - A battery device that contains no electronic parts, only a battery, casing and a on/off switch.

MOD/APV - afr: ? - Advanced Personal Vaporizer. The term MOD used to refer 'home made' device, but is now used for most advanced battery units.

Need-to-Have Disease (N2H) - afr:? - A constant need to have the newest mod, clearo or RBA on the market. Name inspired by Oom @Rob Fisher, who has N2H bad!

Nichrome - One of two common types of resistance wire used to make coils

Passthrough - afr: Deurgang Battery - A type of battery that can be used while charging

PG - afr: ? - Propylene Glycol. An ingredient found in most e-liquids. Thinner of the 2 base liquids, higher PG liquids have a higher Throat Hit

PV/Personal Vaporiser - See Electronic Cigarette

RBA/Rebuildable Atomizer - afr: Herboubare Dampboks - An advanced type of atomizer where the coil and wick is rebuilt by the user. There are 2 types of RBAs, the RDA, or Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer, that consists of only the atomizer unit, and a RTA, or Rebuildable Tank Atomizer that has a tank for storing juice either above or below the atomizer

Silver - afr: Silver - Inhaling way too much nicotine, feeling sick, and getting very close with the nearest couch. Doing a silver is easy, mastering the @Silver is an art form :D

Squonk - afr: Skwonk - Pushing juice into an atomizer from a bottle below it. Most commonly found on the Reo

Steeping - afr: Week - The precision art of doing nothing to your juice. Steeping a juice allows the ingredients to settle and the flavour to become more pronounced. The time it takes to properly steep a juice is dependant on many things, including personal taste.

Throat Hit (TH) - afr: Keelslag/Keelskoot/Keelskop - The slightly harsh, buring, tingling feeling at the back of your throat when vaping. Throat hit can be increased by increasing the Nicotine or PG of a liquid, or increasing power to the atomiser

Vape/Vaping - afr: Damp (om te damp) - Inhaling the vapour produced by e-cigs.

Vapist - afr: Dampster - A chain vaper of note, the Vapist, rather than being afraid of Silvers, welcomes them like old friends

Vapour - afr: Vog - The steam created by the electronic cigarette, which is inhaled and exhaled.

VG - afr: ? - Vegetable Glycerine. An ingredient found in most e-liquids. The thicker of the 2 base liquids. VG produces much more vapour, and has a slight sweet taste.

Variable Voltage/VV - afr: Verstelbare Spanning - A type of battery that allows the user to adjust the amount of Volts the battery sends to the atomiser.

Variable Power/Variable Wattage/VW - afr: Verstelbare Energie - A type of battery that allows the user to adjust the power (watts) output of the battery.

Wick - afr: Pit - A material used to guide juice into the coil to vaporize. Common wicking materials include Organic Cotton, Silica Wick and SS Mesh

Last edited:
The vaping culture has developed a very interesting vocabulary of it's own in it's very short life, words like vape, e-juice and squonk have, as far as I can tell, come into our vocabularies solely because of this hobby, and others, like mod and stinky have taken on colourful new appearances.

Problem is, it's all in GB/US English. My family is mainly Afrikaans, so trying to explain to them what it is I'm getting myself into includes constant language switching, explanations, more switching, some anglicisms, you get the picture

We have 11 official languages in SA, and quite a few dialects, so I want to start a Vapetionary, where we can list all our local names for a mech, find/create names in our 10 other languages (those we have need for, no use making up a Venda word if we have no Venda users), and add descriptions, so newbies can understand us a little better

I'm still very much a noob, so the list below will be incomplete and will have errors, will update it as suggestions come in. I've added the common ones' Afrikaans translations as well as a few I have found/made up myself, but these are by no means the actual translation, so feel free to suggest your own

All Day Vape/ADV ? afr:Heel dag aanlokking - A juice used for long periods of time, as opposed to a test/treat juice

Analogue/Stinky ? afr: Stinkstokkie - A traditional tobacco cigarette

Battery ? afr: Battery - The battery used to power an electronic cigarette. Usually Lithium-Ion. Can either be a sealed unit (Vission Spinner, MVP) or a replaceable battery that is inserted into a Mod.

Atomiser/Atty ? afr:Attie - The part of an E-cig that vaporizes e-liquid for inhalation. Consists of a coil connected to the battery, wicking material, and in some cases a tank to store juice.

Clearomiser/Clearo ? afr:deursigtig trektoestel - A type of atomiser with a clear tank, and a coil unit at the top/bottom

Drip Tip ? afr:lektiet - The topmost part of most E-cigs, is put in the mouth when inhaling the vapour. Some have very large openings to allow the user to drip juice onto the atomiser without removing the tip, hence the name

Electronic Cigarette/E-Cig ? afr: E-Sigaret - A device that creates vapour to be inhaled.

E-liquid/E-Juice ? afr: e-Sop/e-Sous - The liquid that e-cigs turn into vapour. Often simply referred to as juice

mAh ? afr: - Miliamps Hour. The capacity of a battery. The higher the mAh, the larger the battery will be and the longer it will last before requiring a recharge.

Mech - afr:Meganiese pyp - A battery device that contains no electronic parts, only a battery, casing and a on/off switch

MOD ? afr:Elektroniese pyp - Used to be used for a 'home made' device, now used for most advanced battery units

PG ? afr: - Propylene Glycol. An ingredient found in most e-liquids. Thinner of the 2 base liquids, higher PG liquids have a higher Throat Hit

PV ? afr: - Personal Vapouriser. An alternative name for an electronic cigarette.

Squonk ? afr: - Pushing juice into an atomiser from a bottle below it. Most commonly found on the Reo
Throat Hit (TH) ? afr:Keelslag - The slightly harsh, buring, tingling feeling at the back of your throat when vaping. Throat hit can be increased by increasing the Nicotine or PG of a liquid, or increasing power to the atomiser

Vape/Vaping ? afr:Vog trek - Inhaling the vapour produced by e-cigs.

Vapour ? afr: Vog - The steam created by the electronic cigarette, which is inhaled and exhaled.

VG ? afr: - Vegetable Glycerine. An ingredient found in most e-liquids. The thicker of the 2 base liquids. VG produces much more vapour, and has a slight sweet taste.

Variable Voltage/VV ? afr: Verstelbare Volts - A type of battery that allows the user to adjust the amount of Volts the battery sends to the atomiser.

Variable Power/Variable Wattage/VW ? afr: Verstelbare Krag - A type of battery that allows the user to adjust the power (watts) output of the battery.

Off the top of my head in blue.............:D

this is extremely useful, especially for the noobs

well done @Die Kriek

Lektiet? Where the hells did that come from?
P.S. Thanks for the laugh

Like I said ....off the top of my head......no explanation necessary!!!:)

Like it, put forward some suggestions in Afrikaans in your post above - in blue.

How about we start a vaping wikki - I'm happy to host it on our site, or if @Gizmo want's to host it here that would be cool too - then we can all add and modify as we see fit

I would gladly host it here as the traffic it generates would make the most sense for more vapers to see. I understand that having all vaping info in a "wiki" type format is easier to see. But isn't the stickied threads we have the same thing?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I would gladly host it here as the traffic it generates would make the most sense for more vapers to see. I understand that having all vaping info in a "wiki" type format is easier to see. But isn't the stickied threads we have the same thing?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
I agree, we have enough such info here and internationally. Sounds like unnecessary work to maintain at this stage.

Updated to include suggestions, and to add a few that I missed.

The glossary on Pbussardo's site felt a bit outdated, so I just took the terms that I thought were relevant and put in my own description

I like what you guys have done above. Brilliant.
Like the addition of Afrikaans terms which makes it quite unique

Updated again to add a few more terms and clean up a bit

Still need translations for a few, and I know there are still terms missing, so suggestions are welcome

Last edited:
Just one correction -
mAh is milliamp hours not milliamps per hour
And its milli with two "l"s, not just 1

I have not laughed so hard for a word "Lektiet" in such a long time....I have coffee over my keyboard and monitor, pain on my tummy and tears running down my cheeks...Lektiet hehehe

English // Afrikaans:
Stinky // stinkie
Throat Hit // Keelskop
Variable Voltage // Verstelbare Spanning
Variable Wattage // Verstelbare Energie
Wick // Pit

I have not laughed so hard for a word "Lektiet" in such a long time....I have coffee over my keyboard and monitor, pain on my tummy and tears running down my cheeks...Lektiet hehehe
Hope you guys are getting some lektiete in in the future!:D

Hope you guys are getting some lektiete in in the future!:D

Gosh Tyler I have about 50 different come backs to that and not one is decent enough for this subsection....so behaving and all, of course we will be getting some "lektiete" ....hehehh

I think it's official, the Afrikaans word for Drip Tip is now and forever more, 'lektiet'. No way that one's going to be forgotten

Back